+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

school (english is primary languange)

tester1981

Star Member
Aug 17, 2016
Hi

Is there any school in monteral having english is primary languange?
Is this mandatory to send kids to french school in monteral or we can send them to english school?

Phoenixation

Star Member
Sep 21, 2017
Hi

Is there any school in monteral having english is primary languange?
Is this mandatory to send kids to french school in monteral or we can send them to english school?
For PUBLIC schools: If you are an immigrant (through QSW or other provincial or federal programs) you MUST send your kid to French school, unless the kid has already spent sometime in English medium public schools in other provinces of Canada (e.g. Immigrant landed in BC, sent the kid to English medium primary school in Vancouver, then moved to QC and the kid can go to English medium school in Montreal). If you are a temporary resident, your kid can be temporarily exempted from French school (can go to English school), but that permit expires after you become PR and the kid has to switch to French school.
If EITHER of the kid's parents have had primary or secondary education in English in CANADA, the kid will be exempted and can go to English school throughout the whole primary and secondary education.
Of course, if you choose to send your kid to private school, you are free to send him/her to either English or French medium schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: sunnymks

tester1981

Star Member
Aug 17, 2016
Thanks for reply. So you mean I can send my kid to private school(English) from day one (QSW).

Any idea about fee aprox?
Do my kid need to give any test to get admission in private school?

Thanks

Auriane0198

Jan 15, 2018
For PUBLIC schools: If you are an immigrant (through QSW or other provincial or federal programs) you MUST send your kid to French school, unless the kid has already spent sometime in English medium public schools in other provinces of Canada (e.g. Immigrant landed in BC, sent the kid to English medium primary school in Vancouver, then moved to QC and the kid can go to English medium school in Montreal). If you are a temporary resident, your kid can be temporarily exempted from French school (can go to English school), but that permit expires after you become PR and the kid has to switch to French school.
If EITHER of the kid's parents have had primary or secondary education in English in CANADA, the kid will be exempted and can go to English school throughout the whole primary and secondary education.
Of course, if you choose to send your kid to private school, you are free to send him/her to either English or French medium schools.
Hello,
Seeing your answer, I wonder why it is so complicated the school system in Quebec? Why are there so many rules to put a child in a French or English school?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello,
Seeing your answer, I wonder why it is so complicated the school system in Quebec? Why are there so many rules to put a child in a French or English school?
Maybe because French is the language of choice in Quebec and for a kids future it is important that they are immersed in French for their future in Quebec where many occupations require a candidate to be bi-lingual.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The OP is the perfect example. Many immigrants would chose to put their children in English schooling. Many of the Quebec immigration programs tend to be easier but require that you speak French. To goal is to grow the French speaking community. Kids adapt easily to language.

Auriane0198

Jan 15, 2018
The OP is the perfect example. Many immigrants would chose to put their children in English schooling. Many of the Quebec immigration programs tend to be easier but require that you speak French. To goal is to grow the French speaking community. Kids adapt easily to language.
Ah, I understand better now. Thank you for the information