+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Same Sex Sponsorship

kitkatmom

Oct 17, 2019
Manila
Category........
FAM
A bit of a background. My girlfriend is a PR in Alberta, Canada and has been living there since 2013. We met online through twitter early 2017 and has been in a relationship since July of the same year. We're both Filipinos and she's been coming to the Philippines every year for vacation so we could spend some time together. We're looking into her sponsoring me to come to Canada but we're wondering whether we have a strong case in proving our relationship..

We don't have a joint bank account nor properties under both our names but we do have each other on our life insurance beneficiaries (?) and she helps me financially when needed. She sends them to my bank account and this has been going on since 2017. We have photos together, photos of me with her family and vice versa but our families haven't been able to get together as my parents are not that quite accepting of our relationship due to religious reasons. They are aware of my preference and my relationship but always still says that I hope I change my mind. Her side of the family is quite supportive and are also in Canada with her. Close friends also know of our relationship but we're very careful when outing ourselves.

Also kind of scared, my parents are passionate members of a church where my dad is kind of an employee. If the church finds out about my relationship, my family might get kicked out of our house and be casted away from the rest the family since both sides are also church members. I'd rather have just myself casted away instead of them. I've been wanting to leave the church but due to my parents' wishes, I still go.

Even if we travel to Taiwan where same sex marriage is legal and marry there, it would still be considered void because our civil laws follow the citizens, even if they are abroad. Contracting illegal marriages (like a same-sex marriage) is also a criminal act here and is punished under our Penal Code. (just got this information here and it makes me even more nervous lol)

Also, we have more than 2 years worth of conversation through email, texts, messenger chats. Do all of these need to be translated?

Do you think we could make it with conjugal sponsorship?

Cheers and thank you all! ❤

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
A bit of a background. My girlfriend is a PR in Alberta, Canada and has been living there since 2013. We met online through twitter early 2017 and has been in a relationship since July of the same year. We're both Filipinos and she's been coming to the Philippines every year for vacation so we could spend some time together. We're looking into her sponsoring me to come to Canada but we're wondering whether we have a strong case in proving our relationship..

We don't have a joint bank account nor properties under both our names but we do have each other on our life insurance beneficiaries (?) and she helps me financially when needed. She sends them to my bank account and this has been going on since 2017. We have photos together, photos of me with her family and vice versa but our families haven't been able to get together as my parents are not that quite accepting of our relationship due to religious reasons. They are aware of my preference and my relationship but always still says that I hope I change my mind. Her side of the family is quite supportive and are also in Canada with her. Close friends also know of our relationship but we're very careful when outing ourselves.

Also kind of scared, my parents are passionate members of a church where my dad is kind of an employee. If the church finds out about my relationship, my family might get kicked out of our house and be casted away from the rest the family since both sides are also church members. I'd rather have just myself casted away instead of them. I've been wanting to leave the church but due to my parents' wishes, I still go.

Even if we travel to Taiwan where same sex marriage is legal and marry there, it would still be considered void because our civil laws follow the citizens, even if they are abroad. Contracting illegal marriages (like a same-sex marriage) is also a criminal act here and is punished under our Penal Code. (just got this information here and it makes me even more nervous lol)

Also, we have more than 2 years worth of conversation through email, texts, messenger chats. Do all of these need to be translated?

Do you think we could make it with conjugal sponsorship?

Cheers and thank you all! ❤
Have you tried applying for a TRV to come to Canada to visit her? This is a must before being able to go down the conjugal path. If you are able to get a TRV approved, you would be able to come to Canada, live with her for a year and become common law.

kitkatmom

Oct 17, 2019
Manila
Category........
FAM
Have you tried applying for a TRV to come to Canada to visit her? This is a must before being able to go down the conjugal path. If you are able to get a TRV approved, you would be able to come to Canada, live with her for a year and become common law.
Hi. We're looking into that too. Will I be able to work while on TRV? Or I'd have to request for Work Permit before doing so?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi. We're looking into that too. Will I be able to work while on TRV? Or I'd have to request for Work Permit before doing so?
No - you cannot work on a TRV. You would need to obtain a work permit which requires a job offer and approved LMIA.

spidermark

Dec 6, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 15, 2014
AOR Received.
March 03, 2015

Hi scylla

Whats the Max allowed days you are allowed to stay under TRV?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi scylla

Whats the Max allowed days you are allowed to stay under TRV?
How long you are allowed to stay is determined by CBSA when you enter Canada. Most visitors are given a six month visit by default, however shorter is also possible. If someone wants to stay longer than their allowed visit, they need to apply for an extension from within Canada.

spidermark

Dec 6, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 15, 2014
AOR Received.
March 03, 2015
How long you are allowed to stay is determined by CBSA when you enter Canada. Most visitors are given a six month visit by default, however shorter is also possible. If someone wants to stay longer than their allowed visit, they need to apply for an extension from within Canada.
If a visitor was initially allowed 6 months and then applied extension, do you know what's the minimum and maximum time they can allow?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If a visitor was initially allowed 6 months and then applied extension, do you know what's the minimum and maximum time they can allow?

Minimum is zero days / refused. Maximum is another six months. It's entirely up to IRCC if the extension is approved or not approved and for how long.

spidermark

Dec 6, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 15, 2014
AOR Received.
March 03, 2015
Minimum is zero days / refused. Maximum is another six months. It's entirely up to IRCC if the extension is approved or not approved and for how long.

Which do you think will be the best option?

*Marrying outside Canada and applying partner for PR later
*Applying TRV for partner then Request Extension so we can apply Conjugal Sponsorship later
*Applying TRV for partner and Marrying inside Canada

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Which do you think will be the best option?

*Marrying outside Canada and applying partner for PR later
*Applying TRV for partner then Request Extension so we can apply Conjugal Sponsorship later
*Applying TRV for partner and Marrying inside Canada
#2 is not possible. I think you mean common law sponsorship - not conjugal. That is possible.

It's really up to you what you do. For #1, it is a long process to get PR approved (around 2 years) and the sponsor will need to be living in Canada while the application is being processed.

For #2 and #3, it all depends on whether the TRV is approved.

Reactions: Tintin and Snowy

spidermark

Dec 6, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 15, 2014
AOR Received.
March 03, 2015
^Yeah.. sorry Common law sponsorship was what I meant.

Okay, that means TRV is the one we need to focus on.

Thank you so much, any tips where I can find more info on how to apply for TRV?
and also the DOs and Donts.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
^Yeah.. sorry Common law sponsorship was what I meant.

Okay, that means TRV is the one we need to focus on.

Thank you so much, any tips where I can find more info on how to apply for TRV?
and also the DOs and Donts.
Instructions on how to apply for a TRV are here: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp

In terms of dos and don'ts, your best bet is to dedicate a number of days to reading through the posts in this Visitors section of the forum.

Reactions: spidermark