+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seek advice on withdraw and re-apply please help

LargeLanguageModelBot

Sep 6, 2023
Long heartbreaking story short: I realized yesterday that I missed reporting a two-week vacation of mine, which would make my application 10 days short.
By searching this forum, it seems that the best legit solution is to withdraw the application and reapply.
I have already submitted the webform to IRCC to withdraw my application.
Can I reapply right away online because now I've got way more sufficient days? For anyone who has experienced the withdrawal and re-application process, can you share your experience (even privately, just message me directly)?
Thank you so much.

LargeLanguageModelBot

Sep 6, 2023
In addition, I was wondering what the consequences of withdrawing an application are? How would that impact my next one?
I know I might be too panicked to withdraw and I've done that already... via webform.
Really need your suggestions here! Thank you

dpenabill I know you are really knowledgable on this by searching this forum and it would be great if you can shed light on it.

Last edited:

aceinthedeck

Star Member
Jul 27, 2017
Toronto
I'm not sure about the withdrawal process and when you should reapply. However, there should be no consequences of withdrawing an application.

adbcca

Feb 21, 2019
There is no issue with withdrawing your application and applying again; you will just have to pay again as you can't use the same receipt if you had an AOR before. If you did not withdraw your application, they will put your file on hold for years with no update, and in the end, they will tell you that you are short of days, so what you did was a good decision

KerryLad

Sep 12, 2023
Hello poster, I am in a similar situation. Although I had enough days with my application. I did not hear back on the application for months and decided to call. On the phone call they told me they could not locate my application and I would have to reapply again (even though I paid for the initial).

They mentioned on the call I could use my old payment receipt for my new application. So I am back to square one with all this. Anyone else run into this situation also?

I did an online and I have difficulty logging into the system with my original email. If making a new application do you provide a new email?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
In addition, I was wondering what the consequences of withdrawing an application are? How would that impact my next one?
I know I might be too panicked to withdraw and I've done that already... via webform.
Really need your suggestions here! Thank you
As others commented, there is no particular or direct consequence for withdrawing an application that affects a PR's eligibility for a grant of citizenship when another application is made.

There is NO reason to be at all worried about it having a negative effect on a subsequent application, at least for most (there are exceptions, such as if the first application raised questions about misrepresentation).

Further Observations Re Indirect Influence of Withdrawn Application:

Foremost, again, generally and for the vast majority, no need to think much about this, no need to worry. What matters is whether the individual is eligible for citizenship when they make a later application. So the rest of this can be skipped . . . the rest is FWIW, FWII (For-What-It's-Worth, For-Who-Is-Interested).

That said, like other actions and situations, it is a circumstance that is of record in the client's GCMS (not sure how long, but many years at least) which will be noted during the processing of a subsequent grant citizenship application, regarding which it's influence or impact depends on the particular facts and circumstances. Generally it would have minimal if any impact in the most common scenarios, that is cases where the individual made a mistake in the first application and applied when short of meeting the physical presence requirement by a little (or even by a lot if it is apparent it was a mistake, such as an application made mistakenly relying on some period of time that does not count). And, actually, in many of these cases, it appears the subsequent application can sail through more easily than most . . . it will not get expedited processing but for most, those continuing to be settled and living in Canada, the track record laid down in the first application plus the additional days in Canada by the time of the next application, tend to be circumstances readily reassuring Processing Agents and Citizenship Officers as to the facts in the applicant's case, including in particular the applicant's physical presence.

In contrast, if the application is withdrawn in circumstances indicating substantive issues that might have negative implications as to the individual's credibility (suspected misrepresentation for example) or admissibility (such as criminal or security related concerns), that can (more likely it will) trigger elevated scrutiny, which can mean non-routine processing with attendant delays.

Since we do not have anywhere near a current version of the triage criteria, employed by IRCC to identify reasons-to-question-presence, it is not known whether a previously withdrawn application is still one of the criteria. It was, item listed under "Applicant Characteristics," that is item A-3 in File Requirements Checklist:
"A3 - Previous citizenship applications which were not approved, withdrawn, abandoned, renounced or revoked."​

However, even when it was for sure still part of the triage criteria, it was readily apparent that those applications withdrawn due to the applicant more or less mistakenly applying too soon, so falling short of the presence requirement, not only did not, not typically, get RQ'd, but generally seemed to sail through the process as smoothly, as routinely, as it goes.

In contrast, if the circumstances attendant the first application raised concerns about credibility, or there were inadmissibility issues, those concerns will likely still affect the applicant unless and until they are resolved.

That is, what matters most are the particular facts and circumstances in the individual's situation, not that a previous application has been withdrawn but why.

Hello poster, I am in a similar situation. Although I had enough days with my application. I did not hear back on the application for months and decided to call. On the phone call they told me they could not locate my application and I would have to reapply again (even though I paid for the initial).

They mentioned on the call I could use my old payment receipt for my new application. So I am back to square one with all this. Anyone else run into this situation also?

I did an online and I have difficulty logging into the system with my original email. If making a new application do you provide a new email?
You do not appear to be in a similar situation. Not close. It appears you did not have a citizenship application in process, and did not withdraw an application.

As long as an attempt to make an application did not result in it going into processing, you should indeed be able to make a new application using the fees paid.

CAUTION: not clear what happened with the first application, but obviously you want to be extra-careful making another application, including in how you submit it. Lost applications are RARE. Something was almost certainly awry in either the application or in how you submitted it.

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
I would recommend searching the forum, I think some people had difficulties with reapplying too quickly, because the old application was still open. But that could be because they were reusing the receipt, so may be not your case. Still might be worth it to look into it before you apply again.

LargeLanguageModelBot

Sep 6, 2023
I would recommend searching the forum, I think some people had difficulties with reapplying too quickly, because the old application was still open. But that could be because they were reusing the receipt, so may be not your case. Still might be worth it to look into it before you apply again.
Thank you. I've searched the forum and didn't find data points about people reapplying. If you know such data points can you point me to it, please?
The application I withdrew was in process, and hence I would pay twice for sure and using a new receipt. I'm just worried that I cannot use the same email address (or, that is a sign that they haven't completely ceased my current application yet and I don't know).

Yvr2022

Feb 21, 2022

I made a mistake with my online application, I submitted the receipt without seeing that receipt was voided because the credit card payment didn’t go through. When I realized my mistake an hour after I submitted the application, I immediately reapplied with new email address and a correct receipt for the citizenship application payment. It worked and it didn’t delay my application.

About 2 months after I applied, I received 2 emails on the same day from IRCC; 1 email was sent to my orginal email that I used to submit my first application the email stating that my application was incomplete because of the voided receipt. And I received another email sent to the new email address that I created just to resubmit my application with the new receipt and that email was my AOR.

canada nature

Star Member
Sep 2, 2023
Thank you. I've searched the forum and didn't find data points about people reapplying. If you know such data points can you point me to it, please?
The application I withdrew was in process, and hence I would pay twice for sure and using a new receipt. I'm just worried that I cannot use the same email address (or, that is a sign that they haven't completely ceased my current application yet and I don't know).
How long did it take for you to cancel your application ? is it cancelled now ?

LargeLanguageModelBot

Sep 6, 2023
End of story with a timeline:
Submitted withdrawal on Sept 15th. Received a paper letter saying withdrawal was successful on Oct 6th. The tracker was marked as complete with withdrawal on Oct 6th. Submitted another application already and things are smooth so far, as if the withdrawal didn't happen.
Thank you, especially @dpenabill and @adbcca

Reactions: adbcca

Dattateja

Star Member
Jun 3, 2020
End of story with a timeline:
Submitted withdrawal on Sept 15th. Received a paper letter saying withdrawal was successful on Oct 6th. The tracker was marked as complete with withdrawal on Oct 6th. Submitted another application already and things are smooth so far, as if the withdrawal didn't happen.
Thank you, especially @dpenabill and @adbcca
Hey did you receive any update on your new application? Have they asked questions about your withdrawn application? Did you wait for the withdrawal to go through or reapplied right away? Last question did you use the same email address to apply or use a new one?

Last edited:

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
I have a concern. My wife and I applied for PR through the home childcare route in January 2023, however we got ITA in December 2023.

We did not fill our entire work experience in the Home child care route application because the form had limited spaces, however, we have now withdrawn the application and also gotten confirmation of withdrawal and we are about to submit our new application for the ITA we got.

We have included all the experience in our personal history to the smallest details, all the entries in the Home child care application are also included in our personal history in this new application.

My question is will our withdrawn application have an effect on this application?
Can it be seen as misrepresentation since we withdrew the application?
What are the potential consequences?
You're in the wrong forum, this one is citizenship applications :)