+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Scared about working 20+ hours and PGWPs

NPreti8195

Star Member
Oct 8, 2020
Hello everyone,

I applied for my PGWP on the 18th of June and my application currently still reads, "submitted." My question is this: I worked in retail during the school year and believe that there were a few times I worked more than 20 hours a week. Working in retail/shift work is unpredictable so my schedule was always all over the place. I know that in April international students were allowed to work more than 20 hours due to COVID but before that, I used vacation pay cashouts/bonus days on my paystubs. They're technically hours worked but I didn't actually work those days.

Does this affect an application? I keep thinking I'll get rejected because of this. Has anybody gone over 20 and gotten their permit?

NPreti8195

Star Member
Oct 8, 2020
This could be an issue but they don't extensively look into everyone's working hours.
I've been wondering about how they would calculate this - everybody's been saying that it's nothing and that it's the tiniest technicality to get caught up and I know that when I did go over, it was never by 10 extra hours or so - and it's sporadic as I worked in a grocery store. I suppose it's just the waiting that's getting to me.

Jessieboo

Dec 8, 2020
I've been wondering about how they would calculate this - everybody's been saying that it's nothing and that it's the tiniest technicality to get caught up and I know that when I did go over, it was never by 10 extra hours or so - and it's sporadic as I worked in a grocery store. I suppose it's just the waiting that's getting to me.
Just wondering if you got it because I’m in a similar situation