+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RO and PR Renewal

seefar

Aug 17, 2020
Hi Everyone,

Hope you all are keeping safe and healthy.

Background:
I and my spouse with our kid came to Canada as a PR in Apr 2016 (stayed here for 27 days), did a soft landing, and left. We moved to Canada permanently in May 2019.
Although we became PR in Apr 2016 however we received our PR cards were issued in July 2016 hence they are expiring in Jul 2021.

By July 2021, we all three would be having 790 days stayed in Canada. However, I know that PR status matters which in our case is Apr 2016, hence if I calculate total no. of days stayed in Canada till Apr 2021 would be around 720.

Query:
1. Should I apply for PR renewal after completing 730 days i.e. after Apr 2021? Or can I apply for renewal before Apr 2021?
2. Lets say I dont apply for renewal and go out of Canada for 2 or 3 weeks carrying the same PR card which shows expiry date Jul 2021. Can I enter into Canada using the same PR card?

Thank you all in advance.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Apply for renewal once you have 730 days in the five years preceding the application. You can travel as long as your current card is valid, but upon returning if the officer suspects you are not in compliance with the RO and you're a few days short, they can report you. A discrepancy that small is normally unlikely to be noticed, but being totally absent from 2016 to 2019 will stand out and draw scrutiny.

seefar

Aug 17, 2020
Apply for renewal once you have 730 days in the five years preceding the application. You can travel as long as your current card is valid, but upon returning if the officer suspects you are not in compliance with the RO and you're a few days short, they can report you. A discrepancy that small is normally unlikely to be noticed, but being totally absent from 2016 to 2019 will stand out and draw scrutiny.
Thank you for your response.

but being totally absent from 2016 to 2019 will stand out and draw scrutiny.
I am just thinking out loud that the red flag should have been raised when we were entering in May 2019. Now after living in Canada for two years nonstop (short of only 10 days in 730 days) and travel for 2-3 weeks and come back within PR validity would less likely raise a flag in my view. Still thanks for highlighting.

I have another query related to Citizenship, let's say once 730 days are completed and we applied for PR renewal and new cards have arrived. When can we apply for citizenship? My understanding is, we can apply once 1095 days are completed in the last 5 years, i.e we will be eligible for citizenship application in Apr 2022.......

Pls let me know if my understanding is correct.

Thanks...

supervisaapplicant

Star Member
Sep 22, 2019
I want to know about citizenship question asked by seefar:

let's say once 730 days are completed and we applied for PR renewal and new cards have arrived. When can we apply for citizenship? My understanding is, we can apply once 1095 days are completed in the last 5 years, i.e we will be eligible for citizenship application in Apr 2022.......

Thanks...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your response.

I am just thinking out loud that the red flag should have been raised when we were entering in May 2019. Now after living in Canada for two years nonstop (short of only 10 days in 730 days) and travel for 2-3 weeks and come back within PR validity would less likely raise a flag in my view. Still thanks for highlighting.

I have another query related to Citizenship, let's say once 730 days are completed and we applied for PR renewal and new cards have arrived. When can we apply for citizenship? My understanding is, we can apply once 1095 days are completed in the last 5 years, i.e we will be eligible for citizenship application in Apr 2022.......

Thanks...
Yes once you meet the 3 out of 5 years.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Yes once you meet the 3 out of 5 years.
citizenship application has nothing to do with the PR card renewal.
Apply for citizenship when the number of days required to apply is met. (add some buffer as some has suggested)

ahmed12

Star Member
Dec 19, 2008
I think PR Holders can apply for citizenship if they complete 3 years period out of 5 years PR validity dates, while if u just meet 2 years RO out of 5 years, Your citizenship eligibility Re-starts from New PR renewal dates. comments from othe member may help understand

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I think PR Holders can apply for citizenship if they complete 3 years period out of 5 years PR validity dates, while if u just meet 2 years RO out of 5 years, Your citizenship eligibility Re-starts from New PR renewal dates. comments from othe member may help understand
PR renewal or PR card renewal is irrelevant to a citizenship application for the purpose of determining physical presence towards a citizenship application.

To apply for citizenship an applicant needs to show they have 3 years physical presence in the country in the 5 years immediately preceeding the date they sign/submit the application. This 3 years physical presence can be a minimum of 2 years as a PR plus one year before becoming a PR credited as one half day for each full day physically in Canada or just the 3 years minimum as a PR in the 5 years..

The key thing is physical presence in the country which you document in the official physical presence calculator/tool. which will inform someone when they can qualify to apply .

Last edited:

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
just stay within Canada until you can apply for citizenship.
border is going to be stronger amid Corona Virus and abusing people.
Permanent Resident is to live within Canada no matter our personal business.

examples:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/permanent-residents.html