+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ after getting Invitation letter to take Oath [Mississauga]

vrsekaran

Apr 23, 2013
I heard stories of so many who get RQ after exams. But mine was very interesting. I wrote the exam in the Mississauga office in March 2013. Was told after the exam that I have cleared the exam along with the score and gave me the invitation letter to take Oath on the very next week itself. I had a planned vacation the next week for couple of weeks (Out of Country) and told the officer that I would like to take the oath after I am back from the vacation. The officer initially suggested to take Oath and don't apply for passport and you can come back after the vacation and apply it. Then the officer discussed my case with another officer and said I might have a problem while returning back to Canada as I have to surrender the PR during the Oath.

The officer later said he will make a note on my arrival date and will send a new invitation letter through mail after I have come back from the vacation and took back the given invitation letter. I came back very happy.

The very next day Mississauga office has send me a letter requesting for an RQ.(Received couple of days before my vacation) Totally surprised. Call the call center agent and they said its weird that it happened to you and there were no reason mentioned for RQ except requesting it. So the agent asked me to write a cover up letter explaining my scenario and along with RQ and related documents. Initially agent was not convinced that I was been given invitation letter in hand immediately after the exam as its usually send through mail. Then I had to explain this is what happened to me [May be Mississauga office has changed the procedure to expedite things]

Submitted the RQ and supporting documents with a cover up letter and posted it before I left for the vacation.

Well I should have been a citizen by March 2013 had I accepted the invitation letter. Now... No Idea.

Applied May 2012/Exam Mid March 2013 + Invitation letter for Oath (same day)/RQ follows next day. [Clear Records, only 3-4 Out of country trips, verified by the immigration officer with my passport during the exam]

cocosyr

Star Member
Mar 30, 2012
You brought it to yourself. It was a really dumb thing to do, I mean, to discuss with CO your vacation plan abroad, especially considering the fact that people could get RQ anytime these days, that is, even after getting an invitation to the oath ceremony.

Halloum

Star Member
Apr 7, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wish I haven't read this. Hopefully this is just a mistake. I'm truly sorry to hear this even happend.

thunderlight

Apr 5, 2013
i totally agree with cocosyr, that was not smart from you to tell the officer you want to leave canada after the test,

cadvis

Star Member
Mar 23, 2013
This shows only their inefficiency. I don't think vrsekaran did anything wrong with going on vacation. people have lifes. They came here to live. If What they have done so is exactly as vrsekaran described, this is most dumbest thing. This shows that they are working baseless with no standard rules. GOD BLESS CANADA

vrsekaran

Apr 23, 2013
thunderlight said:
i totally agree with cocosyr, that was not smart from you to tell the officer you want to leave canada after the test,
Well everyone have their personal life and vacation is a part of it. And its truly not wise to say don't plan any vacations while your citizenship is in process which could trigger an RQ. Well my timing turned out to be bad where literally I don't have any time to apply for Canadian Passport ( (2 days after Oath) and then apply for a visa to my home country before my travel date. So left with 2 choices either cancel my planned vacation (flight tickets, + all the programs back home like family get-together etc) or let the officer know and postpone oath for a couple of weeks. And that too I have to take the decision in such a short time (<5 min). Who would have expected an RQ after the officer says we will send you the new invitation letter once you arrive back.

We have to remember we are dealing with government agency and the reasons for sending RQ is not transparent [Call center agent tried to find out why I was given RQ and couldn't find any note on my file]. And I wish somehow this message reaches the Government/CIC higher officials to know what's literally happening with the RQ.

cadvis

Star Member
Mar 23, 2013
vrsekaran said:
Well everyone have their personal life and vacation is a part of it. And its truly not wise to say don't plan any vacations while your citizenship is in process which could trigger an RQ. Well my timing turned out to be bad where literally I don't have any time to apply for Canadian Passport ( (2 days after Oath) and then apply for a visa to my home country before my travel date. So left with 2 choices either cancel my planned vacation (flight tickets, + all the programs back home like family get-together etc) or let the officer know and postpone oath for a couple of weeks. And that too I have to take the decision in such a short time (<5 min). Who would have expected an RQ after the officer says we will send you the new invitation letter once you arrive back.

We have to remember we are dealing with government agency and the reasons for sending RQ is not transparent [Call center agent tried to find out why I was given RQ and couldn't find any note on my file]. And I wish somehow this message reaches the Government/CIC higher officials to know what's literally happening with the RQ.
you did not do anything wrong... given your situation I would also do the same. I would say that they are just weird... who think they are smart... give me a break

Halloum

Star Member
Apr 7, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vrsekaran said:

Don't blame yourself. it could have happened to me too. If i already bought tickets and had a gentleman agreement with the CO who consulted another CO and said it's fine, then i would not hesitate to get on with my life and defer it for a couple of weeks. Obviously, if you were a scammer, you would have acted differently. But what you can do? Bright people are scarce these days.

thunderlight

Apr 5, 2013
hey Bro, if they said: hey your oath is next week, i would said ok, i go i take the citizenship certificate and apply for passport abroad in ANY canadian embassy and travel anywhere i want, that is not a brainer, in the other hand, i do agree with cadvis in this forum thread, they just give RQ to anyone by any random reason! so guys and girls smile and tell them what they want to hear, after you got the passport travel to the end of the world bro!!! yea yea

mvb

Feb 8, 2013
thunderlight said:
hey Bro, if they said: hey your oath is next week, i would said ok, i go i take the citizenship certificate and apply for passport abroad in ANY canadian embassy and travel anywhere i want, that is not a brainer, in the other hand, i do agree with cadvis in this forum thread, they just give RQ to anyone by any random reason! so guys and girls smile and tell them what they want to hear, after you got the passport travel to the end of the world bro!!! yea yea
It doesn't work in some countries like India because the moment you take the Canadian oath, your other Indian citizenship gets cancelled and hence the passport becomes void. Even if you hide that and travel with the old PP, the moment you surrender the PP to them, the Indian authorities will find out from the entry stamps and you will be fined. It will become an hassle to convince them to get visa (or PIO or OCI) for the future.

The way, my friend followed is: He took the Urgent canadian passport and applied for the emergency Visa with valid ticket and got the visa the same day!

No point in thinking about whatever had happened and OP should start compiling the RQ supporting docu and submit it within 45 business days.

cocosyr

Star Member
Mar 30, 2012
I just hope you really had a good time with your family in India or wherever it is you are from. That's what matters, innit? If you think your vacation is worth years of wait constantly wondering why you got RQ and when you'll get the invitation again, then everything is OK. No?