+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Same employer, different payrates

deep1992

Sep 4, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
Hi everyone,

I do not know if this question has been asked before or not but I have one query.

I am continuing to work full time in the restaurant I had been working since last 2 years when I was studying. I am going to be promoted to be a supervisor this month and I have been working full time as a cook at the moment for a month.

That being said, it is obvious my payrate is going to be changed when I become a supervisor but I may not get fully 30 hours being a supervisor and maybe help out the team being a cook for 5-10 hours shift a week and rest 20-24 hours being a supervisor.

I will get paid with two different payrates when being a supervisor and being a cook. Will that affect my CEC application in the future when I apply next year? I am just worried and would like to know if anyone else faced a similar situation.

Also, my general manager is going to fully support me with the entire process so if I can make any changes in my letter, they will do it for me.

Thank you in advance. Looking forward to responses :)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi everyone,

I do not know if this question has been asked before or not but I have one query.

I am continuing to work full time in the restaurant I had been working since last 2 years when I was studying. I am going to be promoted to be a supervisor this month and I have been working full time as a cook at the moment for a month.

That being said, it is obvious my payrate is going to be changed when I become a supervisor but I may not get fully 30 hours being a supervisor and maybe help out the team being a cook for 5-10 hours shift a week and rest 20-24 hours being a supervisor.

I will get paid with two different payrates when being a supervisor and being a cook. Will that affect my CEC application in the future when I apply next year? I am just worried and would like to know if anyone else faced a similar situation.

Also, my general manager is going to fully support me with the entire process so if I can make any changes in my letter, they will do it for me.

Thank you in advance. Looking forward to responses :)

It is quite common for supervisors to perform the same work as the staff they supervise. However, the fact that you will be paid a different rate for the different functions suggests that your employer considers them as 2 separate jobs.

So list them as 2 separate (part-time) jobs. When you work 2 part-time jobs at the same time and accumulate 30 or more hours combined, it is treated the same as full-time work. There is no reason to worry, part-time work is very much accepted, as is combining 2 part-time jobs (yes, with 2 different NOCs) to qualify. You need to work 52 full weeks in a skilled NOC to qualify (full time, or full-time equivalent).

What were you doing before you started working as a cook a month ago?

deep1992

Sep 4, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
It is quite common for supervisors to perform the same work as the staff they supervise. However, the fact that you will be paid a different rate for the different functions suggests that your employer considers them as 2 separate jobs.

So list them as 2 separate (part-time) jobs. When you work 2 part-time jobs at the same time and accumulate 30 or more hours combined, it is treated the same as full-time work. There is no reason to worry, part-time work is very much accepted, as is combining 2 part-time jobs (yes, with 2 different NOCs) to qualify. You need to work 52 full weeks in a skilled NOC to qualify (full time, or full-time equivalent).

What were you doing before you started working as a cook a month ago?
Thanks for your response. I was working just as a cook for 20-25 hours a week since February and was looking for other field related jobs but as time went by and I realized I should concentrate more on PR and figure my life out after I get it. I spoke to the General Manager about promotion and she agreed thankfully. Now I have been working 30+ hours every week for last 4 weeks. I may request about my pay rate to remain the same for supervisor and cook if that's cool? CIC wouldn't know whatever I work as long as my reference letter says I am a supervisor?

Also if you could please tell me how can I prove that I did 15 hours of supervisor shift and 15 hours of cook? I would sometimes do 25 hours of supervisor and only 5 hours of cook. Is that okay?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I may request about my pay rate to remain the same for supervisor and cook if that's cool?
Why on earth would you do that, if supervisor pays better? Because of a little extra paperwork? Personally, I would rather have the extra money...

CIC wouldn't know whatever I work as long as my reference letter says I am a supervisor?
I'm not even sure what you mean here. Are you trying to hide something? Why would you want to hide something that is completely legitimate?

Also if you could please tell me how can I prove that I did 15 hours of supervisor shift and 15 hours of cook?
Track your hours, save your time sheets, include the info in the employer's letter of reference....

I would sometimes do 25 hours of supervisor and only 5 hours of cook. Is that okay?
??? Why not? But you will have to track your hours on a weekly basis. Keep a spreadsheet. At least you are only one month in...(not a whole year ).