+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Route to PR during IEC

Jakub

Jul 9, 2018
Hi peeps,

What is the easiest/most realistic route to Permanent Residence during the one year IEC programme? I would possibly work as an Admin (if work is available, I have a UK diploma in Business but have minimal exp), TEFL Teacher, Forklift Operator or Labouring/Manufacturing/Warehousing. Happy to take whatever's available really. As most of those aren't really "skilled" trades, what are the changes and the paths to take to PR?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi peeps,

What is the easiest/most realistic route to Permanent Residence during the one year IEC programme? I would possibly work as an Admin (if work is available, I have a UK diploma in Business but have minimal exp), TEFL Teacher, Forklift Operator or Labouring/Manufacturing/Warehousing. Happy to take whatever's available really. As most of those aren't really "skilled" trades, what are the changes and the paths to take to PR?
There's no easy route.

Tough with just a one year IEC, only a diploma and minimal previous work experience. Best option is to try to get one full year of full time work experience in a skilled NOC (A, B or 0) while you are here on the IEC. Even with that, quite possible you won't have enough points to be selected.

If you can find an LMIA supported job offer - that would increase your chances. Although that tends to be quite difficult to do.

Jakub

Jul 9, 2018
There's no easy route.

Tough with just a one year IEC, only a diploma and minimal previous work experience. Best option is to try to get one full year of full time work experience in a skilled NOC (A, B or 0) while you are here on the IEC. Even with that, quite possible you won't have enough points to be selected.

If you can find an LMIA supported job offer - that would increase your chances. Although that tends to be quite difficult to do.
So the most realistic route is to get a degree, get experience and try to get 450+ points? IELTS should be a breeze for me. I heard doing multiple language tests can bump up the points, is that really the case?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So the most realistic route is to get a degree, get experience and try to get 450+ points? IELTS should be a breeze for me. I heard doing multiple language tests can bump up the points, is that really the case?
Yes - that's about right. Right now those with 440+ points are being selected. So do the math to figure out what it will take for you to get into that rage.

Not sure what you mean by doing multiple language test. Only one English test can be considered in your score. However you can certainly take it multiple times to achieve the best score possible. If you do very well on the first test - there won't be any point taking it multiple times. Also - don't assume you'll do great because your primary language is English - very very common mistake. You need to dedicate time to studying the marking structure (i.e. how marks are awarded) and taking practice tests if you want to achieve a score that gets you the most points possible. If you just breeze in there and take it - chances are high you won't get the score you were expecting. Like any test - you need to study.

Jakub

Jul 9, 2018
Yes - that's about right. Right now those with 440+ points are being selected. So do the math to figure out what it will take for you to get into that rage.

Not sure what you mean by doing multiple language test. Only one English test can be considered in your score. However you can certainly take it multiple times to achieve the best score possible. If you do very well on the first test - there won't be any point taking it multiple times. Also - don't assume you'll do great because your primary language is English - very very common mistake. You need to dedicate time to studying the marking structure (i.e. how marks are awarded) and taking practice tests if you want to achieve a score that gets you the most points possible. If you just breeze in there and take it - chances are high you won't get the score you were expecting. Like any test - you need to study.
Okay, that might be the best option. Hopefully Express Entry will still be around in a few years time :eek:.

In regards to language tests, I actually taught English as a foreign language for around 3 years and have prepared a few of my students for IELTS (some of them ended up moving to Canada). I would still do a million mock tests before going in though, just to be a 100% sure. Don't want to throw money away :D.

How are Canadian employers with online degrees? That's the cheapest and fastest option for me currently, as I can do the entire degree in 2-2,5 years instead of 4 years. The tests are still taken at the local uni, I'd just do the learning virtually. I heard software engineers are highly sought after and that's something I thought of studying as I already have some freelance web programming experience.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Okay, that might be the best option. Hopefully Express Entry will still be around in a few years time :eek:.

In regards to language tests, I actually taught English as a foreign language for around 3 years and have prepared a few of my students for IELTS (some of them ended up moving to Canada). I would still do a million mock tests before going in though, just to be a 100% sure. Don't want to throw money away :D.

How are Canadian employers with online degrees? That's the cheapest and fastest option for me currently, as I can do the entire degree in 2-2,5 years instead of 4 years. The tests are still taken at the local uni, I'd just do the learning virtually. I heard software engineers are highly sought after and that's something I thought of studying as I already have some freelance web programming experience.
You need to familiarize yourself with the education assessment process. Diplomas / degrees have to be assessed for Canadian equivalency if you want points under Express Entry. You need to make sure the school and program you pick is recognized by the approved assessment agencies.

Jakub

Jul 9, 2018
You need to familiarize yourself with the education assessment process. Diplomas / degrees have to be assessed for Canadian equivalency if you want points under Express Entry. You need to make sure the school and program you pick is recognized by the approved assessment agencies.
I used the free tool available on https://www.wes.org/ca/ and found that the 4 year degree is equal to a Bachelor's Degree and the 1 year Post grad is equal to a Major. The uni is on their list, so I guess I'm good to go? :D