+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

secondary school teacher

cheers13

Star Member
Jan 4, 2013
Hi friends,
Is there any possibility to come the teaching occupation of secondary level in the upcoming FSW 2013 short list of occupation?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

cheers13 said:
Hi friends,
Is there any possibility to come the teaching occupation of secondary level in the upcoming FSW 2013 short list of occupation?
Absolutely no chance. Teachers are in oversupply in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
PMM said:
Hi

Absolutely no chance. Teachers are in oversupply in Canada.
Agreed. Zero chance.

hadiam

Mar 23, 2020
Hi friends
I'm currently academic staff and manager of graphic design program in a university in Iran and I've been in this position for 5 years. I've applied to BEd program of UAlberta which will provide me with art teaching certificate in secondary schools as well. There are some news all around which says it's going to be tough to find an art teaching job in Canada. I'm planning to move to Canada based on this certificate (Find a job and...) . Can you clarify this for me that is the situation so bad or people just exaggerating out there? is there any chance for me?
I'll be grateful for any advice.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi friends
I'm currently academic staff and manager of graphic design program in a university in Iran and I've been in this position for 5 years. I've applied to BEd program of UAlberta which will provide me with art teaching certificate in secondary schools as well. There are some news all around which says it's going to be tough to find an art teaching job in Canada. I'm planning to move to Canada based on this certificate (Find a job and...) . Can you clarify this for me that is the situation so bad or people just exaggerating out there? is there any chance for me?
I'll be grateful for any advice.
Canada has more teachers than teaching roles available - this has been the situation for quite some time now. If you are coming over as an international student, you should assume it won't be possible to secure a teaching job until after you have become a PR. Even then, no guarantee - may be quite challenging all the same.

hadiam

Mar 23, 2020
Canada has more teachers than teaching roles available - this has been the situation for quite some time now. If you are coming over as an international student, you should assume it won't be possible to secure a teaching job until after you have become a PR. Even then, no guarantee - may be quite challenging all the same.
Thank you for your immediate reply scylla, appreciated.
You mean even with my working permit visa which will be granted after graduation, I can't secure a teaching job even though hardly?
As you know, they say that you can have up to 3 years working permit visa after graduation in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You mean even with my working permit visa which will be granted after graduation, I can't secure a teaching job even though hardly?
As you know, they say that you can have up to 3 years working permit visa after graduation in Canada.
Would start with seeing if you get into BEd. It is a very competitive program. Most teachers end up on supply list for the first few years but it really depends where you live and what you can teach. There are cycles where provinces hire or there are hiring freezes. It also depends on government changes as well. Sonetimes there are government cutbacks which translates into less hiring. If you are willing to move anywhere your chances of being employed increases. Teachers who teach certain subject are in more demand. For example there is a shortage of French teachers. Science and technology teachers are likely more in demand than arts and social sciences teachers. You would have to research what isin demand.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - I'm aware of how PGWPs work. Yes - you should assume it will be difficult to secure a teaching job while on a PGWP. Way too many qualified people looking for jobs in the field.

hadiam

Mar 23, 2020
Would start with seeing if you get into BEd. It is a very competitive program. Most teachers end up on supply list for the first few years but it really depends where you live and what you can teach. There are cycles where provinces hire or there are hiring freezes. It also depends on government changes as well. Sonetimes there are government cutbacks which translates into less hiring. If you are willing to move anywhere your chances of being employed increases. Teachers who teach certain subject are in more demand. For example there is a shortage of French teachers. Science and technology teachers are likely more in demand than arts and social sciences teachers. You would have to research what isin demand.
Yes, I hope I can get into that program. And occupationally speaking, it's always been competitive, even here in Iran, let alone in Canada full of experts and educated people. I know that. I want to assure that it's not impossible. :)
All in all, Thanks for your reply canuck, it was useful. Appreciated.

hadiam

Mar 23, 2020
Yes - I'm aware of how PGWPs work. Yes - you should assume it will be difficult to secure a teaching job while on a PGWP. Way too many qualified people looking for jobs in the field.
as I understood, you say that it's too competitive but not impossible.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
as I understood, you say that it's too competitive but not impossible.
Certainly not impossible. However you need to be prepared for the possibility that you will have to work in other fields in these three years and will not be able to secure a teaching job. As long as you are OK with that, you'll be fine.

Reactions: hadiam

hadiam

Mar 23, 2020
Certainly not impossible. However you need to be prepared for the possibility that you will have to work in other fields in these three years and will not be able to secure a teaching job. As long as you are OK with that, you'll be fine.
Ok, I got you. I hold B.A in graphic design and M.A in Animation, I've mastered all of Adobe softwares and also have reasonable portfolio in motion graphics and illustration. I'll do my best...
Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok, I got you. I hold B.A in graphic design and M.A in Animation, I've mastered all of Adobe softwares and also have reasonable portfolio in motion graphics and illustration. I'll do my best...
Thanks.
Likely the biggest disadvantage you will have is the fact you aren't a Canadian citizen or PR / don't have Canadian experience. While unfair, unfortunately this will likely work against you. Also, you are in a very niche field. I would recommend branching out and having a few different subjects you can teach.

Master's degrees aren't uncommon among teachers. It's certainly very good to have Master's but doesn't guarantee a job.

Please just be prepared for the possibility you won't get a teaching job. Please don't come here assuming it will all easily fall into place.

hadiam

Mar 23, 2020
Likely the biggest disadvantage you will have is the fact you aren't a Canadian citizen or PR / don't have Canadian experience. While unfair, unfortunately this will likely work against you. Also, you are in a very niche field. I would recommend branching out and having a few different subjects you can teach.

Master's degrees aren't uncommon among teachers. It's certainly very good to have Master's but doesn't guarantee a job.

Please just be prepared for the possibility you won't get a teaching job. Please don't come here assuming it will all easily fall into place.
That make sense... I'm not assuming that I will have an easy process to accommodate in Canada. I'm going to leave my secured job and everything here because I've exhausted working for this corrupted system in which your success is not based on your qualifications. I really do like living in a country which is competence. I don't consider that as a drawback for Canada. Just be proud of that my friend. For me, living in a competent environment is a dream which can become true. I'm going to fight tooth and nail for that. And all of that depends on if I could get into BEd program... I hope so...