+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Score is 474 and draw was at 475 (Work permit to expire)

angelangel

Star Member
Jun 5, 2017
Hi,

The Post Graduate work permit will expire on 19 Nov. Was expecting to get an invite yesterday but missed by 1 point. If next draw is not at 474, what can be done?

Can I apply for PGWP extension to stall or will have to exit Canada?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,

The Post Graduate work permit will expire on 19 Nov. Was expecting to get an invite yesterday but missed by 1 point. If next draw is not at 474, what can be done?

No, you can't extend a PGWP. Apply to change your status to "visitor".

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HOw can I apply to change status to visitor?
it is called restauration of status. that will give you some time to breath. However you have still 1 more draw before your permit will expire. So if ever you manage to get it (and most likely you will) and you have all documents ready and manage to apply before your permit expires and also apply for BOWP you will make it.

Reactions: Kayne

hgunawa

Jan 8, 2017
Hi,

Mate you have enough time.

The next draw will be On the 13th of Nov. You will.most definitely get the ita the. Make sure you have all your documents including medicals and police report ready so that you can submit pretty much the next day.
Once you submit your pr application, you will be eligible to apply for a bridging open work permit.

I was on the same boat last year. My work permit was expiring on Nov 21. And I got my ita on Nov 15. I was able to apply for my pr on 17 Nov and Bridging work permit on 18 Nov. I have my PR now. So yes you will also be okay as long as you submit on time. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kayne

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hi,

I expect the next draw will be lower than 475. You are almost assured of a place next time. The biggest spoiler i see if the draw doesn't take place (highly unlikely)

hgunawa

Jan 8, 2017
I don't think the information you have been getting is correct, you may be able to apply for bridging work permit - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=676&top=29
Absolutely. A bridging work permit is the way to go. It's created by CIC exactly for cases like yours. Once you apply for bridging work permit, you will be on implied status until a decision Is made and be you willeligible to continue working even after your pgwp is expired.

Look it up and apply for it soon after your submit your pr application. Do your research!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
The question was regarding "extending" a PGWP to "stall" having to leave Canada if an ITA was not received by the time the PGWP expired.

If you actually read http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=676&top=29 carefully it states "If you are awaiting a decision on your CEC application and your post-graduation work permit is about to expire, you may be able to apply for a bridging open work permit."

It's not applicable if a CEC application has not been submitted. There is no implied status if a bridging work permit application is made after the PGWP expires.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Absolutely. A bridging work permit is the way to go. It's created by CIC exactly for cases like yours. Once you apply for bridging work permit, you will be on implied status until a decision Is made and be you willeligible to continue working even after your pgwp is expired.

Look it up and apply for it soon after your submit your pr application. Do your research!
Not applicable, as OP does NOT have AOR from a PR app, which is required to qualify for a BOWP.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
it is called restauration of status. that will give you some time to breath. However you have still 1 more draw before your permit will expire. So if ever you manage to get it (and most likely you will) and you have all documents ready and manage to apply before your permit expires and also apply for BOWP you will make it.
Restoration is for people without status. OP would need to apply for a change of status and extension as a visitor.

hgunawa

Jan 8, 2017
Not applicable, as OP does NOT have AOR from a PR app, which is required to qualify for a BOWP.
Yes I understand that.
I'm going on the conditional basis that OP will be able to get an AOR at least a day before the end of his work permit expiration date. Of course he has to get an invite, apply for PR, get his AOR AND apply for BOWP before the expiry of his pgwp for all of this to happen.

My point is it's not impossible! Looking at the date of his WP expiration, his CRS score and the next most probable date for the draw to happen, it's quite possible that he will get an invitation before his WP expires.
I understand that there is a certain amount of risk involved in this and it all depends on whether there will actually be a draw in another two weeks time.

He needs some proper planning and a little bit of luck! But from OP's original post it seemed like he was not aware of the BOWP program.

If not, absolutely as you mentioned, he will have apply for a visitor visa and stop working right away.

Anyways, my advice to the OP is to get all his documents ready and hope that there will be a draw in another two weeks. But also be prepared for the worst case scenario as well.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ok seeing as your probability to be invited next round is over 90% you can do following:
1. Have all foreign PCC in hand (they will not expire as long as you will not return to that country before sending your application)
2. get Medicals done (also it can be done fast you might want to book appointment). Yes this one does expire, but with your invitation chances you can risk it.
3. Have all reference letters ready. Anything from previous employments does not expire anymore (as that document will only state what was happening in the past). As for your current employment it does not have to be fresh fresh (2 or 3 months old is ok). You can use bank statements to show that you got paid by that company recently in order to support that you still work there.
4. What you already have and should have is of course ECA (do not forget to have your original diplomas translated on hand as well) and language test.
5. And of course have a valid passport.
6. You can even go for proof of funds now (I doubt that there will be problem with 2-3 weeks old document).

So get all that, make scans, prepare PDF files and then once invited get ready to spend up to 3 hours uploading your application, cursing their database system, loosing some documents then uploading them again and then finally paying for all that and submitting it.

And the race does not end there. You need to get AOR (they are kind of automatic and issued just within hours) and immediately submit your BOWP application as well.
That must be done latest on the last day of your current work permit (to be safe before 3PM in Ottawa).

Good luck

Reactions: hgunawa