+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

School Questions

nishantvshah

Feb 7, 2017
Hello Folks,

My Name is Nishant Shah and i have recently secured a PR from Canada. i have 2 Kids (aged 6 and 2) and am planning to land in July. I had a few questions about schooling in Canada and would appreciate if you can help answer.

1 - I Understand that public education is free in Canada and we do not need to pay tution. Bus and Food is also included. Would be great if someone can reconfirm.

2 - My main concern is choosing a good school for my daughter. Can someone throw light on the school selection process. From what i have learnt, the kid will need to go to the school closest to their home. How true is this? Also, if there are 2 schools within the same proximity, can we choose which school she will attend?

3 - if we find a better school a little far from our home, can we approach them for admitting our child?

Nishant.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Public school is free to attend - you don't pay tuition.. Food is not free - you have to provide that. In some cases there is transportation provided - but in many cases there isn't. You should assume that you will be responsible for transporting your child to and from the school.
2. Yes - your children will only be able to attend the schools in the area where you live. Yes - you can chose which school in your area your daughter will attend.
3. No - not for public schools.

Reactions: nishantvshah

nishantvshah

Feb 7, 2017
1. Public school is free to attend - you don't pay tuition.. Food is not free - you have to provide that. In some cases there is transportation provided - but in many cases there isn't. You should assume that you will be responsible for transporting your child to and from the school.
2. Yes - your children will only be able to attend the schools in the area where you live. Yes - you can chose which school in your area your daughter will attend.
Thank you so much. That helps me a lot in my decision to find a home. can you plz help answer the below as well.

1 - I believe you will have to take a proof of your home contract to confirm you stay within the vicinity of the school?

2 - Also, i guess its not much of a hassle to get admission into another school if we decide to shift homes?

3 - Is there an interview for the child before attending school? i plan to land in July and the school terms start in September. Would this be enough time for us to get an admission?

4 - If the school we approach is full, how would the situation then be?

Thanks in advance :)

Nishant.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Yes.
2. I don't believe there's any hassle. However it can be very disruptive for your child if you move in the middle of a year. Most parents try to move in the summer to avoid breaking up their child's year.
3. Yes - that's enough time.
4. Public schools have to allow your child to attend.

Reactions: nishantvshah

nishantvshah

Feb 7, 2017
1. Yes.
2. I don't believe there's any hassle. However it can be very disruptive for your child if you move in the middle of a year. Most parents try to move in the summer to avoid breaking up their child's year.
3. Yes - that's enough time.
4. Public schools have to allow your child to attend.
Thanks again. That helps us a lot.

Nishant.

SK2779

Star Member
Oct 30, 2017
Hi, I have a few questions
I will be moving to Toronto in August. My son is currently in Grade 6 in India. It is my understanding that the neighborhood school will conduct an assessment and then decide which grade he should be place in.
Is my understanding correct? Any idea which subjects are tested?

Umbreen zubair

Feb 3, 2018
Hello,
Plz guide me. I am international student . My kids age 5 and 9 have TRV. How they can study in public school for free. I know on TRV we have to pay and no longer than 6 months. So, my query is do i apply for open study permit for them. Is there any option like that. They will stay with me. My course is 2 years. What i do now.....

Umbreen zubair

Feb 3, 2018
Hello,
Plz guide me. I am international student . My kids age 5 and 9 have TRV. How they can study in public school for free. I know on TRV we have to pay and no longer than 6 months. So, my query is do i apply for open study permit for them. Is there any option like that. They will stay with me. My course is 2 years. What i do now.....