+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

School Admission

Jun 3, 2018
Dear All,

Please help me.

Due to some unavoidable circumstances, I can be in canada only by Nov 18.

My son is around 4 year old and has to start the school in Sep 18, Please advice if he come by Nov 2018@Will he be admitted or any other impact on his starting a school late by 2 months

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No you son can start anytime. Once you have established a more longterm apartment or house contact the school that is in that school district. I assume that may take a few weeks and then there is Christmas vacation so your child might end up starting at the beginning of January when school returns from vacation. You say your son is around 4 years old so he may be too young for junior kindergarten. You would then have to pay for a daycare/preschool if you are interested.

Jun 3, 2018
No you son can start anytime. Once you have established a more longterm apartment or house contact the school that is in that school district. I assume that may take a few weeks and then there is Christmas vacation so your child might end up starting at the beginning of January when school returns from vacation. You say your son is around 4 years old so he may be too young for junior kindergarten. You would then have to pay for a daycare/preschool if you are interested.

Jun 3, 2018
We have some relative address and is also registered with us a permanent address in my driving license and would be living with them in the beginning till I find my own-In That case we would be able to start immediately as soon as we land and also checked in Peel District education site and they say if child is born in 2014, he can join kinder garden in 2018

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You may need a lease or property record to register your child. If you think you will be moving to another school district once you find your own accommodations I would delay so your child only has to go through the transition once in a relatively short period of time. If your child is still 3 when school start many schools and parents have a discussion to decide whether it would be better to delay enrolment for a year. If they are almost a year younger than other classmates some of the children don't do as we'll throughout their whole education. I would encourage you to discuss with your school. It is actually very common and there are studies that it cause long-term problems with learning and self-esteem. Other provinces actually require the child to be 4 before the school year starts.

https://www.todaysparent.com/kids/school-age/redshirting-kids/

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

You may need a lease or property record to register your child. If you think you will be moving to another school district once you find your own accommodations I would delay so your child only has to go through the transition once in a relatively short period of time. If your child is still 3 when school start many schools and parents have a discussion to decide whether it would be better to delay enrolment for a year. If they are almost a year younger than other classmates some of the children don't do as we'll throughout their whole education. I would encourage you to discuss with your school. It is actually very common and there are studies that it cause long-term problems with learning and self-esteem. Other provinces actually require the child to be 4 before the school year starts.

https://www.todaysparent.com/kids/school-age/redshirting-kids/
1. Children don't start elementary school until the year they turn 6, before that is pre-school or kindergarten. So it really doesn't matter when the OP arrives with a 4 year old.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

1. Children don't start elementary school until the year they turn 6, before that is pre-school or kindergarten. So it really doesn't matter when the OP arrives with a 4 year old.
Junior kindergarten is part of the public school system. Never said it mattered when they arrived said they could start at anytime. It's in my first post.

nitinvgarg

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
I received COPR in Feb,18, planning to do soft landing in Aug with final move in Mar,19 . I have a question on the schooling for my daughter.

Her birth is of Dec,2012. She would be turning 6 in Dec 2018 i.e. this year. If we would have been in canada at this time, she would have been admitted to 1st standard at the time of regular school admissions(Sep, 18)

My question is "Since we are moving permanently to canada only in Feb 19, will the schools in toronto and regions around it like Brampton, mississauga admit my daughter in 1st standard at that time.

In the US, she would be going to KG. Do school's in Ontario need any transfer certificate for admission to 1st standard?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I received COPR in Feb,18, planning to do soft landing in Aug with final move in Mar,19 . I have a question on the schooling for my daughter.

Her birth is of Dec,2012. She would be turning 6 in Dec 2018 i.e. this year. If we would have been in canada at this time, she would have been admitted to 1st standard at the time of regular school admissions(Sep, 18)

My question is "Since we are moving permanently to canada only in Feb 19, will the schools in toronto and regions around it like Brampton, mississauga admit my daughter in 1st standard at that time.

In the US, she would be going to KG. Do school's in Ontario need any transfer certificate for admission to 1st standard?
Admission is based on age and lease/property ownership. No need for previous schooling information especially at that age. Not ever required but is helpful for an older child.

gururaj_haval

May 20, 2018
My son will be 6 year old in coming April. as per his age he should start grade 1 in April but in Canada Sep would be a starting of academic year. So if I land in April, does he will be joining KG 2 till sep or he can start his grade 1 immediately and rejoin grade 1 in sep. Please also let me know the - what are the documents I need to carry to take the admission.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My son will be 6 year old in coming April. as per his age he should start grade 1 in April but in Canada Sep would be a starting of academic year. So if I land in April, does he will be joining KG 2 till sep or he can start his grade 1 immediately and rejoin grade 1 in sep. Please also let me know the - what are the documents I need to carry to take the admission.
Contact the school board!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should be looking at the age based on the start of the school year. The school board will select the proper grade for him based on his age so you don't register for the grade you just register for school in general.

gururaj_haval

May 20, 2018
You should be looking at the age based on the start of the school year. The school board will select the proper grade for him based on his age so you don't register for the grade you just register for school in general.
thank you for the information. can you please let me know what are the documents I need to carry to show his past school completion.