+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RFV letter? what does it mean?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi all,

I have a question. When is the RFV letter the same as PPR?

I got it this morning (for my wife who is my dependent and lives overseas), I live in Canada?

Any thoughts?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
@wolfpmd - what is the email subject when you received RFV letter from cic.
Your are lucky I saw this. You didn't tag me properly.

Yes, the RFV letter is = PPR.

There subject was "Request letter", just a message in my account, a PDF.

It hadmy wife's name followed by "-RFV letter" as a name for the PDF - - > this is the passport and photo request. This means it's over the application has been approved.

harryguns

Sep 27, 2019
Your are lucky I saw this. You didn't tag me properly.

Yes, the RFV letter is = PPR.

There subject was "Request letter", just a message in my account, a PDF.

It hadmy wife's name followed by "-RFV letter" as a name for the PDF - - > this is the passport and photo request. This means it's over the application has been approved.
Congrats. Basically we have the same case, Married after AOR.
Even I got the same letter last month and it states that the overseas dependent must send the passport to VAC only after the principal applicant has got the confirmation of PR.
Local IRCC office is yet to contact me for the landing details. The wait is long!

Reactions: sososuku

SuhasNambiar

Mar 17, 2021
Hi There,

I just received an update on my profile from CIC profile as below:

"Client Enquiry: RFV needs to be filled out by spouse. This must be received at this office by: 2021/11/09"

I have also been given a location under upload documents to submit the RFV letter. From some research, RFV means Request For Visa, however, I am not sure what to fill and submit for my spouse who is outland. Quite limited information around this online as well.

Any insight on this is greatly appreciated.

About my profile:
1. CEC Class - AOR in Nov 2020
2. Married and added spouse to my application in Mar 2021 (After AOR).
3. Spouse added to my EE profile and currently in India.
4. I haven't received the COPR confirmation yet.

About my Spouse profile:
1. Biometrics and medicals are done.
2. Re-medicals done in Sept 2021.

Sanjay35821

Star Member
Aug 9, 2020
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
09-08-2020
Med's Done....
30-09-2020
I have received the Request (RFV) letter for Dependents (spouse) on October 7, 2021, which states Passports for dependent(s) should only be submitted after you, the primary applicant has received the confirmation of permanent residence status" and I am still waiting for my eCoPR.

Currently, I have also received Permanent Resident Confirmation Portal access and confirmed the In-Canada declaration and uploaded documents required on Oct 25, 2021, and waiting for my eCoPR.

Any insight on this is greatly appreciated.
Do I need to wait until I receive my eCOPR or can I request my spouse to send her passport to the visa office to obtain her travel visa and documentation now?

Request(RFV) letter- October 7, 2021

Portal email- Oct 6, 2021
Portal Credentials- Oct 25, 2021
Photo and address- submitted Oct 25, 2021
COPR- WAITING
VO Ottawa, Secondary- Etobicoke

JP_Pham

Apr 8, 2021
Doc's Request.
27-10-2021
Med's Request
27-10-2021
Med's Done....
05-11-2021
Passport Req..
29-11-2021
I have received the Request (RFV) letter for November 29, 2021,
Still wait and see.

jakshat12

Feb 21, 2022
Hi Everyone!
I am in a similar boat as everyone and it would be great if anyone could help clarify my query and avoid the confusion.
@Wolfpmd3 @harryguns @Sanjay35821

I got married after receiving my AOR and my wife is in India and is an overseas dependent.
I have received by eCoPR on January 28, 2022 with my wife's name listed as dependent.
I haven't received any rfv letter from India immigration (nearest VAC) for my wife.

I did receive a request letter with my UCI details and the content of the 2nd page looks similar to below

STEP 2: Passport Requirements – Determine if you need to submit your passport(s)
Determine whether you need a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to
Canada at: www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/visit/visas.asp

a. If your passport is from a country whose citizens need a visa to travel to Canada,
you will need to submit original passport(s) for you and each accompanying family
member. Your passport(s) should be valid for at least 6 months and have at least two
blank pages. If a child is included on your passport, you must have one blank page per
accompanying child.
Please note that you STILL need to submit your passport(s) even if:
o You or your accompanying family members have a valid Canadian
temporary residence visa or permit.
o You or your accompanying family members are permanent residents of the
U.S.A and holder of passport(s) from countries whose citizens need a visa
to travel to Canada.
Note: All passports must be intact and not worn, torn or otherwise damaged; the
laminate on the bio-data page must be securely attached. Each page must be securely
affixed to the passport; there cannot be any loose pages.

Is this the RFV for my wife? On speaking to IRCC folks and general research, I think we still need to wait for my wife's RFV. Can anyone confirm ?
Its been more than 20 days and we haven't received the RFV.

Many thanks in advance if someone could help.
Best Regards,
Akshat

lethaltaurus

Star Member
Oct 27, 2021
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
17-09-2021
Hi Everyone!
I am in a similar boat as everyone and it would be great if anyone could help clarify my query and avoid the confusion.

I got married after receiving my AOR and my wife is in India and is an overseas dependent.
I have received by eCoPR on January 28, 2022 with my wife's name listed as dependent.
I haven't received any rfv letter from India immigration (nearest VAC) for my wife.

I did receive a request letter with my UCI details and the content of the 2nd page looks similar to below

STEP 2: Passport Requirements – Determine if you need to submit your passport(s)
Determine whether you need a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to

a. If your passport is from a country whose citizens need a visa to travel to Canada,
you will need to submit original passport(s) for you and each accompanying family
member. Your passport(s) should be valid for at least 6 months and have at least two
blank pages. If a child is included on your passport, you must have one blank page per
accompanying child.
to travel to Canada.
laminate on the bio-data page must be securely attached. Each page must be securely

Is this the RFV for my wife? On speaking to IRCC folks and general research, I think we still need to wait for my wife's RFV. Can anyone confirm ?

Best Regards,
Akshat
If you have received eCOPR then you are waiting PR card and assuming you are in Canada now?. This letter is for your dependent's passport request.

jakshat12

Feb 21, 2022
If you have received eCOPR then you are waiting PR card and assuming you are in Canada now?. This letter is for your dependent's passport request.
Hey @lethaltaurus,

Yes, I am in Canada and awaiting PR card.
The confusion is that this letter was received with my UCI details and from Montreal immigration.
What Ircc customer support mentioned was we will receive a passport request for my wife from nearest VAC in India and with my wife's UCI details.

Given, there is no sure-shot answer, is it safe to send passport to VAC in India, if in any case they don't accept the documents and photos?
Do they return the passport safely?

Providing complete details of the letter -

The processing of your application for permanent residence in Canada is almost complete. You
must complete the following steps within 30 days in order for our office to issue your
Confirmation of Permanent Residence and, if applicable, your permanent residence visa. If for
any reason you are not able to meet this deadline, please inform our Montreal Immigration office
immediately via the IRCC Web Form: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp with
details concerning your situation.
Due to the current situation regarding the novel coronavirus, if you are unable to provide the
requested documents by the due date, please advise our office. We understand that some
documentation may be unobtainable at this time. Your application will not be refused because
you are unable to provide the requested document on time.
STEP 1: Change in Circumstances:
Should any of the following circumstances apply to you or any accompanying family member,
you must inform this office immediately:
 Change in marital status, for example due to marriage, divorce, legal separation,
annulment or death of spouse;
 Change in family composition, for example due to adoption or birth of a child, including a
child born to your accompanying dependent child,
 Death of principal applicant, spouse, accompanying children, or death of sponsoring
relative;
 Change in health;
 You or any of your accompanying family members being charged or convicted of a
criminal offence
 Change in contact information: mailing address, e-mail address, or telephone number.

Your failure to inform us of any of these changes may result in the cancellation of your
permanent resident visa and may render you and your accompanying family members
inadmissible to Canada.

accompanying child.
to travel to Canada.
b. If your passport is from a country whose citizens need an eTA to travel to Canada
or your passport is from the United States, you will need to submit one photocopy of
the photo page and any pages containing amendments of the passport for you and each
accompanying family member (Note: any accompanying family member whose passport
does require a visa however, will need to submit their original passport as per Step 2a).
Your passport(s) should be valid for at least 6 months. Please do not send your
original passport(s).
*** Please note that Confirmation of Permanent Residence and permanent resident visas
cannot be issued on Diplomatic, Official or Military passports or travel documents. You must
provide an ordinary passport. ***

STEP 3: PREPARE YOUR DOCUMENTS
You must submit together:
1. One copy of this letter.
2. Passport(s) OR photocopy(ies) of passport(s), as explained in Step 2.

3. Two (2) photos of yourself and of each accompanying family member. Photos MUST
meet the precise specifications found in the link below or in Appendix A at the end of this

letter. If you submit photos that do not meet the exact specifications, your package will
be returned to you. www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/5445EB-e.pdf
4. If not yet paid, Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF) for you and your
accompanying spouse (if applicable). We strongly encourage you to pay your fees online
and provide a copy of the receipt. To pay your fees online, click here:
https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/epay/welcome.do.
5. The height and eye colour (for both eyes) for the Principal Applicant and all of his
accompanying dependants
All required documents must be submitted in one single package.
A) To submit your package while overseas:
Please submit your package to the nearest Visa Application Centre along with the VAC
Passport Transmission fee.
For Passport Transmission instructions and fee details, please visit:
https://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/
B) If you are currently in Canada, you are not required to submit your passport and will
be landed virtually. Please advise our office via webform within 5 days of receipt of
this letter if you and/or any of your dependents are in Canada. Please include each
person’s name/UCI and where they are currently staying/residing (in Canada or
overseas).

Thanks,
Akshat

Last edited:

lethaltaurus

Star Member
Oct 27, 2021
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
17-09-2021
Hey @lethaltaurus,

Yes, I am in Canada and awaiting PR card.
The confusion is that this letter was received with my UCI details and from Montreal immigration.
What Ircc customer support mentioned was we will receive a passport request for my wife from nearest VAC in India and with my wife's UCI details.

Given, there is no sure-shot answer, is it safe to send passport to VAC in India, if in any case they don't accept the documents and photos?
Do they return the passport safely?

Providing complete details of the letter -

The processing of your application for permanent residence in Canada is almost complete. You
must complete the following steps within 30 days in order for our office to issue your
Confirmation of Permanent Residence and, if applicable, your permanent residence visa. If for
any reason you are not able to meet this deadline, please inform our Montreal Immigration office
immediately via the IRCC Web Form: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp with
details concerning your situation.
Due to the current situation regarding the novel coronavirus, if you are unable to provide the
requested documents by the due date, please advise our office. We understand that some
documentation may be unobtainable at this time. Your application will not be refused because
you are unable to provide the requested document on time.
STEP 1: Change in Circumstances:
Should any of the following circumstances apply to you or any accompanying family member,
you must inform this office immediately:
 Change in marital status, for example due to marriage, divorce, legal separation,
annulment or death of spouse;
 Change in family composition, for example due to adoption or birth of a child, including a
child born to your accompanying dependent child,
 Death of principal applicant, spouse, accompanying children, or death of sponsoring
relative;
 Change in health;
 You or any of your accompanying family members being charged or convicted of a
criminal offence
 Change in contact information: mailing address, e-mail address, or telephone number.

Your failure to inform us of any of these changes may result in the cancellation of your
permanent resident visa and may render you and your accompanying family members
inadmissible to Canada.

accompanying child.
to travel to Canada.
b. If your passport is from a country whose citizens need an eTA to travel to Canada
or your passport is from the United States, you will need to submit one photocopy of
the photo page and any pages containing amendments of the passport for you and each
accompanying family member (Note: any accompanying family member whose passport
does require a visa however, will need to submit their original passport as per Step 2a).
Your passport(s) should be valid for at least 6 months. Please do not send your
original passport(s).
*** Please note that Confirmation of Permanent Residence and permanent resident visas
cannot be issued on Diplomatic, Official or Military passports or travel documents. You must
provide an ordinary passport. ***

STEP 3: PREPARE YOUR DOCUMENTS
You must submit together:
1. One copy of this letter.
2. Passport(s) OR photocopy(ies) of passport(s), as explained in Step 2.

3. Two (2) photos of yourself and of each accompanying family member. Photos MUST
meet the precise specifications found in the link below or in Appendix A at the end of this

letter. If you submit photos that do not meet the exact specifications, your package will
be returned to you. www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/5445EB-e.pdf
4. If not yet paid, Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF) for you and your
accompanying spouse (if applicable). We strongly encourage you to pay your fees online
and provide a copy of the receipt. To pay your fees online, click here:
https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/epay/welcome.do.
5. The height and eye colour (for both eyes) for the Principal Applicant and all of his
accompanying dependants
All required documents must be submitted in one single package.
A) To submit your package while overseas:
Please submit your package to the nearest Visa Application Centre along with the VAC
Passport Transmission fee.
For Passport Transmission instructions and fee details, please visit:
https://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/
B) If you are currently in Canada, you are not required to submit your passport and will
be landed virtually. Please advise our office via webform within 5 days of receipt of
this letter if you and/or any of your dependents are in Canada. Please include each
person’s name/UCI and where they are currently staying/residing (in Canada or
overseas).

Thanks,
Akshat
All correspondence will be addressed to primary applicant even though only dependents fall in that criteria. As you are at Canada, accompanying dependents (as mentioned in ecopr) needs to send passport to VFS at India.

Jass08

Nov 5, 2021
Hi Everyone!

accompanying child.
to travel to Canada.

Best Regards,
Akshat
Please share email address of Montreal office from where u received this letter please