+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Risking Visa Denial?

JARice

Apr 1, 2014
I've been accepted to George Brown, but I need to submit my girlfriend's financials for proof of funds. She is a Canadian Citizen, and we're worried how we are supposed to prove that I will return home to the USA after the 2-year program when in fact I want to move to Canada to be with her. Is there a risk in a Study Visa denial by submitting her statements?

samroc

Oct 7, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
Passport Req..
04-07-2017
LANDED..........
10-10-2017
This is tricky. Are you in a common law relationship? For a sponsor, I think it is important to have a strong relationship with the applicant (parents, wife, etc). You and your girlfriend could theoretically breakup and then what? There is no legally documented relationship here unless as I said earlier, you are in a common law relationship.

If you are an American citizen, why don't you arrange for an educational loan and your girlfriend could pay that instead of directly supporting you if she wants to sponsor you? US student loans can be used to study abroad particularly Canada, UK etc. I am not sure exactly which loans offer this benefit but you could easily find that out.

Also, if you are an American or US Permanent Resident, you can apply for a study permit at any border crossing. Just FYI.

This is just my opinion. Hopefully others can shed more light on the issue.

JARice

Apr 1, 2014
We're not in a common law relationship. All we have going for us is a long-distance relationship (we've met many times already) for about 2.5 years.

I am a US citizen, born and raised, but I haven't been able to get approved for a loan. If I were to get approved, how long will that take? I'm sadly limited on time, as I was accepted to GB for September 2014.

I had no idea about the permit application at a border crossing. Do you know where I can get more information on this, i.e. what I need to bring? Is this something I should do ASAP? How long does it usually take to become accepted; is it an immediate yes or no?

samroc

Oct 7, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-05-2017
Passport Req..
04-07-2017
LANDED..........
10-10-2017
The CIC website should have more information. Here is a link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-arriving.asp

Read the information on US citizens and permanent residents. To get a study permit at the port of entry/ border crossing you will need your acceptance letter, proof of funds etc along with your US passport. I think that's it. They will make the decision on the spot. As a US citizen you are visa exempt, so you don't need a visa per say. Just the study permit document which you can apply for when you enter Canada.

JARice

Apr 1, 2014
Hi Samroc, sorry to have to bother you again. Is it best to arrive just a little before school begins? Classes will begin in September. Would it be a terrible idea to visit a port of entry (probably Peace Bridge/Fort Erie) sometime in May to obtain a study permit in advance? What would happen if I arrange for everything like housing, etc, only to be denied my study permit at the border crossing right before school starts?

Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thank you!