Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2012
I've reviewed the info here but I'm a bit confused.

What are the rules for maintaining PR status while accompanying spouse outside Canada? Specifically, my dual citizen (U.S./Canada) husband sponsored me and I have PR status in Canada now (I'm U.S. citizen). My husband's employer is about to transfer him to U.S. for 3-4 years. I will accompany him, but how to maintain my PR status?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As long as you have proofs that you accompany him in the US, your PR status would be maintained.

zajirima

Nov 8, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2012
Is there any time limit how long I can stay outside Canada in this situation? It's possible we may be outside for 10+ years.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zajirima said:
Is there any time limit how long I can stay outside Canada in this situation? It's possible we may be outside for 10+ years.
There is no time limit. Your PR card will expire and it may be hard for you to renew it if you don't live in Canada but you keep your PR status. If you ever decide to move back, you just move and then you apply for a new PR card and state that for the past 5 years you have been living with your Canadian spouse outside Canada. The time you spent with your Canadian spouse outside Canada counts towards the PR residency requirements the same as time spent in Canada.

In order to have proof that you and your husband were living together, make sure that both your names are on the lease, mortgage, utilities etc.

zajirima

Nov 8, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2012
Leon said:
There is no time limit. Your PR card will expire and it may be hard for you to renew it if you don't live in Canada but you keep your PR status. If you ever decide to move back, you just move and then you apply for a new PR card and state that for the past 5 years you have been living with your Canadian spouse outside Canada. The time you spent with your Canadian spouse outside Canada counts towards the PR residency requirements the same as time spent in Canada.

In order to have proof that you and your husband were living together, make sure that both your names are on the lease, mortgage, utilities etc.
Leon, following the scenario you laid out above and we return in 5 years, can I immediately apply for citizenship upon my return? If not, what is the requirement for citizenship using this example?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zajirima said:
Leon, following the scenario you laid out above and we return in 5 years, can I immediately apply for citizenship upon my return? If not, what is the requirement for citizenship using this example?
You need to provide proofs that you physically residing the right amount of days before you are eligible to apply for citizenship. Accompanying a Citizen spouse only count toward maintaining permanent residency.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky is right. Accompanying a spouse (unless they are Canadian military or goverment) can not be used toward the citizenship requirement. In order to apply for citizenship, you must have been in Canada for 1095 days in the 4 year period before you apply. That means during those 4 years, you can only have spent one outside Canada. Since you will be leaving Canada now for more than one year, you will have to stay for at least 3 when you are back in order to be able to apply.

zajirima

Nov 8, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2012
Once residency requirements are met for citizenship, what is the typical processing time to receive citizenship (for a U.S. case like the example above) after application sent?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
zajirima said:
Once residency requirements are met for citizenship, what is the typical processing time to receive citizenship (for a U.S. case like the example above) after application sent?
Processing times are around 21 months right now:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/cit-processing.asp