06-05-2015
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
18-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-09-2016
Hey guys,

My sponsor (inland, commonlaw) previously sponsored her soon-to-be ex-husband. Her responsibility for him has ended, and at the time of our inland sponsorship application last year was free to sponsor me. My part of the app should be fine (American, no criminal history etc), but I'm curious about the sponsorship side of it. My spouse and I moved in together after knowing each other a short time--I visited for a week, and by the end of that visit, we had decided to move-in! Funny how life works when you meet 'the one'. We are still together 2.5 years later, have a son and a genuine relationship. I believe that objective and documentary evidence will lead us to being approved, but since CIC is making the decision..... I wonder if our application will be processed more slowly because a) my spouse previously sponsored someone and b) I walked away from a cushy life in New York (not sure if that comes across in my app, but it's absolutely true, and people have called me crazy for leaving NY in favour of Saskatchewan), and c) because she is still technically married to her ex (i.e. the one she successfully sponsored before me)--note, as some of you know, divorces can take a long time.

Anyway, folks... what do you think? Ponga! It's going to take a while, isn't it? Anyone have any previous experience second-time sponsoring?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sawadee-eh said:
She can sponsor you without being legally divorced yet?
Yes - through common law.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Johninsask said:
We are still together 2.5 years later, have a son and a genuine relationship. I believe that objective and documentary evidence will lead us to being approved, but since CIC is making the decision..... I wonder if our application will be processed more slowly because a) my spouse previously sponsored someone and b) I walked away from a cushy life in New York (not sure if that comes across in my app, but it's absolutely true, and people have called me crazy for leaving NY in favour of Saskatchewan), and c) because she is still technically married to her ex
Given that you've lived together for 2.5 years and have a son, there should be no issues, regardless of her previous sponsorship. The fact that she isn't divorced doesn't matter; CIC specifically states that people can sponsor a common-law partner even when still married to someone else.

Something you probably don't want to hear is that you should have applied outland, as you most likely would have been a PR by now.

alb01

Star Member
Mar 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2016
AOR Received.
13-04-2016 AOR 2: May 13,2016
Med's Done....
January 15,2016
Interview........
Sept. 13.2016
the sponsor can sponsor as many people as they want..

In my case I had previously done an outland sponsorship few years back, unfortunately we got in to a divorce as the marriage didnt work out. Few years later I did an inland sponsorship but after I withdrew that as he cheated on me. And this is my third sponsorship (outland). I was recently approved as a Sponsor, and of coarse my application is very very detailed with a consultant.

So in your case you are completely fine the fact that you guys have a child together.

All the best and good luck

Johninsask

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-05-2015
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
18-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-09-2016
Thanks for the replies! Alb01, I'm really sorry you went through that! Good luck to you too!

And Cannuck: I know! I def would have applied Outland but we needed the OWP asap-- she was pregnant and about to go on maternity leave. The OWP arrived just in time.