+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

<<<<< Russkie plz advise >>>>

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
Hi Russkie,

I have got some questions for you which I am posting into this section so that it could be beneficial for others as well.And as per your advice, I have advised my son to consider other possible options alongwith the career in medicine.I would be very grateful if you could guide us in this regard.

1)Please advice what in your view could be the competitive high school averages for Alberta High school students for admission into:

a)Pre med programme
b)Engineering Programme
c)Business Programmes

offered at U of Calgary & U of Alberta.If possible plz advice, in your view ,alongwith the academic averages are there any factors which are taken into consideration for granting admission in the above two mentioned universities by the admission authorities.

Your advice will be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Newcomer

R

russkie

It depends. The only program that calls itself "premedical" at the UofC is Bachelor in Health Sciences over in medical school. It is competitive, especially on general biomed track. I would say 85-89 % for admission, but you have to google or even better call program coordinator. They would love and will give you tons of crap and bits of information. I am not all too familiar with the current state of affairs in UofA and would comment on the UofC only.

I would rank several program in the main campus way higher still. Most notably CMMB and BCHEM in Biological Sciences. Entrances are competitive. Sometimes very competitive. Calgary has brand new neurosciences program funded by the province. I don't think it would be wise choice in a long run, simply because no formal base exist for serious neuro here as compared to UoA. There it could be a variant to think about. Stay away from "all-welcome" Natural Sciences programs. General Biosci is an o`k option with relatively easy to get entrance barrier. Many of the students have a freedom to escape claiming their specializaiton until very late in their studied. The department would require them to take mandatory core courses and if the program chosen is the one I mentioned above, chances are that pre-med requirements such as anatomy, cell bio, biochemistry etc would be satisfied. "Pre-med" is just a term, meaning that the student has all credits. For example lots of health science students from fac.med are taking courses in Sciences - genetics, anatomy etc.

What about engineering programme? It would be around 85+ to pretty much all of engineering programs with , maybe, exception for civil. It doesn't matter much for the first year and then your son if admitted would be able to decide for himself.

No clue about business programs. Sorry.

Again, the best option is to contact directly the school of interest. They have all kinds of people who are there to answer these questions and they really like to be contacted. Believe or not.

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
Thanks a lot Russkie for the great piece of information .Appreciated!!!

You have showed me the right path,sure soon I will be contacting the Programme Directors for both these universities.

Thanks once again.