+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Same job in same company, but in two time periods; two reference letters?

Oct 3, 2018
I'm gathering reference letters to prove my work experience. I have a little over three years of experience in total, but two of these come from the same company. What happened is that I worked for one year at the company, switched companies for a year, but then went back to the first company (after some work condition changes in the second company).

My question is, should I have two reference letters for the two time periods? The same positions are practically the same, same title and same job duties, even the same salary and benefits. Can I simply list both dates in the same reference letter, or do I need to get two separate letters, even though the content is practically the same?

Appreciate any insights!

bairn7

Feb 27, 2015
I don't know the answer but I'm in the same situation and I'm asking for one reference letter to cover both periods.

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
I'm gathering reference letters to prove my work experience. I have a little over three years of experience in total, but two of these come from the same company. What happened is that I worked for one year at the company, switched companies for a year, but then went back to the first company (after some work condition changes in the second company).

My question is, should I have two reference letters for the two time periods? The same positions are practically the same, same title and same job duties, even the same salary and benefits. Can I simply list both dates in the same reference letter, or do I need to get two separate letters, even though the content is practically the same?

Appreciate any insights!
Either will do. However, you'll be listing both the work experiences as separate entries in your profile, so you'll get two placeholders to upload the relevant letters. Now if you choose to go with one letter, upload same letter in both placeholders. If you decide to go with different letters for each period, upload the relevant letter next to the placeholder.

Good luck!

Reactions: excited_prospect
Oct 3, 2018
Either will do. However, you'll be listing both the work experiences as separate entries in your profile, so you'll get two placeholders to upload the relevant letters. Now if you choose to go with one letter, upload same letter in both placeholders. If you decide to go with different letters for each period, upload the relevant letter next to the placeholder.

Good luck!
Ah I never realized there would be separate fields for the different times. I guess using two letters with the exact same wording and only different dates would look weird, so one letter with both time periods it is. Thanks a lot!