+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Same degree is evaluated by WES differently - very confusing

Sukhvinder 334

Mar 27, 2015
Dear all friends,
I have Bachelor of Science in Agriculture & Animal Husbandry ( 3 years duration with second Division ) and Master of Science in Agriculture with specialization in Animal Breeding ( 2 year duration with First Division ) from Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology - Pantnagar, India. Few years back My both degree were evaluated by NewZealand Qualification Authority as comparable to Newzealand qualification i.e Bachelor degree to bachelor degree and Master degree to Master degree.
BUT now when I used FREE WES DEGREE EQUIVALENCY For United Status it given result as follow:
Equivalency in U.S.: Bachelor's and master's degree

AND when I used FREE WES DEGREE EQUIVALENCY For Canada it says different story:
Equivalency in Canada: Community College Diploma (3 years) and Equivalency in Canada: Bachelor's degree (3 years)
Not only this when you fill data in WES free tool for US it given options for Division of your degree as - 1,2,3
But in case you try to see your degree equvallancy for WES Canada it gives option for division of your degree as 1, 2 in this case if you achieved Second division than you have to fill Third Division as there is no option for second division.
It is really confusing me because if my degree is equivalent to Master degree in Newzealand and USA then why it is judged as Bachelor degree in Canada. Can someone clear my doubts as I do not want to just waste my money and time for applying for evaluation. Please also tell me how many points will I get for these degree for Canadian immigration.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your frustration is completely understandable but it is perfectly normal for different countries to have different standards when it comes to evaluating overseas education credentials.

The alternative for you is to check with CES (http://learn.utoronto.ca/international-professionals/comparative-education-service-ces/immigration) or ICAS (http://www.icascanada.ca/fsw/home.aspx). WES is unarguably the fastest among all 3 agencies and I don't expect the others to give you a different answer but it is still an option you have.

The way things stand, you are likely to end up having to choose Bachelors while filling up your EE profile, if you're still keen on Canada that is.

All the best!

new_day

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
I found another two people completed same degree from same university but wes gave different result.
WES did not give any scope to mail them directly,you have to connect them via their prescribed format where you can not keep any track of your previous email.
they do not act transparently

Sukhvinder 334

Mar 27, 2015
Thanks you all
Today I found one more confusion on WES free equivalency tool for Canada. When I filled my Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (3 years with second division ) and Master of Science in Agriculture ( 2 year with first division ) from Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology- India in the format, it gives result that my both degrees are equivalent to only Bachelor degree in Canada.

BUT surprisingly if you change only name of the university and put University of Delhi- India it says these degree are equivalent to Master degree in Canada.

Now I want to ask as both universities are recognized by UGC and AICTE in india and both universities are recognized by WES and in their list of universities then why same degree with same duration and division, judged differently by Canadian education assessment authority. Moreover Govind Ballabh Pant university is one of the best university in Agricultural science then why this difference of result on WES free equivalency tool.

It looks to me Software developed by WES for free equivalency tool is faulty and actual position will clear only after actual assessment by WES . What you people think? is this wes free tool is reliable ?

Reactions: Darsh_123

Darsh_123

Dec 13, 2017
Thanks you all
Today I found one more confusion on WES free equivalency tool for Canada. When I filled my Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (3 years with second division ) and Master of Science in Agriculture ( 2 year with first division ) from Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology- India in the format, it gives result that my both degrees are equivalent to only Bachelor degree in Canada.

BUT surprisingly if you change only name of the university and put University of Delhi- India it says these degree are equivalent to Master degree in Canada.

Now I want to ask as both universities are recognized by UGC and AICTE in india and both universities are recognized by WES and in their list of universities then why same degree with same duration and division, judged differently by Canadian education assessment authority. Moreover Govind Ballabh Pant university is one of the best university in Agricultural science then why this difference of result on WES free equivalency tool.

It looks to me Software developed by WES for free equivalency tool is faulty and actual position will clear only after actual assessment by WES . What you people think? is this wes free tool is reliable ?
Hi,

I face the same problem.

I have BCA from Dharamsinh Desai University (3 years) and it should be equivalent to Bachelors degree in Canada however i says equivalent to Community College Diploma (3 years).

WES has listed Dharamsinh Desai University as a Dharamsinh Desai Institute of technology (i.e. a division of a uni.). When i tried to change the University and selected Sardar Patel University (which is actually low level Uni from Dharamsinh Desai), it says my degree is equivalent to Bachelors degree in Canada.

Can anyone tell what are the points we get from CIC (CRS calculation) for Community college Diploma for 3 years? Is it equivalent to Bachelors?

jaspaladil

Aug 16, 2017
Finally what happened in your case.
I am BA + MA from Lucknow
Mine is also the similar case where in when I am trying with Lucknow university it gives Community college Diploma & Bachelors but with Calcutta university it is Bachelors and Masters