+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

schooling in quebec

JOHNCENA

Jun 1, 2018
hi all, i am moving to montreal with my family, two kids. what about the schooling there?. is any english schools availablae there? because i know qbc is a francophone province. could you guys give me the details?

Reactions: fayfeily

QC_or_not_QC

Feb 19, 2017
I looked into things about 7 years ago when we were considering moving to Quebec with a teen aged daughter. The track of study for major subjects in high school was significantly different from what our daughter had currently been studying (subjects spiraled there while they were more separated at her school) so she would have ended up with serious gaps in knowledge. That was a large part of the reason why we chose not to move at that time.
In addition, francophone schooling for immigrants is mandatory unless you are willing to pay for private school or meet one of the few limited exemptions to qualify for public English schools. If you have any other questions I may be able to help, although I don't yet have first-hand experience, and it has been quite some time since my husband was in school there so things have probably changed a bit. We have had two more children since then, so if we move they will be schooled in French, but we would hopefully move soon so that the transition is easier.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes PRs moving to Quebec must put their children into French school if they want public education. Why? Easy answer: you would likely choose to put your children into English education and Quebec wants to keep the French language as the dominant language. Many children have adapted. On a positive note if you move to Quebec as immigrants the cost of your children's university education will likely. be much lower vs settling in another province.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hi all, i am moving to montreal with my family, two kids. what about the schooling there?. is any english schools availablae there? because i know qbc is a francophone province. could you guys give me the details?
Your children will attend school in French if they attend public school. If you want your children to study in English, you will need to pay for private school.

fayfeily

Star Member
Nov 24, 2014
Your children will attend school in French if they attend public school. If you want your children to study in English, you will need to pay for private school.
Hi all - I heard about that children will be educated in French but isn't that's only for lower grade students ?