+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Score of 368-- next steps?

esma

Oct 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello, I got a score of 368 and have been included in the express entry pool.
What are my chances to get an invite from a provincial program or an Invitation to apply (ITA)?
I understand that to improve my score I can either: learn french, get better language scores, get a Canadian job offer, or put in information for my spouse (who is counted in my family obviously, but I am applying for express entry only for myself and my 2 kids, so he has not completed the IELTS test).

Can someone guide me on my chances or if I just withdraw my application and try to improve my score somehow. Thanks!

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
Hello, I got a score of 368 and have been included in the express entry pool.
What are my chances to get an invite from a provincial program or an Invitation to apply (ITA)?
I understand that to improve my score I can either: learn french, get better language scores, get a Canadian job offer, or put in information for my spouse (who is counted in my family obviously, but I am applying for express entry only for myself and my 2 kids, so he has not completed the IELTS test).

Can someone guide me on my chances or if I just withdraw my application and try to improve my score somehow. Thanks!
you dont need to withdraw, just update your profile once you get your ielts, eca etc. if you withdraw you might lose out on tie breaker.

esma

Oct 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I already have my IELTS and ECA. What are some ways on improving my score? Any chances I'll get in with a 368 score?

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
I already have my IELTS and ECA. What are some ways on improving my score? Any chances I'll get in with a 368 score?
have you selected 'ontario' or 'all provinces' when you created your profile? if you are lucky ontario might send an invitation, but its really difficult as competition is high.
best way however if to improve your scores. whats your age, ielts score breakdown, education level, work exp?, husband's ielts and education level?

esma

Oct 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
have you selected 'ontario' or 'all provinces' when you created your profile? if you are lucky ontario might send an invitation, but its really difficult as competition is high.
best way however if to improve your scores. whats your age, ielts score breakdown, education level, work exp?, husband's ielts and education level?
yes I chose Ontario. age 36
I am a doctor (ECA has given me a doctor of medicine equivalent)
I have worked as a doctor for the past 10 years (at different locations)
IELTS: 6,6,7,8
Husband: Dentist, but is not going to go to Canada so he did not get his complete the IELTS

gurpreet5288

Mar 30, 2015
india
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Husband: Dentist, but is not going to go to Canada so he did not get his complete the IELTS

I m having score 385 along with Ielts L-8 S-7 W-6 R-6
Age 30
I am web developer applied under NOC 2175

Where are you from ??? what are my chances to get PR ??

IslamabadUnited

Jul 1, 2017
I suggest you should give IELTS again with proper preperation. That will increase your chances a lot. Gettng a job might be hard and with 368, Ontario might not consider you. I heard (not confirmed) that they go for candidates with score snove 400.

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
As everyone said give ielts as many times as possible till you get at least 8 in reading 8 in listening 7 in speaking and 7 in writing. Might be tough but that will take your score to 435 range and oinp nomination

esma

Oct 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As everyone said give ielts as many times as possible till you get at least 8 in reading 8 in listening 7 in speaking and 7 in writing. Might be tough but that will take your score to 435 range and oinp nomination
Thanks for your advice. I am considering to give the IELTS again. Once I do, can I just edit my already submitted application ?
Also, when I originally was applying I was married, but now I am divorced-- how will this impact my application. Will it improve my application in any sense (showing 1 less person in my family-- even though I originally said he was not coming to Canada) ?? I am not sure if I was clear about my situation, but any help would be appreciated.

IslamabadUnited

Jul 1, 2017
Thanks for your advice. I am considering to give the IELTS again. Once I do, can I just edit my already submitted application ?
Also, when I originally was applying I was married, but now I am divorced-- how will this impact my application. Will it improve my application in any sense (showing 1 less person in my family-- even though I originally said he was not coming to Canada) ?? I am not sure if I was clear about my situation, but any help would be appreciated.
You can update your profile after submission till you get ITA.

I think there will be no change in your application. You can use the online CRS calculator to confirm but I think coming without spouse or being divorced is equivalent for Canada.

esma

Oct 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can update your profile after submission till you get ITA.

I think there will be no change in your application. You can use the online CRS calculator to confirm but I think coming without spouse or being divorced is equivalent for Canada.
Ok makes sense. I tried the CRS calculator and it is showing a score of 484 (but it didn't ask me about my dependents, so my 2 young kids are not included in the CRS calculator)-- my actual score is 368 which is way off

sahilsharma88

Star Member
Apr 1, 2017
Dubai
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
Doc's Request.
23-01-2017
AOR Received.
03-04-2017
Your first bet is to improve your IELTS score. That is the quickest and easiest way to increase score.
Secondly, learning french though might increase score, but its easier said than done. You need to get certification etc. So lets not bank on it.
Thirdly, is to either land an offer letter or receive nomination. Getting a job sitting in India is gonna be tough. Moreover, considering you're from medical profession, I presume you cannot directly go and start your practise. You might need to apply for new license etc once there.

As for nomincation not really sure how easy it is to get a PNP from Ontario. Maybe look at other provinces too like Saskatchewan or Alberta.

A score of 435-440 (provided your IELTS score improve) although decent might not be enough this year. My friends in Canada are seeing a huge influx of people from US applying for PR in Canada due to Trump and how in general American economy is doing. This makes cut-off score go even higher. I dont really see the cut-off going as low as last year's 413.

I am not trying to demotivate you, but just trying to put facts so that you can act well and with a fool proof plan.

Further, being divorced does not really add to your points.

IslamabadUnited

Jul 1, 2017
Ok makes sense. I tried the CRS calculator and it is showing a score of 484 (but it didn't ask me about my dependents, so my 2 young kids are not included in the CRS calculator)-- my actual score is 368 which is way off
Having dependants does not lower your score (Please correct if I am wrong) and this is the reason the tool did not ask for dependants. The only difference it makes is that you have to show more funds as a POF. You can use the chart below for a detailed look at your case.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html

You have a chance if you increase your CLB score.

ranjangaur4

Dec 11, 2017
children dont lower the score, having a spouse does lower the score, but this can usually be covered with spousal points for their ielts and education.
So if you calculated yourself as single and with high ielts, its possible the score was quite high.