+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Second SuperVisa application. Need help!

MineshPatel

Star Member
Mar 3, 2017
Hello
I've tried to look for the info i am about to ask in forum however i couldn't find the exact info.
So here is my dilemma:

:DMy in law have a SuperVisa from 16/05/2014 to 23/01/2018.
Her passport expire on 24/01/2018.

She came to Canada, stayed there 2 yrs and than went back to India.
She is currently in India and her flight back to Canada is on 06/06/2017.
That means if she use the same passport and the same visa she can only stay in canada for like 6 months. And than go back to India, renew passport, and apply SuperVisa again.

What we are planning to do, is to renew her Indian passport rightaway (10yrs validity) and than apply again for a SuperVisa (hopefully 10yrs multiple entry) before her 06/2017 flight.

Is this possible?

The reason i am doubtful is because she still have almost 10 months valid supervisa on her passport.
I am sure renewing Indian passport now is not a problem.
The problem is Is she eligible for another Supervisa application rightaway if i renew passport?

I hope i wasn't too confusing :D
Thank you

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Minesh,

How long your mother-in-law will be allowed to remain on her next visit will depend on the immigration officer whom she meets at the POE. If there's no handwritten date under the entry stamp then she can remain for two years/she will have visitor status for two years. She won't have to go back in January when her current passport expires.

If you renew her passport now and apply for another super visa (when her existing super visa is still valid until January 2018), then her new application for a super visa will be rejected.... because she would be applying several months in advance.

You can renew her passport now. Make sure she carries both passports when she travels i.e. the current passport with the valid super visa + her new passport

Cheers

MineshPatel

Star Member
Mar 3, 2017
Hello Bryanna,
Thank you very much for your reply.

However, I just wanna clarify one thing related to my above post.

Let's says my in law use the same supervisa and the same passport both valid for 01/2018, to enter Canada in. 06/2017. And let's says the officer at POE does not write any timeframe under the stamp.

Is it really possible for her to stay in Canada for 2 yrs (like you said) even though her passport will be expired by than?

I mean. I am trying to figure out how does the law work when this type of situation happens.

Just wanted to know for my own satisfaction and so that I can convince someone if they ask the same question.
Thank you.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Let's says my in law use the same supervisa and the same passport both valid for 01/2018, to enter Canada in. 06/2017. And let's says the officer at POE does not write any timeframe under the stamp.
A super visa allows your mother-in-law to enter and remain in Canada for up to two years on initial entry i.e. without applying for an extension to her visitor status.

Now, if she enters using her current passport (visa valid till January 2018), the CBSA officer may limit her stay until the expiry of the passport. If the officer does not limit her stay then she must apply for a new passport asap before the current one expires. That way she can remain for up to two years