+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking advice on visa/eTA and study permit process for studying abroad from UK for 1yr

Ouka

Mar 19, 2019
Hi, I've been nominated by my UK university to study for 1st semester at Seneca College in Toronto, and I'm looking into studying the 2nd semester as a free-mover.

I'm having some issues working out what to do about a visa/study permit. It takes 23 weeks for a study permit to be processed once you've recieved enrolment at your institution in Canada, but because I have a few weeks before this happens I will already need to be in the country and studying before that would be approved.

I'm aware that I can register for an Electronic Travel Authorization for a study period of 6 months or less, but I don't know if I can use that in the meantime while the study permit is processing?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi, I've been nominated by my UK university to study for 1st semester at Seneca College in Toronto, and I'm looking into studying the 2nd semester as a free-mover.

I'm having some issues working out what to do about a visa/study permit. It takes 23 weeks for a study permit to be processed once you've recieved enrolment at your institution in Canada, but because I have a few weeks before this happens I will already need to be in the country and studying before that would be approved.

I'm aware that I can register for an Electronic Travel Authorization for a study period of 6 months or less, but I don't know if I can use that in the meantime while the study permit is processing?
I'm pretty sure that because the overall length of the intended study is more than six months, you can't use the eTA as a stop gap. You need an upfront study permit for the whole period.

Reactions: Ouka and scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

To study under an ETA, the entire length of your studies must be 6 months or less. If the duration of your studies is more than six months - you need a study permit right from the start.

Reactions: Ouka

Ouka

Mar 19, 2019
I'm pretty sure that because the overall length of the intended study is more than six months, you can't use the eTA as a stop gap. You need an upfront study permit for the whole period.
To study under an ETA, the entire length of your studies must be 6 months or less. If the duration of your studies is more than six months - you need a study permit right from the start.
Thank you both for your replies!

Do you know if it is possible to study while a permit is being processed? A friend living Canada has advised that that could be the case if I meet a certain criteria and can obtain implied status, but he hasn't personally gone through any process for studying. If not, I expect I won't be able to study the full year then. 23 weeks from now gives me until August, but it will be up to a month before I can even apply for the permit while I wait for enrolment.

I've emailed the Canadian Consolate here in London to ask for advice, and maybe the College will be able to help in some way. Unfortunately, our university's contact in Toronto hasn't resoponded to my application queries for over 2 weeks.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

Do you know if it is possible to study while a permit is being processed? A friend living Canada has advised that that could be the case if I meet a certain criteria and can obtain implied status, but he hasn't personally gone through any process for studying. If not, I expect I won't be able to study the full year then. 23 weeks from now gives me until August, but it will be up to a month before I can even apply for the permit while I wait for enrolment.

I've emailed the Canadian Consolate here in London to ask for advice, and maybe the College will be able to help in some way. Unfortunately, our university's contact in Toronto hasn't resoponded to my application queries for over 2 weeks.
In a word, nope. Implied status doesn't apply to your situation. Sorry.
I doubt that the Canadian Consulate in London will even respond, let alone provide you with helpful information.

Ouka

Mar 19, 2019
In a word, nope. Implied status doesn't apply to your situation. Sorry.
I doubt that the Canadian Consulate in London will even respond, let alone provide you with helpful information.
Ok, thank you for clarifying! I've never had to apply for a visa of any sort before so I'm not familiar with how any of this works. At least I know I will be able to apply for an eTA for the semester I've been approved for without having to worry.

Honestly, I just got desperate for answers. My university can't advise on visa matters, and the representative at Seneca College who could have advised me sooner has completely ghosted my emails so I thought heck, why not.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

No - definitely not possible to study while you wait for the permit to be processed. You must be holding a valid study permit to study. Don't listen to your friend - he/she doesn't know what they are taking about and will create problems for your status in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok, thank you for clarifying! I've never had to apply for a visa of any sort before so I'm not familiar with how any of this works. At least I know I will be able to apply for an eTA for the semester I've been approved for without having to worry.
Just to be clear, you can only study this semester on the eTA if you have no plans to continue that program and study a second semester. In other words, if you study the first semester on the eTA, you will have to end your studies there. Further semesters in the same program won't be possible.