+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SDS VISA APPLICATION

sonnywin

Sep 12, 2017
Hi guys!
I have a query regarding proof of funds for SDS visa application.
Firstly we need to show that the one year payment is done. Secondly, GIC for one year.
So, apart from those two proofs, do I need to show any other documents? Like Bank statement or tax returns and stuff? My course is of 16 months, out of which I will be paying one year (12 months) fee. So will that suffice to convince the visa officer or do I need to also show how I will be funding my next 4 months of education also?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hi guys!
Firstly we need to show that the one year payment is done. Secondly, GIC for one year.
So, apart from those two proofs, do I need to show any other documents? Like Bank statement or tax returns and stuff? My course is of 16 months, out of which I will be paying one year (12 months) fee. So will that suffice to convince the visa officer or do I need to also show how I will be funding my next 4 months of education also?
Is your program 4 semesters long? Same length here, also 16 months. But the first year fees are only for 2 semesters (8 months). There was no option to pay the whole program fee.

As for SDS, according to IRCC, it is to streamline the process for four countries (at the moment). as per IMM 5836 E (for Philippines; please check for your specific country):

“The Student Direct Stream (SDS) provides a streamlined study permit application process for students with English or French language abilities who will study at an eligible Canadian college or university. In place of most financial documents, qualifying applicants must submit a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution. Applicants must also do their medical examination upfront and pay their tuition fees for their first year.”

The GIC is enough proof that you have disposable liquid cash for your daily expenses for a year of studying, AFAIK, you cannot widraw the whole amount once you arrive in Canada, but only a certain amount will be released to you. According to Scotia bank, upon arriving, you can widraw cad2,000 and for the next 10 months you will be able to widraw 800/month, all the while your investment is earning interest as per Canadian interest rates. So this shows the VO that the money is indeed yours and not just borrowed as a show money.

sonnywin

Sep 12, 2017
Is your program 4 semesters long? Same length here, also 16 months. But the first year fees are only for 2 semesters (8 months). There was no option to pay the whole program fee.

As for SDS, according to IRCC, it is to streamline the process for four countries (at the moment). as per IMM 5836 E (for Philippines; please check for your specific country):

“The Student Direct Stream (SDS) provides a streamlined study permit application process for students with English or French language abilities who will study at an eligible Canadian college or university. In place of most financial documents, qualifying applicants must submit a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution. Applicants must also do their medical examination upfront and pay their tuition fees for their first year.”

The GIC is enough proof that you have disposable liquid cash for your daily expenses for a year of studying, AFAIK, you cannot widraw the whole amount once you arrive in Canada, but only a certain amount will be released to you. According to Scotia bank, upon arriving, you can widraw cad2,000 and for the next 10 months you will be able to widraw 800/month, all the while your investment is earning interest as per Canadian interest rates. So this shows the VO that the money is indeed yours and not just borrowed as a show money.
Which University and program you've applied to?

cftos

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
08-02-2021
Med's Done....
22-01-2021
Passport Req..
02-04-2021
Hi guys!
Hello Sonny! I have the same concern. I'm confused because I've read a lot of posts from other applicants here saying they still provided other financial proofs aside from the GIC. So, did you use your GIC alone as proof? How did it go?

Jashan_1990

Star Member
Dec 26, 2018
Hi guys!
i want to tell you the documents i submitted for financial proofs.
1- gic certificate.
2- 1 YEAR FEE.
3-ITR and farmers have what we call tehsildar certificate.:)
(No bank statements)
4-you can also attach pension documents if anybody from you family get the pension .
i have applied from india .
hope this information will help you out to some extent.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hello Sonny! I have the same concern. I'm confused because I've read a lot of posts from other applicants here saying they still provided other financial proofs aside from the GIC. So, did you use your GIC alone as proof? How did it go?
Kabayan, only 1 year tuition receipt and GIC are required under SDS. But, it doesn’t hurt to submit other financial documents, although it defeats the purpose of SDS which is to simplify and lessen the financial documents to submit.

Eman.

Feb 5, 2019
i want to tell you the documents i submitted for financial proofs.
1- gic certificate.
2- 1 YEAR FEE.
3-ITR and farmers have what we call tehsildar certificate.:)
(No bank statements)
4-you can also attach pension documents if anybody from you family get the pension .
i have applied from india .
hope this information will help you out to some extent.

Can you please tell me the process for making agricultural income certificate along with the time taken for making it?

Last edited: