+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking advise - leaving Canada after oath

Vera2018

Nov 28, 2018
Dear all, I would like to seek your advices for a few questions. My son has done his citizenship exam in late May. Based on the timeline on the forum, he's likely to get an oath ceremony invitation in 2-3 months (applied from Toronto). He is currently attending a university in the US. It will be easier to manage it if the oath ceremony is scheduled during summer break. However if he gets it in September or later, it is impossible for him to stay in Canada for several weeks for the citizenship certificate. He will have to return to school immediately after the oath - maybe staying in Canada for a maximum of one week.

My questions are:
1, Should he tell IRCC at the oath ceremony that he is studying in the US and request urgent process of his application for the citizenship certificate? I read someone said at the oath ceremony they will ask if you are travelling out of Canada soon, and you have to reply "No". If that's the case, he will have to hide the fact that he's studying in the US, rather than telling IRCC and request for a urgent processing of citizenship certificate, no?

2, If he leaves and give an address of a friend in Canada, can his friend receive the citizenship certificate on his behalf, or he has to receive it himself? Would it work with a letter of delegation nortarised by an attorney?

3, RICC website allows to send the citizenship certificate to an address in the US. This contradicts the message that in my first question that they want you to confirm that you are not travelling outside of Canada. So is this a provision for citizenship certificate replacement, not for first time applicants? I definitely don't want to complicate the issue by putting a US address in the application.

Thank you all for your help!

Last edited:

vir03

Star Member
Jun 14, 2013
Dear all, I would like to seek your advices for a few questions. My son has done his citizenship exam in late May. Based on the timeline on the forum, he's likely to get an oath ceremony invitation in 2-3 months (applied from Toronto). He is currently attending a university in the US. It will be easier to manage it if the oath ceremony is scheduled during summer break. However if he gets it in September or later, it is impossible for him to stay in Canada for several weeks for the citizenship certificate. He will have to return to school immediately after the oath - maybe staying in Canada for a maximum of one week.

My questions are:
1, Should he tell IRCC at the oath ceremony that he is studying in the US and request urgent process of his application for the citizenship certificate? I read someone said at the oath ceremony they will ask if you are travelling out of Canada soon, and you have to reply "No". If that's the case, he will have to hide the fact that he's studying in the US, rather than telling IRCC and request for a urgent processing of citizenship certificate, no?

2, If he leaves and give an address of a friend in Canada, can his friend receive the citizenship certificate on his behalf, or he has to receive it himself? Would it work with a letter of delegation nortarised by an attorney?

3, RICC website allows to send the citizenship certificate to an address in the US. This contradicts the message that in my first question that they want you to confirm that you are not travelling outside of Canada. So is this a provision for citizenship certificate replacement, not for first time applicants? I definitely don't want to complicate the issue by putting a US address in the application.

Thank you all for your help!
Could you please share a link from IRCC stating that they can send the citizenship certificate in USA?

vir03

Star Member
Jun 14, 2013
So if we don’t ask for urgent processing, no question asked about leaving the country?

yeezee

Aug 23, 2019
In my oath ceremony last week (remote, Niagara), I told the officer I need my certificate expedited due to work travel. The officer said reasons related to work are valid reasons for expedited shipping and asked me to explain my situation and attach proof of need in the email with the scanned signed oath letter. Before and during the oath they confirmed my Canada address (I had a US address on file). I did not ask to ship it outside Canada.

I did not get any confirmation on whether it will be expedited or not but my case (that online tracker) was marked completed the same day of oath, and closed in the second day. It's almost been a week and I am still waiting for the certificate.

vir03

Star Member
Jun 14, 2013
In my oath ceremony last week (remote, Niagara), I told the officer I need my certificate expedited due to work travel. The officer said reasons related to work are valid reasons for expedited shipping and asked me to explain my situation and attach proof of need in the email with the scanned signed oath letter. Before and during the oath they confirmed my Canada address (I had a US address on file). I did not ask to ship it outside Canada.

I did not get any confirmation on whether it will be expedited or not but my case (that online tracker) was marked completed the same day of oath, and closed in the second day. It's almost been a week and I am still waiting for the certificate.
Thank you. I am in the similar situation. Work is in the US and the address on the file is from USA as well. I am planning to complete the oath and come back to USA and get the certificate delivered in USA only.
Did the officer say anything about shipping certificate in USA?

vir03

Star Member
Jun 14, 2013

Also, my ceremony is also remote, Niagara

yeezee

Aug 23, 2019

Yeah just received my certificate minutes ago via purolator. It was shipped one day after my case is closed.

So they did approve my expedite request but just did not reply the email.

Time line in business days:
Day 1: oath, and tracker shows oath completed
Day 2: tracker shows cased closed
Day 3: mailed out by purolator (same province)
Day 4: waiting
Day 5: received the certificate

Reactions: vir03

vir03

Star Member
Jun 14, 2013
Yeah just received my certificate minutes ago via purolator. It was shipped one day after my case is closed.

So they did approve my expedite request but just did not reply the email.

Time line in business days:
Day 1: oath, and tracker shows oath completed
Day 2: tracker shows cased closed
Day 3: mailed out by purolator (same province)
Day 4: waiting
Day 5: received the certificate
Congratulations

Reactions: yeezee

yeezee

Aug 23, 2019
Thank you. I am in the similar situation. Work is in the US and the address on the file is from USA as well. I am planning to complete the oath and come back to USA and get the certificate delivered in USA only.
Did the officer say anything about shipping certificate in USA?
Sorry I did not even try to ask that.
From other forum member's experience, they will ship plain mail to the US and it would take months to arrive. And yeah, USPS is the worst

I recommend you stay here for 1-2 weeks after ceremony and make a strong case (solid proofs) to expedite your certificate.

vir03

Star Member
Jun 14, 2013
Sure, would you please guide me on how did you make a strong case and which documents you provided to the officer?

vir03

Star Member
Jun 14, 2013
Is it possible to speak with you? I cannot send messages to you. If you can share your phone number in the message, it would be appreciated

yeezee

Aug 23, 2019
Sure, would you please guide me on how did you make a strong case and which documents you provided to the officer?
I just sent them my employment verification letter, in the letter my company states my job start date and job location somewhere in the US. In the email I explained my situation (I just joined the company, I am using up my paid leave etc., needs to travel) and thanked them for the support.

BogusApplicant

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
Sorry I did not even try to ask that.
From other forum member's experience, they will ship plain mail to the US and it would take months to arrive. And yeah, USPS is the worst

I recommend you stay here for 1-2 weeks after ceremony and make a strong case (solid proofs) to expedite your certificate.
Did you update your residence address to a US address? If yes, did that invite any specific questions or queries from CIC?

vir03

Star Member
Jun 14, 2013
I just sent them my employment verification letter, in the letter my company states my job start date and job location somewhere in the US. In the email I explained my situation (I just joined the company, I am using up my paid leave etc., needs to travel) and thanked them for the support.
So I have decided that I will stay in Canada for sometime until I get my certificate.
Just a question, I saw on the PDF for the Oath invitation ask to have a specific subject line with a case number and name.

did you put anything like, “Urgent Request “ or anything in the subject line or just mentioned the situation in the body of the email?