+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

School Admission

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thank you for the information. can you please let me know what are the documents I need to carry to show his past school completion.
Nothing at his age. You likely only need to bring proof the he qualifies to attend school in Canada, proof of his age and proof of your address to qualify to go to the local school. Vaccination records as well. Would google your local school district for exact information.

gururaj_haval

May 20, 2018
Nothing at his age. You likely only need to bring proof the he qualifies to attend school in Canada, proof of his age and proof of your address to qualify to go to the local school. Vaccination records as well. Would google your local school district for exact information.
thank you for the quick response. this information is really useful. What I understand is that, If I want to take admission in good public school then I need to choose my stay in near to that school area. but how to find out the area covered for the particular school so I can plan search for rent in that particular area.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thank you for the quick response. this information is really useful. What I understand is that, If I want to take admission in good public school then I need to choose my stay in near to that school area. but how to find out the area covered for the particular school so I can plan search for rent in that particular area.
The information about the catchment area for each school should be online on the school board website. Yes you will need to show a rental agreement or property deed to enrol in the local school. In Canada there aren't huge differences in quality between most public schools especially elementary schools.

Wishcan

Jun 15, 2019
Can any one tell me what is the admission criteria for admission in British Columbia in Grade 9 and 12 for Indian students.Do they have to give any test ?Suppose I shift from BC to Toronto within 2 months will they need to give the test again?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can any one tell me what is the admission criteria for admission in British Columbia in Grade 9 and 12 for Indian students.Do they have to give any test ?Suppose I shift from BC to Toronto within 2 months will they need to give the test again?
It is up to the school district but there is rarely admission tests for public schools unless there is concerns about language levels. If you are planning to spend less than 6 months in BC be aware that you and your family will not qualify for healthcare. There are separate residency requirements to qualify for healthcare coverage.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligible

Residents
A person must be a B.C. resident to qualify for medical coverage under MSP. A resident is a person who meets all of the following conditions:

• must be a citizen of Canada or be lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence;
  • must make his or her home in B.C.; and
  • must be physically present in B.C. at least six months in a calendar year, or a shorter prescribed period.*
* Eligible B.C. residents (citizens of Canada or persons who are lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence) who are outside B.C. for vacation purposes only, are allowed a total absence of up to seven months in a calendar year.

Wishcan

Jun 15, 2019
It is up to the school district but there is rarely admission tests for public schools unless there is concerns about language levels. If you are planning to spend less than 6 months in BC be aware that you and your family will not qualify for healthcare. There are separate residency requirements to qualify for healthcare coverage.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligible

Residents
A person must be a B.C. resident to qualify for medical coverage under MSP. A resident is a person who meets all of the following conditions:

• must be a citizen of Canada or be lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence;
  • must make his or her home in B.C.; and
  • must be physically present in B.C. at least six months in a calendar year, or a shorter prescribed period.*
* Eligible B.C. residents (citizens of Canada or persons who are lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence) who are outside B.C. for vacation purposes only, are allowed a total absence of up to seven months in a calendar year.
Thanks a lot.Yeah I am aware abt medical ins .Will take own insurance till I am settled at one place.I was worried abt school admission as In Ontario they take OSSLT test to give admission.But as I am landing in BC and may reside there for 2 months so how to get admission there I dont know.I dont have any link there who cab help me.If any one from Bc cud help me out it would be great.Thanks..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks a lot.Yeah I am aware abt medical ins .Will take own insurance till I am settled at one place.I was worried abt school admission as In Ontario they take OSSLT test to give admission.But as I am landing in BC and may reside there for 2 months so how to get admission there I dont know.I dont have any link there who cab help me.If any one from Bc cud help me out it would be great.Thanks..
Contact the school district. Many things are dependent on the actual school board so nobody on the forum will be able to tell you what will exactly happen.

siree109

Mar 11, 2020
hello everyone, my son is in grade 9 and if we land in Canada by Nov 2020 , will he get admission in School?