+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Scam sms from bank

cinvest2021

Star Member
Jan 2, 2021
Hello,
I just received an sms saying that my bank account is locked due to suspicious activity. Then a link below to click on, obvisously suspicious.

Clearly this sms is not from my bank and it is a scam.

Now the question is, I looked at the card number of which some numbers were hidden with stars and as far as the sequence shown, it does correspond to my card.

So how come, scammers got the matching and combined information of my bank card number and my phone number so they can send an sms to?

It is hapening quite so often that I receive suspicious sms, which I ignore, but I have never been targeted in such a way, with my card number partially indicated.

This, to me, means that the personal information and payment profile that we register on supposedly reputable and major companies online, is leaking to organized crime circles or some such. It cannot be a otherwise.

What would you do and what would you suggest?

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
They don’t have inside information. They make it seem they do have your personal information. For example, all Royal Bank accounts begin with 4519. So scammers will use 4519********* and state they have your personal information but they don’t because all accounts begin with the number. Some banks have all accounts with the same last 4 digits.

Phone numbers are through robocalling.

Change your password if uneasy. Most banks have a phishing email to alert them of these scams. Your bank’s website will have a section on how to report scams.

cinvest2021

Star Member
Jan 2, 2021
Thanks for the reply. Called the bank to report but too long waiting times, so I have to call again.

What scared me is that they got up to 6 first digits correct....

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for the reply. Called the bank to report but too long waiting times, so I have to call again.

If you go on the bank website, there will be a dedicated email for reporting scams. Again for some banks, the first 6 digits may always be the same.

Reactions: YVR123

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto

Think about it like winning a lottery. Scammers send enough messages that once in a while, they happen to send a person fake message that just happens to match their real details. Person gets extra scared and think it is genuine when it is the same message that they probably sent several other folks who ignored it because number was different. Ditto with phone number or sin or credit card .