+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Searching for work

jaypee

Dec 27, 2011
Hello all,

I have browsed through a bit of threads and haven't found much if any information on whether or not there are certain places to look for Foreign workers to find a company/job that would potentially sponsor someone. Any information in regards to websites to search, specific companies or any advice at all would be much appreciated.

I am from the States and came to B.C. to be with my girlfriend as she lives and goes to school here. I have tried for a couple months to look for work using sites such as careerbuilder/monster/bcjobs/job bank/craigslist etc... with no success, not even a call or email back. I plan to speak with an immigration lawyer soon to see what other options there are, would have done this first but wanted to see if I could find a job/company that could use my skills/experience on my own. My visitor stay will be running out soon and I am not entirely sure what to do, marriage isn't really an option. I do have a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration that I thought would help in the search to find a job, but still nothing.

If anyone has any advice/suggestions in terms of finding work/companies that need people with said degree or experience I would be so grateful, or any advice in general to lengthen my stay on a more permanent basis.

Thank you so much.

jrge

Oct 12, 2011
You’ve done the keyboard work, but have you knocked on doors as well? There seems to be a huge demand in the service industry for foreign nationals. Particularly those involving projects (management, procurement, logistics, cost, budget, etc.) and trades (crane operators, inspectors, truck drivers, etc.)

Like you, I have a Bachelor’s degree in BA and we (employer, attorney, me) are yet to hear from HRSDC on whether or not the LMO was approved.

I am aware marriage isn’t an option, but Google this: (IMM 5289); I think is worth looking at it.

It wouldn’t hurt speaking with an Attorney in regards of your particular case.

Good luck!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately there is no company or website we can direct you to that is know for hiring foreign workers. The most you can do is what you've been doing already (i.e. applying for jobs and hoping someone bites).

The reason why you aren't hearing back from most is because of the red tape and paperwork involved in hiring a foreign worker. To hire you, an employer must prove they advertised the job and were unable to find a Canadian to hire or train for the role (this is becoming more difficult to prove now since the economy has slowed down and there are more Canadians looking for work). The employer must then submit a Labour Market Opinion application to the government for approval (requesting approval to hire a foreign worker). If this LMO is approved, you can then apply for a work permit. This process often takes months and there's no guarantee the LMO will be approved. As a result, many employers simply aren't interested in trying to hire foreign workers unless they have very specialized skills or experience (unfortunately BBAs are a dime a dozen here - especially in large cities).

I would keep applying for jobs right until the very end. You never know - you might get lucky.

Good luck.

jaypee

Dec 27, 2011
Thanks for the replies I appreciate it.

In regards to the common law suggestion, I read that you need to be living with each other for 12 months. So regardless of how long you've been dating someone you have to actually have physically lived with them for 12 months in order to qualify? Also, are you allowed to stay while it's processing, if so, do you know how long it generally takes to be approved/denied, and if approved would it be possible to get some sort of work permit right away?

In theory I think I could apply for an extension on my visitor's visa and stay while that's processing and then once it was approved or denied go from there, but the problem is not having an income in the meantime, I have been using savings while being here and that will deplete eventually.

Thanks again for the help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
jaypee said:
Thanks for the replies I appreciate it.

In regards to the common law suggestion, I read that you need to be living with each other for 12 months. So regardless of how long you've been dating someone you have to actually have physically lived with them for 12 months in order to qualify? Also, are you allowed to stay while it's processing, if so, do you know how long it generally takes to be approved/denied, and if approved would it be possible to get some sort of work permit right away?

In theory I think I could apply for an extension on my visitor's visa and stay while that's processing and then once it was approved or denied go from there, but the problem is not having an income in the meantime, I have been using savings while being here and that will deplete eventually.

Thanks again for the help.
Yes - to qualify for common law - you must have lived together for a full 12 months (and be able to prove it). It doesn't matter how long you have been dating. Do not apply before you have 12 physical months of living together. That's a quick path to refusal.

How long it takes and if you can get a work permit depends on how you apply. However regardless of how you apply, you won't qualify for a work permit immediately.

If you apply inland, the official processing time is 18 months and you will qualify for a work permit at the 11-12 month point (after first stage processing has been completed). You can remain in Canada while the application is being processed.

If you apply outland (typically recommended for Americans because it's much much faster), you will be allowed to work only after the process is 100% complete and you have "landed" in Canada as a permanent resident. You can try to remain in Canada while the application is being processed - however it's your responsibility to keep your status valid by submitting visitor extension requests, etc.

If income is an issue and you can't find an employer in Canada - return to the US and apply outland once you have accumulated the 12 months of cohabitation.

jaypee

Dec 27, 2011
Thanks scylla for all the help.

In regards to the cohabitation, does that have to be 12 consecutive months? Or just 12 months at some point during your relationship? Because if it were 12 continuous months and my visitor's visa only allows me to be here 180days in a 365 day period then it doesn't seem likely to be able to do the 12 month thing unless I were to keep trying to extend my visa for that extra 6months in order to meet that requirement.

I guess it looks like I'll keep trying what I'm doing. Do you have any knowledge about looking into a recruiting or hiring agency? I imagine they probably can't do much, but assuming they have lots of contacts in the professional world given their job, I would think maybe they would have some kind of insight. I don't image it would hurt, that's for sure.

Thanks again.

lyvly

Oct 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
jaypee said:
Hello all,

I have browsed through a bit of threads and haven't found much if any information on whether or not there are certain places to look for Foreign workers to find a company/job that would potentially sponsor someone. Any information in regards to websites to search, specific companies or any advice at all would be much appreciated.

I am from the States and came to B.C. to be with my girlfriend as she lives and goes to school here. I have tried for a couple months to look for work using sites such as careerbuilder/monster/bcjobs/job bank/craigslist etc... with no success, not even a call or email back. I plan to speak with an immigration lawyer soon to see what other options there are, would have done this first but wanted to see if I could find a job/company that could use my skills/experience on my own. My visitor stay will be running out soon and I am not entirely sure what to do, marriage isn't really an option. I do have a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration that I thought would help in the search to find a job, but still nothing.

If anyone has any advice/suggestions in terms of finding work/companies that need people with said degree or experience I would be so grateful, or any advice in general to lengthen my stay on a more permanent basis.

Thank you so much.

Hi..where in canada do you prefer to work?.. Saskechwan is booming u may want to try.. whenever u do such applications make sure to call or email if theres available number to ask them f they offer LMO.. Thou not all,most of the Hotels here in Calgary offer LMO.. www.alis.gov.ca in these website u can check out newspaper ads, staffing agencies, publicservice job/govt jobs... goodluck..dont lose hope.. If there's a will, there's a way... You can do it..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
jaypee said:
Thanks scylla for all the help.

In regards to the cohabitation, does that have to be 12 consecutive months? Or just 12 months at some point during your relationship? Because if it were 12 continuous months and my visitor's visa only allows me to be here 180days in a 365 day period then it doesn't seem likely to be able to do the 12 month thing unless I were to keep trying to extend my visa for that extra 6months in order to meet that requirement.

I guess it looks like I'll keep trying what I'm doing. Do you have any knowledge about looking into a recruiting or hiring agency? I imagine they probably can't do much, but assuming they have lots of contacts in the professional world given their job, I would think maybe they would have some kind of insight. I don't image it would hurt, that's for sure.

Thanks again.
The 12 months should be fairly consecutive. A break of a week or two is OK.

You can accumulate the 12 months by extending your original visit visa by an additional six months. Others have spent six months living in one country (e.g. Canada) and the next six months living in another (e.g. US) to accumulate the 12 months. You could consider going to school up here and getting a student visa (although that's a pretty expensive option).

If all else fails - getting married is an obvious choice.