+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RO Please help need to see my family !!!!

flowerhorn

Nov 26, 2015
Hello Everyone, I have just a bit of concerns before my upcoming trip and I wanted to get your opinion on it. I became a PR on 21 of August 2019 i.e did my landing through flagpole, I was on PGWP before that. Since my landing date I have accumulated about 570 days. I will be leaving on Jan 4th and coming back on Jan 25th. In order to complete my RO I would have to spend 160 days in Canada. In other words, I will still have a buffer of about 6 weeks from the date I meet my RO obligation and five years since landing. My question here is will I face any scuritny at the airport, am I meeting my RO etc. The reason for the low amonut of days was that during 2020 I went home and I stayed there to take care of my parents, one ended up in the hospital for about two months. Then I came back and my dad again had heart issues and I had to go back for another 4 months. Do you think I would face any sort of questioning at the airport or am I worrying too much ???? Should I take any proof with me to show that I was physically present in Canada for the below mentioned dates, please help. Any help will be appreciated, I am once again going to see my parents for three weeks, the past few years have been really stressful and my dad's health is not in it's prime. Congestive heart faliure, clogged artires but surgery is highly risky... that is why I want to go see him.
PR dates : 21 August
Here is the break down of my stay in Canada
PR details : PR since 21 August 2019 : PR card Issue Date : 29 August 2019 PR Expriy : 29 August 2024
21 August 2019 (Day of Landing) - 8 December 2019 ( Departure flight)= 110 days
06-March 2022 (Day of Landing) - 08-May -2022 ( Departure flight) = 64 days
01 July 2022- (Day of landing) - 21 October 2022 ( Departure flight)= 113 days
28 March 2023 ( Day of Landing) - 4 Jan 2024= 283 Days
Will be coming back Jan 25.

Total Days Spent in Canada = 570
Days Required = 730
Days need to be completed after returning = 160

160 days from Jan 25th = July 5th.

Extra days remaning = 47 days.

Last edited:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is impossible for anyone to say what, if anything, the CBSA officer may or may not say. The fact that you are a PR with a valid PR Card means that you will not be denied re-entry into Canada, Even without a valid PR Card, you would not be denied, but would likely have issues with a commercial carrier traveling back to Canada, unless you have a valid U.S. passport.

If using a `PIK' machine at the airport, once you hand the receipt to the officer they may simply waive you through, or...they may question you (perhaps at length) so it's important for you to have your narrative ready, just in case. You may need to show that you will remain in Canada until you have accrued a total of 730 days in Canada since becoming a PR on 21 Aug 2019. Your breakdown above would indicate that on, or about 21 Aug 2024, you will be very close to meeting your R.O., so I suggest staying in Canada after you return until you are approved for and have received a renewed PR card.

As an aside, it's great that you have detailed travel history! Some have little to none, which makes the PR renewal application process a very stressful ordeal.

Enjoy your visit with your parents.

flowerhorn

Nov 26, 2015
Hello Ponga, Thank you so much for your detailed response. I will have met my residence obligation on July 5th about 45 days before my 5 year anniversary of landing i.e getting my PR. In other words, I have a buffer for the completion of my residency obligation. Therefore currently and with my plans as they are I am falling under RO compliance, like I have more days left than I have to be physically present in Canada. In case they ask, what sort of proof I should have?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Ponga, Thank you so much for your detailed response. I will have met my residence obligation on July 5th about 45 days before my 5 year anniversary of landing i.e getting my PR. In other words, I have a buffer for the completion of my residency obligation. Therefore currently and with my plans as they are I am falling under RO compliance, like I have more days left than I have to be physically present in Canada. In case they ask, what sort of proof I should have?
If you are compliant with your RO there isn’t a problem.