+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

same sex marriage

Pelikan

Sep 26, 2014
hi guys,

i have following questins:

1. i applied to manitoba program in december 2013 and no new til now. in the meantime i got married (same-sex marriage). although it is not considered "full-marriage" in my country of origin, but just a "common-law-relationship".
do i have to inform my officer about it?
even if my partner is not comming with we at this time, since he has to finish his studies first?
2. to apply for a common-law, we have to live at least one year together. we live just 6 month together. so how do i handle it?
3. i am not openly gay at my family in canada so my supporter does not knows at this time of my life, that i am gay. would it be a problem if the officer would ask him about my gay marriage and my supporter would not know about it? or can i ask the officer to treat it as a privat matter?

any ideas and thoughts are welcome!
thank you!

susana

Nov 4, 2008
Pelikan said:
hi guys,

i have following questins:

1. i applied to manitoba program in december 2013 and no new til now. in the meantime i got married (same-sex marriage). although it is not considered "full-marriage" in my country of origin, but just a "common-law-relationship".

do i have to inform my officer about it?

Where did you get married ? If your marriage is not legal in your countty, is not legal in Canada . He is not your common-law partner for immigration purposes either.

even if my partner is not comming with we at this time, since he has to finish his studies first?
2. to apply for a common-law, we have to live at least one year together. we live just 6 month together. so how do i handle it?
Again, he is not a common-law partner, he could qualify as conjugal partner but is very difficult to prove.

3. i am not openly gay at my family in canada so my supporter does not knows at this time of my life, that i am gay. would it be a problem if the officer would ask him about my gay marriage and my supporter would not know about it? or can i ask the officer to treat it as a privat matter?

What do you mean as your supporter ? Are you talking about your employer ? No one has access to your information though but if you are hidding your marital ststus from friends and family, it could be a red flag in your application.

any ideas and thoughts are welcome!
thank you!

Pelikan

Sep 26, 2014
Hey, thank you for your answer Susana.

In my country it’s called “Civil unions and registered partnerships”, but not marriage.

My supporter (friend) does not know that I am gay and I don’t want him to know (at least at this time of my life) about this fact. I don’t want a coming out right now.

susana

Nov 4, 2008
You need to declare your partner as conjugal partner, update the forms , submit the certificate for the union (if any ) and write an explanation letter about your new marital status. Is better to include your partner now, even though he is not coming to Canada right away, he can get his PR and after receiving hid PR card he can go back to your country and finish his studies. Keeping PR status is another story, no need to worry about it now.