+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Section 44 Report in 2017 - When will a decision be taken?

LoveCanada231

Feb 28, 2021
Hello all,

I received a Section 44 report in 2017 for Permanent Residency Non-obligation. I was 22 years old in 2017 and had left Canada when I was a minor (11 years old). I returned back in 2017 after completing my Bachelors in Computer Engineering from the US and have since resided in Canada with my brother, who is a Canadian citizen. I've been in the Software Engineering industry this whole time with steady rise in responsibilities and salary. My parents helped us buy 2 properties here too.

However, whenever I have applied for a PR card in the last 6 years, I have only received a 1 year card. I understand for this to happen in the first 2-3 years, but after this time I was hoping they would take a positive decision on my Section 44 report and clear my status in Canada. I have a citizenship application open for the last 2.5 years too. Whenever I speak to lawyers or immigration consultants, they advise me to just keep applying for PR cards and hope they will clear my report.

Has anybody had a similar experience or has advice on what steps I can take for resolution?
Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

I received a Section 44 report in 2017 for Permanent Residency Non-obligation. I was 22 years old in 2017 and had left Canada when I was a minor (11 years old). I returned back in 2017 after completing my Bachelors in Computer Engineering from the US and have since resided in Canada with my brother, who is a Canadian citizen. I've been in the Software Engineering industry this whole time with steady rise in responsibilities and salary. My parents helped us buy 2 properties here too.

However, whenever I have applied for a PR card in the last 6 years, I have only received a 1 year card. I understand for this to happen in the first 2-3 years, but after this time I was hoping they would take a positive decision on my Section 44 report and clear my status in Canada. I have a citizenship application open for the last 2.5 years too. Whenever I speak to lawyers or immigration consultants, they advise me to just keep applying for PR cards and hope they will clear my report.

Has anybody had a similar experience or has advice on what steps I can take for resolution?
Thank you
Have you spoken with a lawyer about filing a writ of mandamus given how long you have been waiting? That's the only suggestion I have. This situation is pretty unique.

Don't bother with immigration consultants.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Have you spoken with a lawyer about filing a writ of mandamus given how long you have been waiting? That's the only suggestion I have. This situation is pretty unique.
I have been meaning to track down but there was a news bit on the CBC the other day that the number of Writs of mandamus filed at IRCC has just skyrocketed in the last year or two. I wish I remembered the numbers but in my head I ahve the figure 4X higher compared to some other period of time.

And yes, the numbers rose because of the number of files (all types of applications) just stuck and held up.

Now that it's become a newsworthy item, with press and some lawyers and activists commenting on it, government will likely try to clear the backlogs (incl mandamus writs) and apps in progress etc.

Reactions: LoveCanada231

LoveCanada231

Feb 28, 2021
I have been meaning to track down but there was a news bit on the CBC the other day that the number of Writs of mandamus filed at IRCC has just skyrocketed in the last year or two. I wish I remembered the numbers but in my head I ahve the figure 4X higher compared to some other period of time.

And yes, the numbers rose because of the number of files (all types of applications) just stuck and held up.

Now that it's become a newsworthy item, with press and some lawyers and activists commenting on it, government will likely try to clear the backlogs (incl mandamus writs) and apps in progress etc.
Thank you for your insight!