+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Securing a TRV for fiance

akashmhnty

Aug 30, 2020
After browsing through countless posts, I am still not able to determine what's the right course of action I'm supposed to take to get my Fiance to Canada with me right after our wedding in Nov 2020.

My current status:
On a closed work permit till Sep 2021.

Fiance's info:
Indian citizen
Has a job in India

Plan:
To get married in Nov 2020, get her to Canada right after the wedding. We wanted to apply for her TRV before the wedding itself (she would be single), so that she can accompany me after the wedding to Canada.

Question:
Should we mentioned our engaged relationship in the TRV application or not? Some posts say that if IRCC finds out later that we withheld this info, then it might get tricky. Do you think it is advisable to apply for a TRV after marriage? I was wondering since even I am on a temporary closed work permit, they should not worry about her or me overstaying.

Please advise and let me know if you have any follow up questions!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If she want to apply for TRV before the wedding, she should apply now without mentioning the engaged relationship. But you need to make invitation letter.

Right now she has the best chance, because she has a job in her home country (depending how much salary she earns).

Cytus51

Star Member
Jul 3, 2020
If she want to apply for TRV before the wedding, she should apply now without mentioning the engaged relationship. But you need to make invitation letter.

Right now she has the best chance, because she has a job in her home country (depending how much salary she earns).
How would the invitation letter be drafted? Just curious... a friend is having the similar situation

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's my next question. Would I have to mention her as a friend or something?
Otherwise, she would have to apply without the invitation letter stating she would like to visit places such as Yellowknife to experience the aurora.

Last edited:

Kraken_123

Star Member
Oct 4, 2019
Hello,

Glad I found this thread!

I am literally in the same pool and I want to bring my fiance to Canada right after our marriage (happening by the end of 2020). She is an Indian citizen and is currently working too.
The only difference is, I am a PR holder.

We both are still not engaged officially. Should we too apply for TRV before getting married?

Also, just curious about the invitation.......wouldn't mentioning the reason for the travel as "to visit places such as Yellowknife to experience the aurora." put it under the leisure/ discretionary category and provide a chance for the application to get rejected?

Please advise, thanks.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Hello,

Glad I found this thread!

I am literally in the same pool and I want to bring my fiance to Canada right after our marriage (happening by the end of 2020). She is an Indian citizen and is currently working too.
The only difference is, I am a PR holder.

We both are still not engaged officially. Should we too apply for TRV before getting married?

Also, just curious about the invitation.......wouldn't mentioning the reason for the travel as "to visit places such as Yellowknife to experience the aurora." put it under the leisure/ discretionary category and provide a chance for the application to get rejected?

Please advise, thanks.
Yes, it would.

You have really not a lot of choice given the current circumstances. Married people (who can prove it - with a marriage certificate!) can enter Canada to be with immediate family. Applying for a TRV on that basis does create the risk of refusal given the marriage and concerns over inland sponsorship but it may be the only way at this point in time.

However, as you're not married yet, it will be hard to prove to IRCC that you are married in order to get a TRV under the COVID processing programme.

Kraken_123

Star Member
Oct 4, 2019
Yes, it would.

You have really not a lot of choice given the current circumstances. Married people (who can prove it - with a marriage certificate!) can enter Canada to be with immediate family. Applying for a TRV on that basis does create the risk of refusal given the marriage and concerns over inland sponsorship but it may be the only way at this point in time.

However, as you're not married yet, it will be hard to prove to IRCC that you are married in order to get a TRV under the COVID processing programme.

So should we get married by the end of 2020 and then apply for TRV under the 'Immediate Family Member' grounds as per https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html

Note:- From the thread, I understood that immediate family members are exempt from travel restrictions currently.

would that be the best option for us then?

Has anyone tried applying for a TRV for their spouse under the 'Family Reunification' category? Was it successful?

Please advice, thanks!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
So should we get married by the end of 2020 and then apply for TRV under the 'Immediate Family Member' grounds as per https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html

Note:- From the thread, I understood that immediate family members are exempt from travel restrictions currently.

would that be the best option for us then?

Has anyone tried applying for a TRV for their spouse under the 'Family Reunification' category? Was it successful?

Please advice, thanks!
You could try this. A lot of people who would not normally get visas have been getting them, but it's not guaranteed.

Reactions: Kraken_123

Kraken_123

Star Member
Oct 4, 2019
You could try this. A lot of people who would not normally get visas have been getting them, but it's not guaranteed.
thanks, buddy!

please share if you come across any successful cases who tried similar to ours. :p

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In the middle of COVID?
In the middle of Covid, there were people visited there too. Didn't you read the news?

You probably don't travel during Covid (not even interprovincial)

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@k.h.p.

Also, who said they must travel during Covid? But Kraken123 will be going overseas (probably during covid) for marriage.

@Kraken_123

You like to travel during Covid-19? Why do think it (traveling to Yellowknife) would make the application got rejected? Although your finance got a job, why wouldn't you think they will see the job with little prospect as a chance of getting the application got rejected?

Last edited: