+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RO not met, Want to enter Canada with spouse and child from US

contactniraj

Jul 13, 2020
Thanks @SecularFirst for detailed info. I am going to have to go through land border since my PR Card is expired. Not sure which border crossing to go to, I will try to search for it unless you have an opinion on it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks @SecularFirst for detailed info. I am going to have to go through land border since my PR Card is expired. Not sure which border crossing to go to, I will try to search for it unless you have an opinion on it.
There isn't a "best" border where your risk of being reported is much better. Without a valid PR card if you are not visa exempt you have to count on being reported. How much time have you spent in Canada in the past 5 years?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I entered through Toronto airport. They asked about the place to quarantine and the way to get groceries. We rented entire house and one of our friend already left 2 weeks worth of groceries and supplies a day before in the house. They also need a phone number to follow up. I recommend setting up wifi before you move in as visitors are prohibited once you are in quarantine. We have asked public health authorities if someone can come and install wifi at the place while we are all upstairs inside rooms or in the backyard. They said thats fine just minimize contact. Also we asked if something starts leaking or need repair in the house, can we call plumber or electrician while in quarantine. That seems to be okay too.
Just warning you that most internet installers will not be willing to enter your home while you quarantine. It will be against the company's safety policies. They can likely do any outdoor work and leave a modem for you outside your door to install yourself or with the help or someone guiding you over the phone.

contactniraj

Jul 13, 2020
There isn't a "best" border where your risk of being reported is much better. Without a valid PR card if you are not visa exempt you have to count on being reported. How much time have you spent in Canada in the past 5 years?
Hi @canuck78 , Thanks for the info. I have spent around 15 months in Canada in past 5 years. I understand that they can report but I was genuinely not able to travel due to Covid. Do you know of any case where PR were able to cross land border without being reported when their PR card was expired? I am trying to prepare for all possibilities.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi @canuck78 , Thanks for the info. I have spent around 15 months in Canada in past 5 years. I understand that they can report but I was genuinely not able to travel due to Covid. Do you know of any case where PR were able to cross land border without being reported when their PR card was expired? I am trying to prepare for all possibilities.
How do you not have a valid PR card if you have spent 15 months in Canada during the past 5 years. Did you spend a large period of time out of Canada at some point?

Covid has only been an issue in the majority of the world since March. You inability to move has to do more than with covid.

We know very little about your case, your time in Canada and why you missed your RO and allowed your to PR card expire. It is hard to comment for that reason.

contactniraj

Jul 13, 2020
Hi @canuck78 , yes we spent 3 years out of Canada until 2017 December, we moved to Canada in 2017 December transferring my US job to Canada and then stayed in Canada until July 2019 (2 months break in between). We travelled to US in August 2019 to renew my child's visitor status in Canada and attend an official meeting (I worked for a US company in Canada) and were planning to come back to Canada before end of August (expiry date of PR card) and then we came to know that we were expecting our second child. Doctor advised not to travel for first few months and then we were worried to travel because of covid19 and also did not want to stress moving with pregnancy. In April 2020 our second child was born and now our child is 3 months old so we are trying to see how we can go to Canada. Can you please guide what options do I have? Any suggestion on which border crossing I should go to, I will be traveling from San Francisco. Also should I travel alone first and then call family or should we all go together. I am trying to see what will be easier at the border crossing.