+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ AFTER OATH CONFIRMATION

coolcanadian

Star Member
Aug 8, 2013
I feel like shouting screaming i feel like beating my own self up. I been a dumb fool. I took my citizenship test few weeks ago at Scarborough Town all went extremely well. I was told to expect my Oath invitation in 6-8 weeks. Two weeks ago i was told by my boss that i had to travel to Vancouver for a 4 weeks training session. I called CIC just to find out the status of my application. I was told my Oath day will be at the end of August and they are in the process of sending me the Oath invitation. Silly me i advised the agent of my job situation and requested if that can be reschedule. Today I had received RQ in mail. I feel so helpless i feel like withdrawing my application feel like giving up my PR and just return back to my country. This is ridiculous what CIC had done to me. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Is anyone in the same or similar situation as I am????I am sure there must be plenty of victims just like myself :( :( :(

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This was really dumb on part of CIC.I guess they wanted to teach you a lesson that absolutely nothing is more important than your oath date. I mean this is real serious stuff you know, but they should have atleast told you to change your training date unless you were rude to them over the phone I dont see why they asked for RQ

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Similar story:

RQ after getting Invitation letter to take Oath [Mississauga]

I wrote the exam in the Mississauga office in March 2013. Was told after the exam that I have cleared the exam along with the score and gave me the invitation letter to take Oath on the very next week itself. I had a planned vacation the next week for couple of weeks (Out of Country) and told the officer that I would like to take the oath after I am back from the vacation. The officer initially suggested to take Oath and don't apply for passport and you can come back after the vacation and apply it. Then the officer discussed my case with another officer and said I might have a problem while returning back to Canada as I have to surrender the PR during the Oath.

The officer later said he will make a note on my arrival date and will send a new invitation letter through mail after I have come back from the vacation and took back the given invitation letter. I came back very happy.

The very next day Mississauga office has send me a letter requesting for an RQ.(Received couple of days before my vacation) Totally surprised.
Do not reschedule test or oath.

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
well i received my notice to appear to take a Oath in which the following points are very clearly mentioned:

IF YOU DO NOT ATTEND THIS EVENT AT THE ABOVE DATE,TIME AND PLACE, YOU WILL HAVE TO EITHER:

1. FILE A NEW APPLICATION FOR CITIZENSHIP,OR
2. CONVINCE THE JUDGE THAT YOU COULD NOT APPEAR FOR GOOD REASON. YOU MUST DO THIS WITHIN SIXTY (60) DAYS OF THE ABOVE DATE.

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
Calm down.... it is not your fault ... you did not do anything wrong

Do not be sad. if your intention to live in Canada this will not affect you because it dose not matter if you will be citizen today or after 12 months.

live your life and do not think too much do not blame yourself i am sure you will a Canadian sooooner

leafchi

Jun 3, 2013
I am very sorry to hear such misfortune, and I have started worry about my situation..... I wrote and passed my citizenship test in Vancouver on June 5th. Then, I was told by the citizenship officer whom interviewed me that oath scheduling may take up to 3-5 months, which means the earliest oath ceremony I might be scheduled in would be Sept 5th. However, I am having a family trip to Europe for my graduation ceremony and a cruise vacation on Sept 1st and coming back on the 19th. I am very worried shall I be invited to attend the ceremony during the trip. Should I notify CIC before my trip? or should I risk not to in order to avoid potential troubles that may imposed to me ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
leafchi said:
I am very sorry to hear such misfortune, and I have started worry about my situation..... I wrote and passed my citizenship test in Vancouver on June 5th. Then, I was told by the citizenship officer whom interviewed me that oath scheduling may take up to 3-5 months, which means the earliest oath ceremony I might be scheduled in would be Sept 5th. However, I am having a family trip to Europe for my graduation ceremony and a cruise vacation on Sept 1st and coming back on the 19th. I am very worried shall I be invited to attend the ceremony during the trip. Should I notify CIC before my trip? or should I risk not to in order to avoid potential troubles that may imposed to me ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Piece of advice DO NOT try to change your Oath date or you will have to face the dreaded RQ, this is my own personal advice of course the choice is yours I had heard about couple of cases of this nature and unfortunately they had been issues a RQ . I don't know why they told you so long usually it takes from 6-8 weeks. Its sad that CIC is doing this as we all have other plans in life.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IMO there should be a cut off date to request RQ, for example the test invitation. They should be able to realize before the test invitation if they want an RQ or not. What they are doing looks to me as they are using RQ to punish people who are not ready to drop everything for the test/oath dates, even just for asking about it.

I also learned that you should not try to re-schedule. I was also planning a trip after my test. I called the call centre and asked how long after the test I could expect the oath and they made it clear to me that I would not be able to schedule or re-schedule the oath at my own convenience. Maybe it was lucky for me that I did not tell them my name.

I would encourage the people this has happened to, to report this to their MP. If you are worried about revenge from immigration, then wait until you have your citizenship, order your case notes where it may be shown why you were given an RQ and and then go to your MP. Your MP is your link to the government. If enough people complain, maybe something will happen.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OKK said:
well i received my notice to appear to take a Oath in which the following points are very clearly mentioned:

IF YOU DO NOT ATTEND THIS EVENT AT THE ABOVE DATE,TIME AND PLACE, YOU WILL HAVE TO EITHER:

1. FILE A NEW APPLICATION FOR CITIZENSHIP,OR
2. CONVINCE THE JUDGE THAT YOU COULD NOT APPEAR FOR GOOD REASON. YOU MUST DO THIS WITHIN SIXTY (60) DAYS OF THE ABOVE DATE.
Thanks for posting this OKK.
In regards to the original poster though, they said they hadn't received the invitation yet, and were inquiring about their case with the call centre, so they would not have had access to warnings you saw.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coolcanadian said:
I feel like shouting screaming i feel like beating my own self up. I been a dumb fool.
You are not dumb. You are human. You have a life. You have a job. The CIC has seemingly established a rule which does not take the humanity of its clients into account. Clients should not be punished for being human, nor should they be punished for asking human-style questions. Being a human does not make you less qualified for citizenship and it does not indicate a lack of respect for citizenship. A system which disregards the humanity of its clients is fundamentally flawed.

Please consider engaging a lawyer. I am not a legal expert, but you may be able to make a mandamus challenge the additional delay caused by the RQ as "unreasonable". Or you may be able to present a legal challenge to the apparent new policy of sending RQs to anyone asking about rescheduling an oath ceremony. The expectation that clients need to guarantee complete availability on any given day within a three year window does not meet basic standards for fair and due process.

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
eileenf said:
Thanks for posting this OKK.
In regards to the original poster though, they said they hadn't received the invitation yet, and were inquiring about their case with the call centre, so they would not have had access to warnings you saw.
I completely agree but was just posting what it indicates on the actual invitation as there was a individual who was given a Oath invitation right after his test at Mississauga CIC but he still tried to change his date.

Later

Aug 3, 2012
eileenf said:
Please consider engaging a lawyer. I am not a legal expert, but you may be able to make a mandamus challenge the additional delay caused by the RQ as "unreasonable". Or you may be able to present a legal challenge to the apparent new policy of sending RQs to anyone asking about rescheduling an oath ceremony. The expectation that clients need to guarantee complete availability on any given day within a three year window does not meet basic standards for fair and due process.
I agree. You did nothing wrong (this was an issue related to your job, your livelihood). Touch base with a lawyer to see whether the law can offer you some relief.

coolcanadian

Star Member
Aug 8, 2013
spoken to a lawyer today legally at this point I have no case however i had ordered my file as per the lawyer to see if anything can be challenged on that. I am so screwed honestly i don't even know where to start. I am finding this RQ more difficult then my PHD. I am seriously considering to jut withdraw my application to hell with it all.