+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Security Clearances

DavidK_NZ

Aug 26, 2018
I have spent best part of a year looking for work in Halifax Nova Scotia interrupted by Christmas holidays and then COVID. Things are beginning to improve and I am now interview with a number of companies. One role, like many in the defence industry in NS, requires Canadian security clearance.

Has anyone recently achieved clearance with less than 5 years residency in Canada?

It gets more difficult if you can't satisfy the residency requirements. I would like to understand the timelines.

I am a dual New Zealand/ UK citizen with permanent residency in Canada. I have a clear criminal history.

There is indications that being a citizen of a NATO country can expedite the process, but does that count for a dual citizen?

Both New Zealand and the UK are members of 5 eyes with Canada. While I know in some countries and spheres this elevates the trust between countries, I don't know where this sits with Canada.

Any insight on the rules or others experience would be much appreciated.

EropbI4

May 29, 2020
Nobody will tell you for sure since Canadian security speaks for itself, otherwise it wouldn't be security.
Give it a try by asking for preliminary timeline for all that.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have spent best part of a year looking for work in Halifax Nova Scotia interrupted by Christmas holidays and then COVID. Things are beginning to improve and I am now interview with a number of companies. One role, like many in the defence industry in NS, requires Canadian security clearance.

Has anyone recently achieved clearance with less than 5 years residency in Canada?

It gets more difficult if you can't satisfy the residency requirements. I would like to understand the timelines.

I am a dual New Zealand/ UK citizen with permanent residency in Canada. I have a clear criminal history.

There is indications that being a citizen of a NATO country can expedite the process, but does that count for a dual citizen?

Both New Zealand and the UK are members of 5 eyes with Canada. While I know in some countries and spheres this elevates the trust between countries, I don't know where this sits with Canada.

Any insight on the rules or others experience would be much appreciated.
Usually rules are quite strict but there may be exceptions in rare circumstances. Very tough to say.