+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

School bus driver

EmilyD1989

Jul 19, 2018
I was curious if I would be able to transfer locations from Massachusetts to Canada within my same company or would my CDL be void there? Is that even an option? Any information from other bus drivers would be appreciated. Thank you!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I was curious if I would be able to transfer locations from Massachusetts to Canada within my same company or would my CDL be void there? Is that even an option? Any information from other bus drivers would be appreciated. Thank you!
There is almost no possibility of doing this unless you already have permission to work in Canada.
The CDL is, as far as I am aware, non-transferable, so you would have to requalify anyway.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your driver's license isn't the problem. The problem is that you would need to get a work permit and that will be extremely difficult (likely impossible) for your profession. Intra Company Transfers (ICTs) are work permits that are usually used to move staff from other countries to Canada. However you don't qualify for one since they are only for management and people with highly specialized skill-sets. Since the ICT is a no-go, the only other options is a closed work permit which requires your employer in Canada to obtain an LMIA (permission to hire a foreign worker). The LMIA process is long and expensive for the employer with no guarantee of approval. As a first step, the employer has to advertise the job for at least a month and prove no Canadian could be found for the role. I think the chances of an LMIA being approved for a school bus driver are nil.

Reactions: EmilyD1989

EmilyD1989

Jul 19, 2018
There is almost no possibility of doing this unless you already have permission to work in Canada.
The CDL is, as far as I am aware, non-transferable, so you would have to requalify anyway.
Okay thank you for the information I appreciate it. ☺ Maybe one day I'll getto move up north eventually lol.

EmilyD1989

Jul 19, 2018
Your driver's license isn't the problem. The problem is that you would need to get a work permit and that will be extremely difficult (likely impossible) for your profession. Intra Company Transfers (ICTs) are work permits that are usually used to move staff from other countries to Canada. However you don't qualify for one since they are only for management and people with highly specialized skill-sets. Since the ICT is a no-go, the only other options is a closed work permit which requires your employer in Canada to obtain an LMIA (permission to hire a foreign worker). The LMIA process is long and expensive for the employer with no guarantee of approval. As a first step, the employer has to advertise the job for at least a month and prove no Canadian could be found for the role. I think the chances of an LMIA being approved for a school bus driver are nil.
Okay thank you for the information I appreciate it. ☺ Maybe one day I'll getto move up north eventually lol.