+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Secondary Screening at Arrival for Naturalized Canadians previously Refugees.

Inquirer50

Sep 22, 2020
Hello all!

For previous refugees and current Canadian citizens, are you directed to secondary screening at the immigration office in YYZ for example every time you come back to Canada from vacation? I know that it was common when using a travel document, however, after obtaining citizenship, shouldn't that have stopped from happening?

Thank You and Happy Holidays!

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
Ya technically that shouldnt happen cause you’re a canadian citizen, is this happening to someone? Once you’re a citizen you don’t need to deal with any immigration

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
That's incorrect. You are still screened for potential secondary inspections as citizen whether you were a refugee or not..
I understood his question as when they send you to immigration before you enter canada... that shouldnt have to happen as a citizen? But in deth inspection anyone can be selected for it right?

Reactions: luckyrefugee

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I understood his question as when they send you to immigration before you enter canada... that shouldnt have to happen as a citizen? But in deth inspection anyone can be selected for it right?
Believe they are referring to in depth screening which can be for various reasons. Going through immigration landing process stops after you get your PR.

Reactions: Ghess23

Inquirer50

Sep 22, 2020
Thank you all for your replies. To clarify, it is that room in YYZ after you pass customs with the blue automated kiosks. It is the hall where new immigrants and international students wait to get their permits/ landing. When an old Canadian born (assumption) gentleman entered the hall, the CBSA officer checked his passport and said that he shouldn't be there as it was for foreigners. Therefore, I wonder if the system is not updated for refugees who become citizens and are still seen as holders of refugee travel documents that often pass through that hall for their travel history to be verified.

kelepirci

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
Thank you all for your replies. To clarify, it is that room in YYZ after you pass customs with the blue automated kiosks. It is the hall where new immigrants and international students wait to get their permits/ landing. When an old Canadian born (assumption) gentleman entered the hall, the CBSA officer checked his passport and said that he shouldn't be there as it was for foreigners. Therefore, I wonder if the system is not updated for refugees who become citizens and are still seen as holders of refugee travel documents that often pass through that hall for their travel history to be verified.
You maybe overly assuming the situation. When you see the first officer or use the automatic kiosk; you will be assigned with a spesific code. This code is all depends on CBSA automated system or officer observation. The gentelmen you saw might be assigned with code to proceed without any secondary screening and officer simply telling him to proceed.

On the other hand it is very hard to know how CBSA works and they have some strange policies. And CBSA does not abide most of the rules that normal police officer must abide.

So, do not argue with them and proceed as they ask.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There seems to be some confusion between secondary screening and those going through landing process for PR or various permits. Even with an RTD there would be no reason for a protected person to have to go with those landing as new PRs, new students or new work permit holders. Anyone can be screened about where they have been, what they have been doing abroad, what they are brining back to Canada, etc.

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
There seems to be some confusion between secondary screening and those going through landing process for PR or various permits. Even with an RTD there would be no reason for a protected person to have to go with those landing as new PRs, new students or new work permit holders. Anyone can be screened about where they have been, what they have been doing abroad, what they are brining back to Canada, etc.
That’s not true. I was asked to go to the immigration office (same place i got my work permit years ago) when i entered Canada using my RTD. I waited my turn and she verified my status and let me enter.

kelepirci

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
That’s not true. I was asked to go to the immigration office (same place i got my work permit years ago) when i entered Canada using my RTD. I waited my turn and she verified my status and let me enter.
Traveling with RTD always requires secondary screening. Because CBSA is responsible to check and see if you have travelled to your country of persecution.

Skyline2019

Feb 14, 2019
If your passport has any travel restrictions (mentioned on the first page of yr rtd , the officer who stamps yr passprt will send you for screening , thts very obvious thing which happebs with refugees, once you get yr canadian passrt with no restrictions u r free to go even your home country you seeked refuge from

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
I believe that you don't have to go through immigration once you have your PR card. Before that, yes you always must enter Canada manually (by an immigration officer).

Reactions: Ghess23

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
I believe that you don't have to go through immigration once you have your PR card. Before that, yes you always must enter Canada manually (by an immigration officer).
even with PR you have to enter by officer in immigration office? or do you just go through the border and register at the machines?