+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Secondary applicant to land before Primary applicant on first landing

movecanada2019

Oct 25, 2018
Hi Guys,

Need some advice!

We recently got the CoPR and we have few months left to complete first/ soft landing.

My wife, secondary applicant, needs to get her H1B stamping done at the US consulate in Toronto. With our schedules, I'm not able to make a trip based on available dates for visa stamping.

1. Is it possible if she lands first and complete PR formalities for herself and I'll do mine after few days?

2. We still have valid tourist visa stamped on our passport along with immigrant visa. Is it possible for her to land as a tourist? and later we complete PR formalities together once I land?

Please comment!

Thank you

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
She cannot land without you landing first. Yes, she can enter as a tourist on her TRV and then land with you/after you later.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Also, if she is already inside Canada, and then you land, she can't come and land at the same time (you'll be inside the airport, she can't join you there).

She'd have to either leave Canada and re-enter, or else make an appointment for an inland landing. This can take months, so it's probably better to plan another trip to Canada soon. You come here, land, you both leave, and then a few weeks/months later she lands (obviously before COPR expires).

Or you land, enter Canada, drive to Niagara Falls, cross the border, and turn around and re-enter. She can land there (she won't be flag-poling since she resides in the US), and you will be allowed to enter with your signed CoPR.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Why does she 'needs to' get her H1B stamping done? She can certainly use AVR to return to US after both of you complete soft landing.

Primary applicant must land before or with the dependents.

She can use her TRV to visit before completing PR landing.