+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Roommate calls cops

Earth2Mars

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
Hi

So my roommate called cops accusing me of stealing a cable
Police showed up and asked if it was true and I denied it because it didn't happen.

We had arguments in the past and at one time there was a screaming match and throwing words at each other like I'll punch you and what not.

Police came and asked me questions, they said we should solve our differences and figure out a solution by moving out and not enter into arguments.

Police asked for my ID, they said they take IDs of the one who reported and the accused for a report.

Is that considered a record on me, affecting my status and citizenship?

Reactions: sairam6304

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
Hi

Police showed up and asked if it was true and I denied it because it didn't happen.

We had arguments in the past and at one time there was a screaming match and throwing words at each other like I'll punch you and what not.

Police came and asked me questions, they said we should solve our differences and figure out a solution by moving out and not enter into arguments.

Police asked for my ID, they said they take IDs of the one who reported and the accused for a report.

Such record wouldn't impact the citizenship application.

Stay safe!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi

....and find another roommate

Via Rail

Aug 8, 2016
Hi

No, this will not affect you in anyway. You were not convicted of any offence. You will not have any criminal records with the police just because of this. Relax, but get another roommate. Avoid trouble.

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Wow I am surprised the Cops even showed up for sure a petty issue. I got mugged once and the cops just took a report on phone and told me it's unlikely anything would come out of it.

Anyways, as everyone said, you weren't convicted so you should be fine. It may not be possible but seriously look at getting another roommate. If you both get into a fight, you may be charged with assault and let me tell you first hand, that shit can ruin someone's life extremely quickly:

I had a neighbour in college (henceforth N) who's roommate hid the guys charger (henceforth R), all in good spirit apparently. N was going through a bad day and wasn't having any of it - after repeatedly demanding that R give back N's charger, N got aggressive and put R in a chokehold. R then decided to call the cops and press charges on N. Long story short, N got deported and lost his admission to the college. N was a very bright guy so just one bad move threw his life down the drain.

Moral of the story: move out bro

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
something similar happened with a guy who lives downstairs, his Gf and he got drunk and started fighting and the girl called the cops. Long story short they took both their details down ID DOB status etc. and let them go.

sairam6304

Mar 7, 2021
Wow I am surprised the Cops even showed up for sure a petty issue. I got mugged once and the cops just took a report on phone and told me it's unlikely anything would come out of it.

Anyways, as everyone said, you weren't convicted so you should be fine. It may not be possible but seriously look at getting another roommate. If you both get into a fight, you may be charged with assault and let me tell you first hand, that shit can ruin someone's life extremely quickly:

I had a neighbour in college (henceforth N) who's roommate hid the guys charger (henceforth R), all in good spirit apparently. N was going through a bad day and wasn't having any of it - after repeatedly demanding that R give back N's charger, N got aggressive and put R in a chokehold. R then decided to call the cops and press charges on N. Long story short, N got deported and lost his admission to the college. N was a very bright guy so just one bad move threw his life down the drain.

Moral of the story: move out bro
I had been in a similar situation can you please explain it more , so in my case the guy didn’t press charges and the cops ‍♀ didn’t arrest me or charge me with anything #Thanks in advance

Humanshado

Jun 27, 2017
Hi

Find another roommate as fast as you can before he puts you in trouble.

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Like how did the guy got deported he got arrested for it or no and also did the other guy didn’t fight him in that case when he choked him # thanks in advance
Yeah so the guy got arrested and was put in jail for a few nights, until his lawyer was paid for by the parents. I believe his roommate had the choice to press charges and they decided to pursue it. After that, I am not sure how he was held but I remember no one could meet him and his lawyer was asking a lot of the students in our floor some questions. Some students were apparently able to get in touch with him and from whom we would get the updates. Then we heard he had been expelled from the college and I finished my residence year. Last I heard he was deported to the US. It was a really weird experience.

sairam6304

Mar 7, 2021
Thanks for all the heads up and info , I feel I had some luck the guy didn’t press charges against me and I was asked by the cops to stay away from him to avoid trouble

sairam6304

Mar 7, 2021
Yeah so the guy got arrested and was put in jail for a few nights, until his lawyer was paid for by the parents. I believe his roommate had the choice to press charges and they decided to pursue it. After that, I am not sure how he was held but I remember no one could meet him and his lawyer was asking a lot of the students in our floor some questions. Some students were apparently able to get in touch with him and from whom we would get the updates. Then we heard he had been expelled from the college and I finished my residence year. Last I heard he was deported to the US. It was a really weird experience.
Was he arrested right away or no #Thanks in advance