+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seattle U turn option during COVID for soft landing?

312to213

Sep 4, 2020
I'm now considering driving through Seattle border crossing to make my entry and return the same day to the US.
Is this allowed if i have a valid COPR and a valid stamped H1b ?
My COPR expires Dec 25 and I couldn't find any alternative until now to extend this (issued before Mar 18).

Any advise would be of great help! Much appreciated!!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Soft landings are discouraged by CBSA at present given the 14 days mandatory quarantine once you exit the POE.

Having said that there are a few posts on here where people have successfully argued their case at the POE to complete a landing and return straight back without actually leaving the POE.. Some people have succeeded and others have not given seems to depend on the CBSA officer at the time. Note also there is a chance even if successful CBSA may not submit a PR card application given not planning to enter and settle.

Do not recall any posts crossing over the POE that you suggest so as above maybe try calling in advance or take the risk ensuring prepared to argue your case for why not settling permenantly.

312to213

Sep 4, 2020
Soft landings are discouraged by CBSA at present given the 14 days mandatory quarantine once you exit the POE.

Having said that there are a few posts on here where people have successfully argued their case at the POE to complete a landing and return straight back without actually leaving the POE.. Some people have succeeded and others have not given seems to depend on the CBSA officer at the time. Note also there is a chance even if successful CBSA may not submit a PR card application given not planning to enter and settle.

Do not recall any posts crossing over the POE that you suggest so as above maybe try calling in advance or take the risk ensuring prepared to argue your case for why not settling permenantly.
Hi Bs65! thanks for your response. Do you know if CBSA or IRCC are defaulting all COPRs with an extension on its validity? Mine expires Dec 25 and there's no way i'm able reach them to get their word.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi Bs65! thanks for your response. Do you know if CBSA or IRCC are defaulting all COPRs with an extension on its validity? Mine expires Dec 25 and there's no way i'm able reach them to get their word.
COPR's are not being extended right now. BUT IRCC's policy now is that if you can't or don't want to travel right now due covid that is OK. When you are ready to travel advise them via web form and they will issue a document that will allow you to travel and enter Canada. Personally I don't think that your chances of doing a soft landing are very good right now.

azharhit47

Dec 11, 2018
I'm now considering driving through Seattle border crossing to make my entry and return the same day to the US.
Is this allowed if i have a valid COPR and a valid stamped H1b ?
My COPR expires Dec 25 and I couldn't find any alternative until now to extend this (issued before Mar 18).

Any advise would be of great help! Much appreciated!!
Go ahead and do it, I crossed the border on dec 15th and completed the softlanding.Once you have copr they won't deny you.if they do,They have to provide something for you to come back later