+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SDS 2022 Processing Time

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
Actually I had taken this deferment decision almost two weeks ago and had also sent an email to the University on August 17, 2022. But till now, I haven't received any replies from them. Actually my plan is to raise a webform latest by September 1, 2022 to inform IRCC about my deferral to Winter 2023. Let me tell you something. I had spoken to the International Center at my University about this deferment long back and they gave me two email ids : one was of some recruiter and one generic email id of the international admissions department. They told me to speak to any one of these or both. So what I did was on August 17, I had sent the deferment final decision email to the recruiter, but I haven't received any replies. I am planning to send the same email once again tomorrow, but this time to the international admissions department. At least once I get a confirmation email from them, I can quickly raise a webform and attach this email reply in that. What would you suggest?
By the way, I have already dropped the courses I had registered for previously and registered for new fresh courses for Winter 23.
I would definitely contact the International Admissions Department of your respective Faculty (Arts, Science, Medicine, Law, Engineering) as it is usually they who can provide you with an official email answer with regards to your deferral. Yes, it is necessary to drop all the courses for September 2022 as early as possible and register for the new once in Winter 2023 as early as possible as well. I have done the same thing.

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
Do you have any idea if Proof of Enrollment, Account Summaries and Registration Histories can work as some kind of proof that I have decided to start my classes on the second start date (Winter 23) mentioned on my LOA?
Absolutely! Do enroll in courses for Winter 2023, get your Proof of Enrollment pdf form, Account Summary and send all of them to the IRCC via the webform. I will do the same.

runm

Aug 26, 2022
You should both call your DLI's. Waiting for an email is stressful enough. It's better to call them and ask them directly. Ask to speak with someone that can give you an answer directly over the phone.
I'll see if I can try this out. The reason I had sent them an email was once they reply, I could have taken a print out of that email, saved it as a pdf, and then uploaded it in the webform to inform IRCC that I have deferred.

runm

Aug 26, 2022
I would definitely contact the International Admissions Department of your respective Faculty (Arts, Science, Medicine, Law, Engineering) as it is usually they who can provide you with an official email answer with regards to your deferral. Yes, it is necessary to drop all the courses for September 2022 as early as possible and register for the new once in Winter 2023 as early as possible as well. I have done the same thing.
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll see if I can email them once again, but this time on the International Admissions email id. By the way, even I am done registering for new courses for Winter 2023. I have already dropped all the Fall 2022 courses.

runm

Aug 26, 2022
Absolutely! Do enroll in courses for Winter 2023, get your Proof of Enrollment pdf form, Account Summary and send all of them to the IRCC via the webform. I will do the same.
For me, if I order the Proof of Enrollment letter, it will take a day to be sent to me by the University. Account Summary and Registration History documents will take 5 business days. I am thinking to attach these all the Webform instead of waiting for the email reply or sending them an email again. What would you suggest on this?
There is still one problem. Proof of Enrollment and Registration History Documents would be all good. Problem is with the Account Summary Document. Actually I had spoken to the Financial Aid and Awards department at my Uni about my possibility of deferment and they told me that I need to inform them asap about my deferment and they will deduct half of my scholarship amount from the scholarship I had initially received. As I have still not informed them about my deferment, the initial scholarship amount is being reflected in my account. And in my Statement of Purpose, I had written about my initial scholarship, that I have received so and so amount. What should I do now? This is creating a whole lot of confusion.

runm

Aug 26, 2022
I am trying to send an email. But when I am writing the international admissions department email id in the 'To' section of the email, it is autocorrecting itself to the recruiter email id. What should I do now? It is so stressful this whole deferment thing and informing the IRCC about it.

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
I am trying to send an email. But when I am writing the international admissions department email id in the 'To' section of the email, it is autocorrecting itself to the recruiter email id. What should I do now? It is so stressful this whole deferment thing and informing the IRCC about it.
First of all and above all - don't panic! :) To begin with, IRCC will process, review and make a decision on your application regardless of wether you send them information about your deferral or not. The only difference might be that they will issue your study permit from September 2022 instead of Winter 2023, which in the end of the day doesn't make any difference since it will be a positive result and you can extend your visa once you are already in Canada. And also, the IRCC might issue you SP for Winter 2023 because they do realize that they are delaying the processing and people do defer their programs. Also notice a very important thing - the IRCC has recently made an official statement asking the students, who have not received their visas yet, to talk to their respective colleges and universities and ask for the deferral - BUT - the IRCC has not asked students to inform the IRCC about their deferrals. I think this is crucial to notice, they do not ask us to inform them because they understand everything. So this is to my point about keeping it cool and not worrying about informing the IRCC at all.

However, having said that, it is a good idea to send your documents to the IRCC and inform them about your deferral. To do this, you need to get your confirmation of enrollment and official letters from the university with regards to (1) your deferral and (2) your scholarship. The (1) is pretty easy. The (2) might be complicated depending on the financial documents you have submitted with your application to prove that you are able to support your education and stay in Canada. In case you rely only on your scholarship and now you will only have 50% of it, you will have to explain to the IRCC how you are going to support the other 50% of your tuition fees. If that is not a problem for you, just attach the new financial documents. If it is a problem, maybe do not contact IRCC at this point at all and let them make a decision based on the first documents that you have provided. In this case, you will have to still submit more documents about your finances, but later when you will extend your visa in Canada (in case they issue your SP for September). It really is complicated when it comes to financial proof, so think about it carefully. And ask for advise from your university. I would not suggest to hide anything from the IRCC, you have to be absolutely honest with them. So, to do this, you have to get your financial documents in order before contacting them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geet7

runm

Aug 26, 2022
First of all and above all - don't panic! :) To begin with, IRCC will process, review and make a decision on your application regardless of wether you send them information about your deferral or not. The only difference might be that they will issue your study permit from September 2022 instead of Winter 2023, which in the end of the day doesn't make any difference since it will be a positive result and you can extend your visa once you are already in Canada. And also, the IRCC might issue you SP for Winter 2023 because they do realize that they are delaying the processing and people do defer their programs. Also notice a very important thing - the IRCC has recently made an official statement asking the students, who have not received their visas yet, to talk to their respective colleges and universities and ask for the deferral - BUT - the IRCC has not asked students to inform the IRCC about their deferrals. I think this is crucial to notice, they do not ask us to inform them because they understand everything. So this is to my point about keeping it cool and not worrying about informing the IRCC at all.

However, having said that, it is a good idea to send your documents to the IRCC and inform them about your deferral. To do this, you need to get your confirmation of enrollment and official letters from the university with regards to (1) your deferral and (2) your scholarship. The (1) is pretty easy. The (2) might be complicated depending on the financial documents you have submitted with your application to prove that you are able to support your education and stay in Canada. In case you rely only on your scholarship and now you will only have 50% of it, you will have to explain to the IRCC how you are going to support the other 50% of your tuition fees. If that is not a problem for you, just attach the new financial documents. If it is a problem, maybe do not contact IRCC at this point at all and let them make a decision based on the first documents that you have provided. In this case, you will have to still submit more documents about your finances, but later when you will extend your visa in Canada (in case they issue your SP for September). It really is complicated when it comes to financial proof, so think about it carefully. And ask for advise from your university. I would not suggest to hide anything from the IRCC, you have to be absolutely honest with them. So, to do this, you have to get your financial documents in order before contacting them.
Though IRCC has not asked students to inform the IRCC about their deferrals, it is always better to keep them updated with every changes (like deferment) and to be honest. On the other hand, as per information on the IRCC website, it says that if the difference between your intended start date (in my case Fall 2022) and the second (alternative) start date you get after deferment is less than 150 days, you don't need to inform IRCC. In my case, the difference is 123 days. Scholarship thing will not affect the financial documents I had submitted because I had got a scholarship of CAD 2000, now that I am deferring to Winter 23, I'll just get 1000 CAD. So that's not much of a big problem.
As for the documents I'll need when I raise the webform:
1. LOA which I already have, it has two start dates mentioned on it. I'll just need to explain in the Webform that there are two start dates and the University has allowed me to start on either of the dates.
2. The email I had sent on August 17, I have very little hopes that I'll receive a reply in the coming week. Therefore, the option of attaching the email printout in the Webform is totally ruled out. So as for the proof that I can start on the second start date (Winter 2023), I have already dropped Fall 2022 courses and registered for fresh new Winter 2023 courses. I can order the proof of enrollment letter, which will have written on it that I am an 'active student' at the University. In the enrollment letter, I guess there would also be a section mentioning the Winter 2023 courses I have recently registered for.
3. What I else I can do is send an email tomorrow to the Financial Aids and Awards department telling them about all this deferment thing. I'll request them to change the scholarship amount in the Account summaries asap and then I'll order this Account Summary Document. Then I can attach this as well in the Webform.
What do you think? Will this all be sufficient?

Reactions: parrots

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
Though IRCC has not asked students to inform the IRCC about their deferrals, it is always better to keep them updated with every changes (like deferment) and to be honest. On the other hand, as per information on the IRCC website, it says that if the difference between your intended start date (in my case Fall 2022) and the second (alternative) start date you get after deferment is less than 150 days, you don't need to inform IRCC. In my case, the difference is 123 days. Scholarship thing will not affect the financial documents I had submitted because I had got a scholarship of CAD 2000, now that I am deferring to Winter 23, I'll just get 1000 CAD. So that's not much of a big problem.
As for the documents I'll need when I raise the webform:
1. LOA which I already have, it has two start dates mentioned on it. I'll just need to explain in the Webform that there are two start dates and the University has allowed me to start on either of the dates.
2. The email I had sent on August 17, I have very little hopes that I'll receive a reply in the coming week. Therefore, the option of attaching the email printout in the Webform is totally ruled out. So as for the proof that I can start on the second start date (Winter 2023), I have already dropped Fall 2022 courses and registered for fresh new Winter 2023 courses. I can order the proof of enrollment letter, which will have written on it that I am an 'active student' at the University. In the enrollment letter, I guess there would also be a section mentioning the Winter 2023 courses I have recently registered for.
3. What I else I can do is send an email tomorrow to the Financial Aids and Awards department telling them about all this deferment thing. I'll request them to change the scholarship amount in the Account summaries asap and then I'll order this Account Summary Document. Then I can attach this as well in the Webform.
What do you think? Will this all be sufficient?
Yes, I think that's enough. Actually, your LOA is already a strong proof in itself since it has two start dates and it is up to you which one to choose, and the reason you choose the Winter one is obvious to the IRCC. Letter of Enrollment is great. And the scholarship thing, yes, just wait for a confirmation and attach it as well. Let's believe that the IRCC can issue us our visas for Winter 2023, then if anything, we'll still have 150 days available to us for any future use if we need it (in case of a missed semester, for example).

When did you apply, by the way, and from which country?

Meghna001

Jul 10, 2022
You should both call your DLI's. Waiting for an email is stressful enough. It's better to call them and ask them directly. Ask to speak with someone that can give you an answer directly over the phone.
I did call them up, but they didn’t connect me to the international admissions team. They only escalated the query to the team, but I haven’t heard back from them yet. I don’t know what to do now.

runm

Aug 26, 2022
Yes, I think that's enough. Actually, your LOA is already a strong proof in itself since it has two start dates and it is up to you which one to choose, and the reason you choose the Winter one is obvious to the IRCC. Letter of Enrollment is great. And the scholarship thing, yes, just wait for a confirmation and attach it as well. Let's believe that the IRCC can issue us our visas for Winter 2023, then if anything, we'll still have 150 days available to us for any future use if we need it (in case of a missed semester, for example).

When did you apply, by the way, and from which country?
I applied on July 9, 2022 from India (SDS)

Reactions: parrots

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
I did call them up, but they didn’t connect me to the international admissions team. They only escalated the query to the team, but I haven’t heard back from them yet. I don’t know what to do now.
Insist... if you are not receiving a reply via email, the only thing you can do is to insist via email and telephone until you receive an answer. Good luck!

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021

Just an observation... indeed, IRCC will process the application regardless of you sending a webform with an updated LOA or not.

The only difference it will make in this case, given that the new start date is within 150 days from the original, is the validity of the Letter of Introduction and Visa. They date of expiration should be your program end date + 90 days. So if they don't hear about you deferring to the new intake, they will take the original end date as reference.

However, this shouldn't impact at all the validity of your Study Permit. Remember the Study Permit is issued at the Port of Entry. Once you arrive, you will explain all of this to the VO and he should issue the SP taking into account your new start / end date, not the original. And if by some reason they don't take into consideration, then you can always apply to extend your SP. So as @parrots said:

"Don't panic."

This is all based on what I've read from IRCC and this forum. My wife deferred and we have yet to travel to Canada. Her Visa validity is shorter than her program because of the deferral so we will see if they issue her SP according to her new LOA or if she has to extend it.

gmp1016

Aug 29, 2022
Hello. My son's SDS track:

Application submitted - July 19
Biometrics completed - July 22
Upfront Medical - June 20

No other status updates
Webform follow up twice

Question: Since it appears regular track is faster than SDS, can we submit a new application via regular track WHILE SDS APPLICATION IS PENDING? In other words, are two parallel applications allowed? Thanks for any advice!