+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seek refuge at US Canada borders

UnDyInG

Apr 2, 2018
Hello everyone,

I'm currently a student in the US (expired visa), and my family is living in Canada legally, and they have work permits, I'm from Syria, and I'm planing to come to Canada via official port of entry, and seek asylum on that point.

Based on what i saw, Canada has an agreement with US (Safe Third Country), and that i'm exempt from this agreement because i have a family working in canada.

I was wondering if you know the answers to the following questions :

1- Is there a chance that they would deport me to US - or worse to Syria ?
2- After going to hearing, how long will it take to get a PR card ?

Thanks a lot

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is currently taking around 20 months or more to get a hearing for asylum. It would take 25 months after that to get PR. I would assume it may take around 5 years because wait times will like continue to increase. Not knowing your case nobody can guarantee you might not be returned to the US. Highly doubt you would be returned to Syria but don't know anything about your background so can't say 100% yes.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello everyone,

I'm currently a student in the US (expired visa), and my family is living in Canada legally, and they have work permits, I'm from Syria, and I'm planing to come to Canada via official port of entry, and seek asylum on that point.

Based on what i saw, Canada has an agreement with US (Safe Third Country), and that i'm exempt from this agreement because i have a family working in canada.

I was wondering if you know the answers to the following questions :

2- After going to hearing, how long will it take to get a PR card ?

Thanks a lot
I believe that you get deported to your country of citizenship, not where you last came from. The USA has no obligation to allow you to enter but your country of citizenship does.

Reactions: scylla

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Exactly. Should your asylum claim fail, they will try to deport you your country of origin. However this might be delayed if such deportation is not possible at time. The problem is that you will not have any long term status in Canada. But you can certainly try. Just remember you need to have proof that specifically you would be affected if you return back to your country.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Once you claim asylum in Canada, and seeing your US visa is expired anyways, US would not accept you back. In fact since you overstayed your US visa you will most likely be given a ban from US for some time once you leave. So if asylum claim fails, you would be deported to your home country or any other country of your choosing where you can legally go.

UnDyInG

Apr 2, 2018
It is currently taking around 20 months or more to get a hearing for asylum. It would take 25 months after that to get PR. I would assume it may take around 5 years because wait times will like continue to increase. Not knowing your case nobody can guarantee you might not be returned to the US. Highly doubt you would be returned to Syria but don't know anything about your background so can't say 100% yes.
Thanks a lot for your reply, i saw on their site that the hearing should be in 60 days after the entrance from a border point, the background is political opposition, but my most concern is the time :(

UnDyInG

Apr 2, 2018
I believe that you get deported to your country of citizenship, not where you last came from. The USA has no obligation to allow you to enter but your country of citizenship does.
Thanks a lot, based on your experience, do you know if they can they deport to Syria ? specially with the ongoing conflict ? and that I'm facing death if i got deported there?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks a lot for your reply, i saw on their site that the hearing should be in 60 days after the entrance from a border point, the background is political opposition, but my most concern is the time :(
Think you need to change your attitude. Luckily you the option to come to Canada and claim asylum or claim asylum in the US. many do not have that opportunity.

Here2help

Star Member
Apr 30, 2017
They give a date for hearing within 60 days ryt after you submit your refugee claim. But now a days almost 95% people’s hearing is getting postponed. Because of overload of the refugee claims and lack of judges. And once your hearing is postponed you will stuck for 18-24 months to get a new date.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The current estimate is 20 months. I would guess 2 years is probably more likely. Then you will need to apply for PR which is now 25 months but would guess that will also continue to get longer.