+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking Advice: PR Card Expiring Soon, Limited Stay in Canada

rajanshah176

Nov 30, 2017
Hello everyone,

I hope you're doing well. I have a situation regarding my PR card, and I'm seeking some advice.

My PR card is set to expire in February 2024. However, since obtaining PR status, I've been primarily in the USA due to an approved H1B visa, and I haven't fulfilled the 730-day stay obligation in Canada over the last 5 years.

Next July, I plan to visit Canada for tourism and to meet friends. Considering my circumstances, I'm unsure about the best course of action:

1. Should I apply for a PRTD?
2. Is it advisable to apply for a visitor visa?
3. Would it make sense to renounce my PR first and then apply for a visitor visa?

I appreciate any insights or guidance you can provide. Thank you!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

I hope you're doing well. I have a situation regarding my PR card, and I'm seeking some advice.

My PR card is set to expire in February 2024. However, since obtaining PR status, I've been primarily in the USA due to an approved H1B visa, and I haven't fulfilled the 730-day stay obligation in Canada over the last 5 years.

Next July, I plan to visit Canada for tourism and to meet friends. Considering my circumstances, I'm unsure about the best course of action:

1. Should I apply for a PRTD?
2. Is it advisable to apply for a visitor visa?
3. Would it make sense to renounce my PR first and then apply for a visitor visa?

I appreciate any insights or guidance you can provide. Thank you!
If you don't plan to live in Canada, just let your PR card expired.

As for your plan to visit Canada for tourism, you can either do one of the following:

1) You can renounce your PR now, so that you can apply visitor visa later
2) With your expired PR card, you can enter Canada in July via a land border.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Without a valid PR Card you may not be able to return to Canada via a commercial carrier (US passport holders appear to be the exception to that rule, but still not an absolute guarantee). Unless you are returning to Canada in a personal vehicle (or crossing by foot) you would likely need a PRTD, but...you may not be approved because you have not met (nor can you meet) the Residency Obligation to maintain your PR status. As @steaky mentioned, your expired card will allow you to `enter' Canada (when encountering a CBSA officer), but it's the `being transported to Canada via a commercial carrier' part that will be your sticking point.

The card expires, but the status does not. It can (in cases like yours) be revoked for non-compliance of the R.O., however. In any event, you will be allowed to enter, but may be issued a 44(1) report from CBSA that would be the first step in your status being revoked.

2. No, because as a PR you are not eligible for a visitor visa. You are no longer deemed to be a visitor when entering Canada.

3. If you plan to continue to live in the U.S., it does make sense.

rajanshah176

Nov 30, 2017
Appreciate your response, are there any other options that I can try?
I will be taking a cruise to Canada in July.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
- Applying for a new PR card won't work since you don't meet the residency requirement.
- For similar reasons, a PRTD will not be possible.
- You can drive across the border with an expired PR card and you will be allowed into Canada. However you will then have a problem getting on the cruise since a cruise requires you to have a valid Canadian visa or other valid Canadian status identity document in order to be able to sail. Your PR card will be expired by then. If that's all you have, you should expect the cruise line will deny boarding.
- Only option I see if you want to take the cruise in July is to renounce your PR status and apply for a TRV.

Reactions: canuck78 and YVR123

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
As @scylla explained, a cruise will have the same requirements as a flight to Canada (usually anyway).

I'd also note: will your cruise cross the border/put in to ports in Canada/USA in/out of order? Note that crossing the border one time is one thing, doing so several times another.

rajanshah176

Nov 30, 2017
As @scylla explained, a cruise will have the same requirements as a flight to Canada (usually anyway).

I'd also note: will your cruise cross the border/put in to ports in Canada/USA in/out of order? Note that crossing the border one time is one thing, doing so several times another.
It is a cruise starting from Seattle going to Alaska and they have one port stop in Victoria BC.

All in all from what I read above I think my only option is to renounce my PR and then apply for a visitor visa.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It is a cruise starting from Seattle going to Alaska and they have one port stop in Victoria BC.

All in all from what I read above I think my only option is to renounce my PR and then apply for a visitor visa.
Check with the cruise line. To the best of my knowledge you need one of the following to board the cruise:

- Valid Canadian passport
- Valid Canadian PR card
- Valid US passport
- Valid US green card
- Valid TRV
- Valid eTA

You can't get a valid PR card since you don't meet RO and you can't get a TRV without first renouncing your PR status. So IMO renouncing PR and getting a TRV is your only option.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You can't get a valid PR card since you don't meet RO and you can't get a TRV without first renouncing your PR status. So IMO renouncing PR and getting a TRV is your only option.
I believe a PRTD - which would look like a valid visa to the cruise line - would also work as well.

Of course, chances are would be denied without good H&C reasons, but it is an option to apply. (IMHO probably doesn't make sense in this case, but putting a pin in it should others read this thread)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I believe a PRTD - which would look like a valid visa to the cruise line - would also work as well.

Of course, chances are would be denied without good H&C reasons, but it is an option to apply. (IMHO probably doesn't make sense in this case, but putting a pin in it should others read this thread)
In this case I think a multiple entry PRTD would likely be needed.

But agreed the PRTD route really isn't realistic at this point given it would need to be H&C, the related processing times, etc.

Reactions: armoured

rajanshah176

Nov 30, 2017
I express my gratitude for the valuable contributions provided by all participants in this discussion.

It is my sincere expectation that this thread will serve as a helpful resource for individuals encountering similar circumstances.

After careful consideration, I have decided not to pursue the application for a PRTD, as potential denial could introduce further complications. Instead, I have opted to initiate the process of renouncing my PR status and subsequently apply for a visitor visa.

rajanshah176

Nov 30, 2017
One last question, does anyone know how long it takes to get confirmation of my PR renounce?
Also should I wait for time after official renounce and then apply for visitor visa?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
One last question, does anyone know how long it takes to get confirmation of my PR renounce?
Also should I wait for time after official renounce and then apply for visitor visa?
Not something people regularly apply for but would give yourself 2+ months at the very least.