Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2012
LANDED..........
13-04-2012
Hey bros and sis,
I just want to confirm something here:i know that for a permanent resident to sponsor someone, he/she should be residing in Canada , well my question is: WHEN IS THE RIGHT MOMENT for a permament resident who returns to Canada to file a sponsorship application? I became PR last year and i am going back to Canada to settle at the end of this year, BUT i read somewhere that to be considered a resident ,one has to live in Canada for at least 6 months and only then can he/she submit his/her application to sponsor. Is that true? i would like to sponsor my wife right after i return to Canada , i mean in the following weeks after my return . would that be possible? ???
Thanks !
God bless

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Once you have moved back to Canada, you can apply to sponsor right away. The '6 months' rule you read was probably for income tax.

Zagalo

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing , China
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2011
File Transfer...
10-01-2012
Med's Done....
3-10-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2012
LANDED..........
13-04-2012
Thanks Canadian woman God bless!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Zagalo said:
Hey bros and sis,
I just want to confirm something here:i know that for a permanent resident to sponsor someone, he/she should be residing in Canada , well my question is: WHEN IS THE RIGHT MOMENT for a permament resident who returns to Canada to file a sponsorship application? I became PR last year and i am going back to Canada to settle at the end of this year, BUT i read somewhere that to be considered a resident ,one has to live in Canada for at least 6 months and only then can he/she submit his/her application to sponsor. Is that true? i would like to sponsor my wife right after i return to Canada , i mean in the following weeks after my return . would that be possible? ???
Thanks !
God bless
As a note, the tax agency can consider you "a resident" for tax purposes, before you become a PR.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/nnrs-eng.html

Deemed residents

You are a deemed resident for tax purposes for the entire tax year if you:

stay in Canada for 183 days or more in that tax year;
do not have residential ties with Canada; and
are not considered a resident of another country under the terms of a tax treaty.
If this is your situation, see deemed residents for the rules that apply to you.

Deemed non-residents
If you are a factual resident of Canada and a resident of another country with which Canada has a tax treaty, you may be considered a deemed non resident of Canada for tax purposes.

You become a deemed non-resident of Canada when your ties with the other country become such that, under the tax treaty, you would be considered a resident of that other country.
As a deemed non-resident, the same rules apply to you as a non-resident of Canada.

What are residential ties?
Residential ties include:

a home in Canada;
a spouse or common-law partner (see the definition in the General Income Tax and Benefit Guide) or dependants in Canada;
personal property in Canada, such as a car or furniture;
social ties in Canada.
Other ties that may be relevant include:

a Canadian driver's licence;
Canadian bank accounts or credit cards;
health insurance with a Canadian province or territory.