danhass

Sep 21, 2010
US
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
I recently moved to Kitchener-Waterloo (KW) area as a new PR. I have decided to get basic security training to get the security guard licence.

Today I called about a dozen security firms and colleges (in KW) for training course but each responded differently. Some ask to apply for a security job first. Some say they are booked until next year. Some say their course starts in September. One college wouldn't even tell me anything on phone and would ask to visit them in person first.

Plus I heard KW has one of the worst job situation, low jobs, more unemployment.

What is the standard/best/easiest/cheapest way to get training and exam and licence?

- Are there youtube training videos that I can watch and take the exam instead of enrolling in an expensive college first?
- If I apply at a firm and they get me training and licence, am I locked to that firm and have to sign a contract to be with them?
- Is it better to train in college and be a free agent? or apply/join a security company first?
- Is the process easier in Toronto than KW? I think I'll have to bite the bullet and get the training in Toronto. It'll cost me $30 GO transit everyday for the training days (1 or 2 weeks I guess).
- Is there a recommended company/college in Toronto? I think KW is a hopeless situation.

One important thing: I need a job that I can join/leave easily. So I don't want to get into long term contracts (even a 3 month contract is long term for me) with companies. Is that possible?

(x-posted to 'Skilled Worker/Professional Immigration')

danhass

Sep 21, 2010
US
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
Alright guys, after much confusion and frustration, I've finally found the "potentially" best way: Blue Knight Security! NOTE: I say potentially because I haven't started it yet (haven't paid any money). Once I go through the whole process, I'll know for sure, and update you guys.

Their website: http://www.securitytrainingontario.com/ or http://www.blueknightsecurity.ca/

Why this company?

• cheap ($129 plus $80 to $100 for first-aid/CPR) ... (NOTE: $60 for exam, and $80 for licence app is not included ... meaning total expense is $350 to $370 ... still one of the cheapest I think)
  • online (from the comfort of your home, connected to internet) except for the first-aid/CPR, which is hands-on, but can be done at nearest Canadian Red Cross, just one-time 8-hour commitment.
  • the last point means you can get the licence from anywhere in Canada (don't have to be in Toronto or near big security company locations)
  • you can start the course anytime, no need to wait for classes to begin or anything
  • to be sure this is not a scam, I checked Ontario list of security training providers and Blue Knight is listed, then I called Blue Knight and confirmed that securitytrainingontario.com is their website

I will go through the process and update you about my experience. Meanwhile if anyone knows about this company or anything I need to beware of, let me know.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
danhass said:
Alright guys, after much confusion and frustration, I've finally found the "potentially" best way: Blue Knight Security! NOTE: I say potentially because I haven't started it yet (haven't paid any money). Once I go through the whole process, I'll know for sure, and update you guys.

Their website: http://www.securitytrainingontario.com/ or http://www.blueknightsecurity.ca/

Why this company?

• cheap ($129 plus $80 to $100 for first-aid/CPR) ... (NOTE: $60 for exam, and $80 for licence app is not included ... meaning total expense is $350 to $370 ... still one of the cheapest I think)
  • online (from the comfort of your home, connected to internet) except for the first-aid/CPR, which is hands-on, but can be done at nearest Canadian Red Cross, just one-time 8-hour commitment.
  • the last point means you can get the licence from anywhere in Canada (don't have to be in Toronto or near big security company locations)
  • you can start the course anytime, no need to wait for classes to begin or anything
  • to be sure this is not a scam, I checked Ontario list of security training providers and Blue Knight is listed, then I called Blue Knight and confirmed that securitytrainingontario.com is their website

I will go through the process and update you about my experience. Meanwhile if anyone knows about this company or anything I need to beware of, let me know.
have you tried to get a job in your professional field?

danhass

Sep 21, 2010
US
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
emamabd said:
have you tried to get a job in your professional field?
Yes. And there are plenty of jobs in my field. But I can't stay in Canada 12 months every year for the next few years. And most companies want a permanent and full-time employee.

With a security guard job, I can work for a few months, leave the country for a few months, and so on. It's a temporary arrangement and I would eventually want to get a proper job.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
danhass said:
Yes. And there are plenty of jobs in my field. But I can't stay in Canada 12 months every year for the next few years. And most companies want a permanent and full-time employee.

With a security guard job, I can work for a few months, leave the country for a few months, and so on. It's a temporary arrangement and I would eventually want to get a proper job.
We share the same NOC, thats why i asked
your plan sounds good, best of luck

caipsfasttracker

Jun 4, 2013
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Under no circumstance pay a college or one of these scam companies for training like Iron Horse etc etc who steal 300$ of your heard earned money just to kick you out the door and say you failed or have no job lines up.

My advice to you is just go online Province of Ontario website re security license. Write the test and apply to a reputable security firm in Canada such as:

GARDA
G4S
Securitas
Commisionaires

If you need any further information or help let me know.

Caips