+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Schengen Visa with Canadian RTD

Ivan Koko

Aug 22, 2018
Hello experts! Nice to have you all in one place :)
I had kind of a sad story today: went to Dutch consular to apply for Schengen Visa and the guy told me that I won't be able to get visa with my RTD if I don't have a PR card. I told him that I haven't received my PR card yet and I'm still a refugee. Then we were arguing and I said that this sounds like discrimination because I can't travel to NL. He went out to make a phone call, took him half an hour, then he came back and said "ok I will take you application but I can't promise you get visa, they will make a decision at Visa center"

Guys what do you think? is he just incompetent and doesn't what he says, or Dutch Visa center in Washington is discriminating us?
I want to believe the first option is much more obvious because I couldn't find any information that Dutch visa center do not accept Canadian RTD without PR card.
I have my trip planned already, spent a significant amount of money on planes and hotels and then some guy tells me that I can't get visa.

Any ideas? ;)

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
It’s not discrimination. You are a foreign national (whether you are a Canadian citizen, PR or refugee) and the Netherlands has every right to decide who gets a visa or not. If you were a refugee in the Netherlands and applied for a TRV, it’s unlikely you would get one.
Never buy plane tickets until you get the visa.....always a bad plan and guarantees nothing.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Agree with Buletruck. "Discrimination" usually means you have a "right" to something and you are being stopped from accessing that right due to a reason such as race, marital status,etc...

You do not have the right to go to the Netherlands as you do not have citizenship there.This means they can refuse your visa and there won't be anything procedurally wrong with that. Even if they gave you a visa, that would be a privilege and they can revoke it. In addition, successfully getting a visa to a country you are not a citizen of does not guarantee entry. Their border officers can reject your entry on the spot.