Score consistency of retaking IELTS

ponchita

Jul 28, 2010
I took IELTS twice.
Last time my score was
L 6 R 6 W 6.5 S 7.5 overall 6.5
After 2month my score was
L 7.5 R 6.5 W 6 S 6 overall 6.5

I personally feel I have least speaking skill of all.
Last time my examiner could be more generous than last time.
Acturally I was surprised with this result.
And usually when I practice I could mark all the right answers for Reading.
I don't understand why my reading score is so low.
And why my writing score goes lower.
I think we cannot change writing skills in 2 month.
I don't know if I should take test one more time or not.
I heard if somebody tries twice generally the person can score better at 2nd time.
But now I doubt concistency of result.
Is there anybody who feels same as I do?
Or please give me advice.

Thank you.

asad100101

Jun 28, 2010
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
difficulty of each test varies from test to test so your performance can vary slightly.

So you can gain or lose half band here and there in each test, it is not a big deal. However, your overall test scores remains the same that is a key point to remember. Your skills have not improved overall at a broader level.

Two months is too short of a time to increase your overall language skills. 6 months is a realistic time.

I am expecting the similar kind of result next time if you are planning to take it again within one or two month time.

What are your goals? Are you taking academic module or GT module? If GT module, then how many language points do you need for immigration purpose?

However, it was shocking to see your speaking score dropping down to 6 from 7.5....speaking skills don't get deteriorated that fast in two months time...either your previous instructor was very generous or you performed miserably second time...

After witnessing your english level in this post then i think the first one was the case.

Reactions: nsbhullar

Drooza

Sep 9, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
15 Sep. 2009
Doc's Request.
17 Nov. 2009
AOR Received.
18 FEB. 2010
File Transfer...
17 Nov. 2009
Med's Request
20 March 2013
Med's Done....
09 April 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17 june 2013
VISA ISSUED...
18 July 2013
LANDED..........
sept 29 2013
agree with asad100101 don't send second one.

ponchita

Jul 28, 2010
Thank you for advice, makes great sense.
I also asked my lawyer.
I will allpy for skilled worker category. Score 6.5 & 7.0 is a big difference.
With my current score I cannot gain any points from English.
But my lawyer suggested me to submit with my current score.
Maybe he thought same as your opinion. I cannot increase my score in short term.
So I'm not going to take test again. Anyway thank you for your advice.

Darkknight

Jan 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
asad100101 said:
difficulty of each test varies from test to test so your performance can vary slightly.

So you can gain or lose half band here and there in each test, it is not a big deal. However, your overall test scores remains the same that is a key point to remember. Your skills have not improved overall at a broader level.

Two months is too short of a time to increase your overall language skills. 6 months is a realistic time.

I am expecting the similar kind of result next time if you are planning to take it again within one or two month time.

What are your goals? Are you taking academic module or GT module? If GT module, then how many language points do you need for immigration purpose?

However, it was shocking to see your speaking score dropping down to 6 from 7.5....speaking skills don't get deteriorated that fast in two months time...either your previous instructor was very generous or you performed miserably second time...

After witnessing your english level in this post then i think the first one was the case.
Thanks for sharing this information ! It's useful with me!

Avion

Jun 19, 2017
Hello All

I have a query that I took IELTS (GT) twice
My first time IELTS Scores are
Listening 8
Reading 7
Speaking 6.5
Writing 6
Overall 7

while 2nd time I got

Reading 9
Listening 8.5
Speaking 6.5
Writing 6
Overall 7.5

However I wanted to increase score in writing and speaking but unfortunately as it can be seen there is no progress in these two modules. and I am having thoughts for re-checking but I am not sure. I need some guidance and help that should I go for rechecking or should stick with this result