+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Saskatchewan health insurance coverage

asd761981

Sep 7, 2020
Hi
I will be receiving Saskatchewan health card by September end. My wife is pregnant and delivery is expected by February. In case I want my baby to be delivered in Toronto will my Saskatchewan health insurance cover that or I have to pay out of my pocket. I have read on sask health that it is possible that health services received in public funded hospital out of province are covered with some exceptions. Anyone has any idea or experience or can guide from where I can get this information
Thanks

asd761981

Sep 7, 2020
I have 3 kids. I don’t have any relative in Saskatoon but my aunt lives in Toronto. It would be difficult for me to manage in Saskatoon. My wife has Saskatchewan health insurance.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
I'm not an expert on this but while it should probably be fine in the end, in the meantime you may need to pay upfront and apply to be reimbursed by Saskatchewan. Then you will have to jump through some hoops to get the baby on the Saskatchewan plan instead of OHIP if you're going to keep living in Saskatoon.

asd761981

Sep 7, 2020
Any particular reason or experience for disagreement. Card will be delivered by end of September. I am a new immigrant

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Any particular reason or experience for disagreement. Card will be delivered by end of September. I am a new immigrant
How many months will your wife have lived in SK? In general provinces want you to use their services because you are paying taxes there and healthcare is paid by each province. Provinces also require you to meet a residency period or you will not qualify for coverage out of SK. There is often a different residency requirement for the 1st year in a province. Hospitals in Ontario plan based on those registering with a Ontario OBs and healthcare is paid through the provinces and their taxes (plus federal transfer payments). Your family doesn’t seems like they are planning to become Ontario taxpayers. It is also a pain for provinces to get other provinces to repay them which is why many doctors and hospitals don’t want to deal with people from other provinces unless prearranged with other governments because of lack of care in that province for complex conditions like transplants and emergency situations although not all care is covered in emergencies.