+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sad US CPA in need of a job in Canada

KateVancity

Jan 21, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am a US CPA (Certified Public Accountant), currently residing in Vancouver, Canada. I moved here under a closed work permit, which allowed me to stay in Canada till November 2017, but I can only work for 1 company. I rage quit that company last December, and I am having trouble finding a job in Vancouver. It seems like almost all companies automatically stop reviewing my job application when they see that I am legally not allowed to work in Canada.

I am considering becoming a PR under Express Entry, but that would take time to process. Anyone has any recommendation or leads on how I can land an accounting job in Canada as a US citizen? ;D Or maybe what companies are willing to hire Internationals (esp. US citizens)?

Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

Accountant is a NAFTA profession. You don't require an LMIA. You can get a work permit with just a job offer.

Look at section 3 here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/international/nafta.asp.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Something I always say to people I mentor is that it's easier to find a job when you're in a job (even if it's a bad one). But obviously too late for you...

Once piece of advice I can offer you is to say away from the big five banks. They generally don't like dealing with the foreign worker bit - even if the occupation falls under NAFTA and no LMIA is required. So I wouldn't bother exploring any of their jobs.

Good luck - hope you find something.

KateVancity

Jan 21, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

Accountant is a NAFTA profession. You don't require an LMIA. You can get a work permit with just a job offer.
Yea, but it's difficult to get a company to offer me a job in the first place when I'm not a citizen. Most companies scan me out of the pool without looking at my resume when I answered "No" to "Are you legally allowed to work in Canada?" :'(

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
KateVancity said:
Yea, but it's difficult to get a company to offer me a job in the first place when I'm not a citizen. Most companies scan me out of the pool without looking at my resume when I answered "No" to "Are you legally allowed to work in Canada?" :'(
When applying, contact HR or the hiring manager directly and explain that under NAFTA, you can have a work permit in a day with a job offer.

KateVancity

Jan 21, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
When applying, contact HR or the hiring manager directly and explain that under NAFTA, you can have a work permit in a day with a job offer.
Oooooo... That's an interesting thought! Thanks for sharing that!