+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RO with remote job

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
Hello,

Per my previous post, I am 5 days short of RO as of today and currently I am in the US on H1B.

If I start working as a software developer for a Canadian employer remotely from the US, will it count in my RO days (stop the counter for number of days out of obligation) ?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

Per my previous post, I am 5 days short of RO as of today and currently I am in the US on H1B.

If I start working as a software developer for a Canadian employer remotely from the US, will it count in my RO days (stop the counter for number of days out of obligation) ?

Thanks!
No - this won't count towards RO.

The requirements for counting days towards RO while working for a Canadian employer are extremely specific.

You must first work for that employer in Canada and then be transferred to a temporary role outside of Canada with that same employer. Remote jobs also don't count. You have to be transferred to a role outside of Canada that specifically requires you to be working in that other country for a branch / office that company has in that country.

So short answer for your question is again no.

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
No - this won't count towards RO.

The requirements for counting days towards RO while working for a Canadian employer are extremely specific.

You must first work for that employer in Canada and then be transferred to a temporary role outside of Canada with that same employer. Remote jobs also don't count. You have to be transferred to a role outside of Canada that specifically requires you to be working in that other country for a branch / office that company has in that country.

So short answer for your question is again no.
Thanks!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello,

Thanks!
Is your stay in US still legal? You are not working in US for the employer that applied your H1B?
Are you looking for another US employer? If you work for a Canadian employer, why not move back to meet your RO?

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
Is your stay in US still legal? You are not working in US for the employer that applied your H1B?
Are you looking for another US employer? If you work for a Canadian employer, why not move back to meet your RO?
Yes, I am legally in the US working for US employer.

Meanwhile, I am applying for remote jobs in Canada and some of them seem to be fine if I am situated in the US.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Meanwhile, I am applying for remote jobs in Canada and some of them seem to be fine if I am situated in the US.
A remote job with a Canadian employer will be of zero help when it comes to your residency obligation. The days you spend living in the US will still be counted as days outside of Canada and can't be counted towards RO.

Reactions: rollercoaster

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

If you are still working for a US employer, yes, you are legally staying there with your H1B.

BUT if you accept the offer from a Canadian employer to work remotely (they dont' care where you work as long as you have valid Canadian status), you won't be working for the US employer any more. How do you plan to stay in US? With what visa? Visitor?

And working for a Canadian employer will not change your RO. Any day physically NOT in Canada still do not count towards your RO no matter who you work for. (that's in general)